Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

Just now, Lazman said:

We need an oblique discussion from Doorman, with a JRenken OFM map to get the answer. 

We have to detox DM from the scars of freakin  American site. He may need 30 day grace period to cleanse from all the obnoxious dhead ego’s there. Not used to nice, funny posters that don’t think they invented weather😀

• TROPHY 1

26 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

I see, you had a finger stroke from staring at Clap’s model run comparisons for too long. Just kept hitting save button uncontrollably 😂

Ya. Those flash screens of his cause me AGITA! Ok tho. Nothing a neat bourbon won’t take care of medicinally speaking. 

Edited by Rickrd

19 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Waiting to see a new pic of Stretch climbing out of the server lab. Dusty , shirt torn, eyes bulging, hair standing straight up, looking like the one robber from Home Alone. I will let the door hit me in the arss on the way out 👍

It was Snobal. UTS was onto something earlier..... probably Newports for the flavah!

Basement-Dweller-thumb-1.jpg

Edited by Lazman
  • LAUGH 2

• Meteorologist
14 hours ago, Lazman said:

Temperatures would not support 18:1 ratios, no? 

Screenshot_20240118-103016.png

Surface temps don't mean a thing for snow ratios. It is dependent in the region in where the snow forms. The most ideal snow  growth temp is around -10 to -12C. How deep that layer is and where it is collocated with the best lifting will determine ratios. 

Look for those temps around 700mb which is about the most important layer outside of 850mb temps for winter weather forecasting.

• LIKE 4

• Meteorologist

It does look like this region will see the best low level convergence and mid level temps, you can start to see it setting up now. Right along the PA/MD border i really wouldn't be surprised of 6"+ stretching into Philly and central/southern jersey.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 003924.png

• LIKE 4

6 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Surface temps don't mean a thing for snow ratios. It is dependent in the region in where the snow forms. The most ideal snow  growth temp is around -10 to -12C. How deep that layer is and where it is collocated with the best lifting will determine ratios. 

Look for those temps around 700mb which is about the most important layer outside of 850mb temps for winter weather forecasting.

Doesn't the column have to support cold air all the way down though for proper dendrite growth?

• Meteorologist
Just now, Lazman said:

Doesn't the column have to support cold air all the way down though for proper dendrite growth?

You could have a surface temp of 32-36 and 925mb of 28-32 and still get great dendritic growth. Now it doesn't mean as it comes down it wont melt, in that scenario you tend to get those huge globes of snow falling from the sky. The thicker the -10 to -12C region the better but as long as strong lift and those temps exist and are within the same region you get those much better ratios.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

You could have a surface temp of 32-36 and 925mb of 28-32 and still get great dendritic growth. Now it doesn't mean as it comes down it wont melt, in that scenario you tend to get those huge globes of snow falling from the sky. The thicker the -10 to -12C region the better but as long as strong lift and those temps exist and are within the same region you get those much better ratios.

The best case scenario is having temps go isothermal through the column until about 600mb. In that case you get an extremely deep DGZ (dendritic growth zone) and things pile up rather quickly so long as there is ample moisture as well.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, Lazman said:

I remember reading that the first layouts of the interstate road system would include straight sections about a mile long every so many miles in order to land bombers. 

Interstates were based heavily off of Germany. There is a reason a Highway/Interstate is built up vs a surface street. The Highways were made to support mechanized machinery (ie Tanks) for warfare as well as Aircraft. When Hitler had the country building the Autobahn, it was for the mechanized units. 

4 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Do they restrict empty CMV's when it's windy?

At times 

4 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Honestly. This has got to be something new. Maybe they’re testing it? I have never seen this before when they’re calling for a 6-12” snowstorm. 

I just know that I have a business and ship out between 5 and 10 trailer loads of product everyday. This is just going to F#%k everything up for tomorrow, production included and mess thinks up for next week. Pathetic. 

3 hours ago, TLChip said:

Lol, I guess they could send me a truck full of metal but once it's unloaded it'd have to wait to go back to the yard.

Did we have parking lot interstates this week? I guess working in the boonies away from metro has its perks. Road's haven't been great but passable.

