Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

1.9 is exactly what I just put down in my record for 11:30 obs, and that is not my report there so I can verify it. 

Trained spotter just northwest of Hershey.. Cool that the numbers worked...

12 miles nnw of center city Philadelphia. Went back out at 11:15 (about 2 hours after coming back in from the first expedition). Two inches had fallen (bringing the total to 3). Was out there for 35 minutes, during which at best a coating fell and at times the snow looked more like flurries. Looking out the window now and it looks more like flurries, 29F. A bit of wind (always at my face no matter which way I turn 🙂 )

• LIKE 2

Thought it was done here sun peaked through then wind shift and moderate snow back on. Measured 2.5 so may make my goal of 3 if this continues.

image.png.591ea842b627fe6243a046dec7252278.png

Edited by Pghsnow

12pm: 1.6"

No new accum past hour, however it has picked up a little with a final last gasp here early tjis PM. Temps are at 32, so wonder how well it will accumulate, or maybe compaction will make it appear as no new accums. 🤷‍♂️

inmaREPA_ (3).gif

• LIKE 2

41 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

Yup sometimes it does but not this time.  We at least have mood flakes and 3/4 “ of snow.

Snow showers blowing into the Roanoke Valley this morning. Just winter scenic, not enough to matter. 

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

No new accum past hour, however it has picked up a little with a final last gasp here early tjis PM. Temps are at 32, so wonder how well it will accumulate, or maybe compaction will make it appear as no new accums. 🤷‍♂️

inmaREPA_ (3).gif

Heavier stuff seems to be setting up southern half of NJ, slowed down a bit here, hopefully those greens expand northwards a bit. 

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

inmaREPA_ (3).gif

Wow - 32?? Mine hasn't moved 3 degrees all day. 

My GGG Grandson Jake, from State Farm and Cherry Hill NJ just sent me a pic of 3.5"

image.png.7592179f4544ba687de9743b78eacae7.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Wow - 32?? Mine hasn't moved 3 degrees all day. 

My GGG Grandson Jake, from State Farm and Cherry Hill NJ just sent me a pic of 3.5"

32 indeed. Looks like temp vary wildly around town. Strange.

Screenshot_20240119-121344_Chrome.jpg

• Moderators

SPC meso uses the RAP - this is how the RAP depicts the inverted trough.  The inverted trough begins really in hr 2 or 3 and is the bulge on the NW side of the low.  Seems aimed at the Delaware Bay, then pulls away and rotates south. 

floop-rap-2024011916.ref1km_ptype.us_ma.thumb.gif.08eb119f0ed56e8b404f1759b73c5b14.gif

3 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

SPC meso uses the RAP - this is how the RAP depicts the inverted trough.  The inverted trough begins really in hr 2 or 3 and is the bulge on the NW side of the low.  Seems aimed at the Delaware Bay, then pulls away and rotates south. 

floop-rap-2024011916.ref1km_ptype.us_ma.thumb.gif.08eb119f0ed56e8b404f1759b73c5b14.gif

Add this and you have a winner

Screenshot 2024-01-19 121545.png

• SKEPTICAL 1

It's more than a bit lucky that we have had this basically ONE week of cold and snow -- and will go solidly back to our base state of warm. 

Enjoy what we are getting - it sure looks like it will have to hold us over for a while. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

1 hour ago, Squepp said:

He used a measuring shtick 🤣

1 hour ago, Squepp said:

He used a measuring shtick 🤣

All I had onme was a Lithuanian cloth measuring tape.  But it only had 1-59/64th on the tape, so I guessed a little.

• LIKE 1