January 18-20, 2024 | Ohio Valley Snow event

RobB

• Admin

It is ridiculous with our technological advancements that we're looking at these kinds of differences some 36 hours before the event starts. 3"-4" is a pretty much city-wide school shut-down event. 1" is not. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 3

5 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

Looks better I’d say 

IMG_1855.png

Definitely...

Maybe just me, but I'm not banking on much additional accumulation after 18z Fri.

Models are in pretty good agreement that the steady snow will have moved out by then & scattered snow showers start to take over. Considering how hit/miss those are around here, anything after 18z Fri would just be icing on the cake. The RGEM is tacking on an additional 1.0-1.5" across central OH once the scattered snow showers take over. I'd gladly take it, but very skeptical for obvious reasons.

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 2

7 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

It is ridiculous with our technological advancements that we're looking at these kinds of differences some 36 hours before the event starts. 3"-4" is a pretty much city-wide school shut-down event. 1" is not. 

Still think the timing & the fact that it's a Friday will cause plenty of delays/closings even if central OH sees the lower end of 2-4"

• LIKE 2

Just now, MesoscaleBanding said:

Still think the timing & the fact that it's a Friday will cause plenty of delays/closings even if central OH sees the lower end of 2-4"

Also yesterday's fiasco will factor in as well, IMO. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
Just now, MesoscaleBanding said:

Oh, I agree, it's just mind-boggling that we're looking at these big time different scenarios.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

I haven't commented on the earlier season's SUCK 2.0, but being a bit more objective.  We are very quick to say "no way" (deservingly so) when the models show snow and quick to assume they're right when they show next to nothing.  I'm going to go out on a limb here in Columbus and say, this is a rare case of the latter and the model being WRONG.  The second wave is pretty much the benchmark track and we have the cold air in place.  Something just isn't right with how the models are representing the lack of interaction.  Maybe it has something to do with cold dry air and how light the precipitation wll be, but I'm going to will the damn radar to fill in!   

Also, if for any reason I see ONE, JUST ONE pellet of sleet during this event, you can find me playing frogger on I-71!

Edited by Cheezemm2
  • LAUGH 2
  • TROPHY 2

With the southwest breeze and sun, it is up to 28 degrees now at the house......Wind adds a chill but I do not mind a bit of a break..

• LIKE 3
  • HOT 1

Maybe I'm just impatient, but is this new RRFS model driving anyone else crazy with its incredibly slow load time? Seems like it takes 2 hours to load all 60 frames once initialized, LOL 😂- the powers that be need to get that fixed if it really is going to replace the HRRR/RAP/3km later this year. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Maybe I'm just impatient, but is this new RRFS model driving anyone else crazy with its incredibly slow load time? Seems like it takes 2 hours to load all 60 frames once initialized, LOL 😂- the powers that be need to get that fixed if it really is going to replace the HRRR/RAP/3km later this year. 

So, is RRFS the Rapid Refresh Forecasting System?

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Well it introduced the giant dry slot this run, so it can get thrown out with the trash for all I care, lol.

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

ref1km_ptype.us_ov.png

Honestly, with the luck we have been having it only makes sense. I am a pretty positive person, but I am ready for spring. I just do not handle the cold like I used to. 

• THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

Honestly, with the luck we have been having it only makes sense. I am a pretty positive person, but I am ready for spring. I just do not handle the cold like I used to. 

You sound exactly like me!

• Admin
3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Dry slot just sits over central OH for HOURS while it snows steadily to the north & south. This can't be real life 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

ref1km_ptype.us_ov(1).png

If it's meant to replace the HRRR/Rap/3km, that would mean that its accuracy would be crap-a-doodle this far out. We can just bank on that, lol.