Actually, very plausible. The thought behind that is two fold. 1) More weight = better traction. (2) Less interruption to the economy (in theory) 

3 hours ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

This was a new invention started over a year ago, to help centralize road info and alerts- and to help with stranded trucks. Again, it is a govt operation, so there’s that. What the theory was, according to the state when they explained it to us was to pre plan so that a truck/trucker would not embark on a trip, only to find that a road was closed, etc. yes to wind conditions also. Much different with a truck  to reroute, especially late. 
ya, we think it is gross overkill, and a govt op. But, it is nice to know that something like a major thoroughfare is restricted before you leave though.

3 hours ago, JDClapper said:

Was that the November, I think 2018? storm?  That was a disaster.  2-5" forecast turned 9-12" reality.

2 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Got it. Thanks. But seems overkill for this one. 

So this was designed because Comm. Motor Vehicles (CMVs) create quit the hazard when incidents take place. 

--) They are much more likely to cause full road closures

--) Delays cause snow and ice to build up and snow plows are unavailable to transverse the interstate so as to keep it clear

--) It diverts a tremendous amount of resources to the incident, yet these resources also have trouble approaching the incident 

--) In theory, it should provide a more even stream of flow for the CMVs

--) It is meant to save lives and money 

All of that being said, the system is subjective at times and the scaling up and down of the alerts are not quite as easy as one would like. that withstanding, it does show promise. 

And yes - overkill it is more often than not. Granted, it is an intangible measure as an incident which did not take place is immeasurable. 

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 2

6 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Interstates were based heavily off of Germany. There is a reason a Highway/Interstate is built up vs a surface street. The Highways were made to support mechanized machinery (ie Tanks) for warfare as well as Aircraft. When Hitler had the country building the Autobahn, it was for the mechanized units. 

At times 

Actually, very plausible. The thought behind that is two fold. 1) More weight = better traction. (2) Less interruption to the economy (in theory) 

So this was designed because Comm. Motor Vehicles (CMVs) create quit the hazard when incidents take place. 

--) They are much more likely to cause full road closures

--) Delays cause snow and ice to build up and snow plows are unavailable to transverse the interstate so as to keep it clear

--) It diverts a tremendous amount of resources to the incident, yet these resources also have trouble approaching the incident 

--) In theory, it should provide a more even stream of flow for the CMVs

--) It is meant to save lives and money 

All of that being said, the system is subjective at times and the scaling up and down of the alerts are not quite as easy as one would like. that withstanding, it does show promise. 

And yes - overkill it is more often than not. Granted, it is an intangible measure as an incident which did not take place is immeasurable. 

Yes. I agree. Personally and sure a lot of you have been in those situations seeing trucks off side of road, cars,etc. can really block things up. Causing more chaos and safety concerns. Adding the aspect that everyone on roads are in a hurry and speeds in snow seem like you’re crawling and being human, everyone try’s to push it a little faster. 
So once I pondered it, it’s a system to benefit. The trick always is balance and who pushes that button. Up this way, Northampton county, a 2” snowstorm wouldn’t warrant it imo. With that amount, highways and interstates will be wet at most with the assets that will be thrown at it. Subjective as you said to area wide events. 

• LIKE 2

27 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Still a bit confused about the surface temperatures warming the column upwards. Your information has the ratio better at higher, colder air, but what precipitates out as Snowfall means the ratio of FALLING Snow versus SURFACE Snow would be higher, no? 

Are ratios determined by the HOW, but not the WHERE? 

I get the dendrite growth bit as when the air is colder at the surface you can see the sparkle of the shape of the Snow.

EITHER way I appreciate the information and opportunity to get more knowledge. Thanks. 

Screenshot_20240119-011039.png

15749144231db1af0c16988e93f0e584ac0818ba37.jpg

• LIKE 3

7 hours ago, StretchCT said:

I added a unofficial terminology guide to the site for anyone who is new to some of the language we use around here.

Thanks for explaining the terminology— on many occasions, I was afraid to ask what something stood for because I feared that I would get the “Don’t-you-know-that” response because many of the terms were assumed knowledge. When the term “bowling ball storm” was used, about six years ago, I asked what it meant and no one seemed to know. Based on the context, I figured that it was simply a storm that changed very little in latitude while crossing the country.

• LOVE 1