January 18-20, 2024 | Ohio Valley Snow event

RobB

3 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

It must be wildy hit or miss this year then. It was absolutely embarrassing a few days ago here. All models showed a half inch or less and it was steadfast on a giant area of 1-3" from IL, IN, OH, no one even got an inch, talking a multi state area. Seems like every model fails miserably from time to time

Indeed they all do fail. It's kind of odd that it let you down so much. It's not only this forum that the EC crowd has noticed how well it handles systems. I've seen it being praised on 3 other weather sites I frequent. 

This, to me, is wild because, generally, I despise all CMC product - so I'm stunned it's performed so well. Maybe it's because NAM is absolute JUNK and Baby-G shines by comparison. (though NAM was the first to nail Jonas in Jan 2016 when no other model believed it) . 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

CLE with some model discussion this AM:

We are seeing better agreement that the clipper diving out of the northern Plains will interact with a small shortwave in the sub- tropical jet stream over the Ohio Valley Thursday night into Friday. This interaction increases confidence in a widespread light to moderate snow across our entire forecast area. There is still some disagreement among guidance regarding how much the incoming clipper interacts/phases with the shortwave over the Ohio Valley...models phase more, such as the NAM and Canadian, develop a surface low over West Virginia Friday morning and close off a mid-level low. This would lead to stronger lift capable of supporting period of banded snow and higher snow rates Friday morning and widespread moderate snow totals. The European model has a bit less interaction, leading to an open surface trough with somewhat lighter snow amounts. The general trend among the operational models and ensembles has been for more interaction between the two systems so this forecast increased QPF and resultant snow a bit more across the entire area. This still has room to trend a bit more in either direction. One thing that`s agreed upon is that the dendritic growth zone will become quite deep Thursday night into Friday morning, possibly 150- 200mb deep for a time. Guidance suggests lift will intersect this favorable snow growth at times through midday Friday supporting a fluffy, high-ratio snow. The European and GFS ensembles both suggest high to very-high confidence in QPF greater than 0.10" area-wide with the synoptic snow, leading to high confidence in at least a couple inches of snow for everyone given the snow ratios.

• Moderators

I clicked on about a half dozen 03z SREF plumes across OH and IN just now, just about all of them are showing increases since the last cycle. 

I'll be back late this afternoon or tonight with the first installment of the SREF Tracker.

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 2

Looking like 2" is a lock, 3" is likely, 4" possible for central OH - especially north of I-70

Just wish their was more of a ceiling to hope for though. So weak & fast-moving with very little available moisture. Would love to see today's model runs bring back a little juice to this thing.

Edited by MesoscaleBanding

You’ll drive yourself crazy watching the NAM flip flop every 6 hours lol. My 0.02 is, give it til 12z tomorrow. I remember hearing Bernie Rayno mention he looks at the NAM in the 24hr range. That seems like sound advice. 

• LIKE 1