Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

Radar looks pretty rough, patchy up this way.  But, if HRRR is correct, about 9am-12pm there's a bit of a boost/fill-in before moving out, to get that majority of folks up to that 2" threshold.

• LIKE 1

Wife is happy. Schools were on 2 hour delay  now closed. 

1-2 or 2-3 does not matter. The idiots are still on the road.

Dry slot coming down here.

IMG_0549.gif

IMG_0550.gif

• LIKE 3

1 minute ago, Wtkidz said:

Wife is happy. Schools were on 2 hour delay  now closed. 

1-2 or 2-3 does not matter. The idiots are still on the road.

Dry slot coming down here.

IMG_0549.gif

IMG_0550.gif

That and arctic air mass in place guarantees anything that falls will stick. School cancelled in Monroe county in PA too.

Snow began around 445 here. Currently 25° moderate snow. Forecast 4-6 inches 

NWS once again waited until the last second to upgrade to a WSW for my area. They issued it at 328am. Who the heck is going to see that. Lol. Oh well, just shows their confidence in winter weather as of late. They handled Tuesday storm in same fashion 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

9 minutes ago, Squepp said:

Snow began around 445 here. Currently 25° moderate snow. Forecast 4-6 inches 

NWS once again waited until the last second to upgrade to a WSW for my area. They issued it at 328am. Who the heck is going to see that. Lol. Oh well, just shows their confidence in winter weather as of late. They handled Tuesday storm in same fashion 

Shoot that's nothin! MT Holly issued WSW MIDEVENT the past two times. 

• FACEPALM 1

• Meteorologist

I would not be surprised if they do pull the trigger and add york and lancaster county to WSW status the way it looks to be setting up right now sure does warrant it.

Maybe even adams county I believe that is where gettysburg is

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I am on the very N periphery of the S PA best returns and even there it's coming down fairly decent rate

I couldn't figure out how to get the thing to show the radar without clicking the link.

Yea that batch SW of you has caught my eye should continue slowly east.

2 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

I couldn't figure out how to get the thing to show the radar without clicking the link.

Yea that batch SW of you has caught my eye should continue slowly east.

In this image, I am right at the second R in Harrisburg. 

image.thumb.png.789fcf856ba560bf4b91c36c93d42a71.png

• Social Media Crew
6 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I am on the very N periphery of the S PA best returns and even there it's coming down fairly decent rate

Same here! Hoping the back end can fill in.. but at least I’m in some of the better returns for the moment. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

In this image, I am right at the second R in Harrisburg. 

image.thumb.png.789fcf856ba560bf4b91c36c93d42a71.png

Nice!

Yea this is why it has caught my eye. 850mb trying to capture the surface too. Will definitely be a little too far away but still that is your norlun like feature setting up.

8fnt.gif

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

850 fronto, nice. Often it's H7 that we look to the most, but H8.5 can also produce, as is evident. 

Yea H7 isn't all too setup just yet but getting there some fronto near the coast.

Also checking out 925mb it has virtually captured that with the coastal just off OBX.

A bit above my knowledge base - I know divergence causes heights to fall and convergence promotes a rise. So why such overlap?

SWH or anyone else care to explain in layman terms. Is this relative to wind speed at heights? Of am I simply misreading this as being conflicting when in fact it's self perpetuating? 

image.thumb.png.0b4054548aed6e4282b8a901ef6e36c0.png

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

A bit above my knowledge base - I know divergence causes heights to fall and convergence promotes a rise. So why such overlap?

SWH or anyone else care to explain in layman terms. Is this relative to wind speed at heights? Of am I simply misreading this as being conflicting when in fact it's self perpetuating? 

image.thumb.png.0b4054548aed6e4282b8a901ef6e36c0.png

Red lines are your low level convergence purples are your upper level divergence showing strong lift where they overlap. The color fill is to show just how strong those differences are.

• THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, so_whats_happening said:

Red lines are your low level convergence purples are your upper level divergence showing strong lift where they overlap. The color fill is to show just how strong those differences are.

then how does the strong differential promote (or inhibit) insitu effect.