Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

7 minutes ago, TLChip said:

I don't work on interstate work so I can't say 100% for sure. Just being in the trade talking to surveyors and engineers the rumors I heard are that's not true, or rather there's not actually a law or code enforcing that anywhere.

There's some good history here about it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.army.mil/article-amp/198095/dwight_d_eisenhower_and_the_birth_of_the_interstate_highway_system

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, clm said:

Better commit it to memory.  I hear @StretchCT   is going to give us a test on it and it wont be open book

I stumbled onto a tik tok where they were testing someone on airport codes. I did great in the northeast!

• LOVE 2

Just now, StretchCT said:

Oh and my excitement on our new members is even higher now that I saw that @paletitsnow63 is on board!  Favorite handle of all time!

Agreed.  Love his handle and a good guy too

• THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

2 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Mt Holly not backing down. 7 pm update. 

IMG_8740.jpeg

Do the models indicate the norlun trough disappears abruptly once it hits the ocean? Otherwise, the angle of heavier snow through PA/NJ would indicate LI and southern CT should be hammered with 4-5", instead of the T-3" they are.

20 minutes ago, Lazman said:
32 minutes ago, Lazman said:

straight sections about a mile long every so many miles

Good read.

I had to do some digging because I remember a conversation about this topic before. The myth is, "One in five miles of the Interstate System is straight so airplanes can land in emergencies.

https://highways.dot.gov/highway-history/interstate-system/50th-anniversary/interstate-highway-system-myths#question1

This myth is widespread on the Internet and in reference sources, but has no basis in law, regulation, design manual—or fact.  Airplanes occasionally land on Interstates when no alternative is available in an emergency, not because the Interstates are designed for that purpose.

Edited by TLChip
  • LIKE 2

6 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Mt Holly not backing down. 7 pm update. 

IMG_8740.jpeg

Neither is Sterling for us MD liners.

3 minutes ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Do the models indicate the norlun trough disappears abruptly once it hits the ocean? Otherwise, the angle of heavier snow through PA/NJ would indicate LI and southern CT should be hammered with 4-5", instead of the T-3" they are.

Screenshot_20240118_202617_Chrome.jpg

• LIKE 2

1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

Do they restrict empty CMV's when it's windy?

Honestly. This has got to be something new. Maybe they’re testing it? I have never seen this before when they’re calling for a 6-12” snowstorm. 

I just know that I have a business and ship out between 5 and 10 trailer loads of product everyday. This is just going to F#%k everything up for tomorrow, production included and mess thinks up for next week. Pathetic. 

• &$!#% 1

Been curious to see when this finger of snow for the I-80 region in PA might show up.  For most of the afternoon, RAP and HRRR have shown this coming right across 80 tomorrow moring, dropping 1-3" by noon.  H7 fronto just popped up.  If it goes the direction it's pointed, that would be pretty darn close to as modeled.  Radar starting to fill in and enhance back in IN/OH.

png1.png

png2.png

floop-hrrr-2024011900.snku_acc-imp.us_ne.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

6 minutes ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Honestly, I do not know. They are finicky beasts but can dump heavy snow, usually for a couple of hours. 

• LIKE 1

16 minutes ago, LiveWire_13 said:

norlun-explainer-253484815.png.987cd94c99e3c128fd148831d25ebff4.png

They're are typically narrow and I believe the ocean version of LES, so you need the all the ingredients. This was the best image I could find with some labels on. Maine see's these a bit more maybe one of those fellows could drop some knowledge about how far they can move and if they can sort of hop over water masses.

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

54 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

(read in a Vincent Price voice) It's out there, hiding in the shadows and mumbled jumbo of the current mid lat pattern. Down deeper into winter, at the bottom of the basement staircase. Patiently, plotting and biding its time for totally favorable conditions to bring them all to fore at once - to spring up out of the final throes of winter. When El Nino wanes and can do little about it. The PV lag and MJO lag on its side, it will seek to sate the pent up appetite. 

What’s wrong with you?

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

24 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Honestly. This has got to be something new. Maybe they’re testing it? I have never seen this before when they’re calling for a 6-12” snowstorm. 

I just know that I have a business and ship out between 5 and 10 trailer loads of product everyday. This is just going to F#%k everything up for tomorrow, production included and mess thinks up for next week. Pathetic. 

Found more info. https://www.penndot.pa.gov/TravelInPA/Winter/Documents/CMV-Restriction-Tier-Information-Sign.pdf

• LIKE 1