Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Good read, scrolled though a bunch of it. I can’t figure out why 2016 is Dark or Black Knight either.

Snobal memes, long time known members 👍. I didn’t see mention of the clappertracker 🤣

of course lots of great weather terms that get used here all the time. 

I may have to add Doorman now too... welcome to our humble abode!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

2 hours ago, Pghsnow said:

That is crazy for a couple inches of snow. On that note for my job I call on Health clubs. I called a few in Memphis yesterday and none of them answered, Couldn't figure out why. I looked at their website and they shut down for 4 days from their snow early in the week. from 4-6 inches of snow.

Confirmed. Our Memphis affiliate has been closed for 3 days. 

3 hours ago, clm said:

This would explain why the Interstates are so crazy with winding and not staying straight.  It never had anything to do with county/state/town lines nor going through mountains or around mountains, lakes, rivers, etc.....  Now we know the truth!

I'm pretty sure I 81 is basically following a path used by native Americans for centuries before the European settlers arrived. I'm sure some of the roads out west follow wagon paths that were used to go west. They usually put roads on top of the old roads. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

8 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I'm pretty sure I 81 is basically following a path used by native Americans for centuries before the European settlers arrived. I'm sure some of the roads out west follow wagon paths that were used to go west. They usually put roads on top of the old roads. 

👍. That is basically how a lot of our roads in PA and NJ came about. Old Indian trails. Most times they were near water sources , between mountains and ridges etc where they could hunt and fish. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, clm said:

This would explain why the Interstates are so crazy with winding and not staying straight.  It never had anything to do with county/state/town lines nor going through mountains or around mountains, lakes, rivers, etc.....  Now we know the truth!

Sometimes the roads are engineered with elevations and how much dirt/stone/etc has to be moved and how far they need to move it.  You never want to haul if you don't have to, you don't want to cut and push more than you have to either.

quick crude example. 81, grade up the ridge, cuts through a skinny section, continues north following the elevation slowly.

edit: like others above its easier to use and widen what's already existing,

fhNY8ao.jpeg

Edited by TLChip

1 hour ago, Irish Lass said:

NADS.jpg

I'm suing for copyright infringement or something along those lines. 

1 hour ago, Pghsnow said:

I thought it was Nickel and Dime Storm

53 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Good read, scrolled though a bunch of it. I can’t figure out why 2016 is Dark or Black Knight either.

Snobal memes, long time known members 👍. I didn’t see mention of the clappertracker 🤣

31 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Nerds Against Defamation of Snobal

I coined NADS as Nickle and Dime Snow - humbled that it stuck

The 2016 was the BLACK KNIGHT Storm because Renken used a meme of the Black Knight not surrendering in MP and the Holy Grail. He maintained, based on his Bering Sea Rule, that a major coastal was the correct idea even after the models that initially agreed, abandonded the idea. Undaunted he insisted the models would correct - and boy how did they. Everyone misunderstood the Black Knight reference and instead mistook it to mean Dark Knight, as in Batman. Renken followed with some Dark Knight memes and the whole thing went down in infamy as either/or. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • THANKS 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

You can see the Central PA skrew zone on that loop quite clearly. Stupid transfer storms. LOL

I didn't want to say it...lol

34 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Confirmed. Our Memphis affiliate has been closed for 3 days. 

My sister’s a teacher south of Nashville.  Closed all week due to the snow on Monday.

• SHOCKED 2

28 minutes ago, 1816 said:

That's true on some of them.  My post was tongue in cheek.

I have been on some of the original wagon roads out west.  Pretty cool to see

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The 2016 was the BLACK KNIGHT Storm because Renken used a meme of the Black Knight not surrendering in MP and the Holy Grail. He maintained, based on his Bering Sea Rule, that a major coastal was the correct idea even after the models that initially agreed, abandonded the idea. Undaunted he insisted the models would correct - and boy how did they. Everyone misunderstood the Black Knight reference and instead mistook it to mean Dark Knight, as in Batman. Renken followed with some Dark Knight memes and the whole thing went down in infamy as either/or. 

@StretchCT

Just now, Wtkidz said:

Can we please have this ?

I'm not picky, you get what you get and you don't get upset... or so they tell me.

Just now, StretchCT said:

Too bad we couldn't get the STJ (sub tropical jet) involved. Odd set up... 3 waves. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-continental-conus-09-00_51Z-20240119_map_noBar-18-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.b53b4ddbacefde2c48b4da0a83cca5d7.gif

(read in a Vincent Price voice) It's out there, hiding in the shadows and mumbled jumbo of the current mid lat pattern. Down deeper into winter, at the bottom of the basement staircase. Patiently, plotting and biding its time for totally favorable conditions to bring them all to fore at once - to spring up out of the final throes of winter. When El Nino wanes and can do little about it. The PV lag and MJO lag on its side, it will seek to sate the pent up appetite. 

• LIKE 2

28 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Sometimes the roads are engineered with elevations and how much dirt/stone/etc has to be moved and how far they need to move it.  You never want to haul if you don't have to, you don't want to cut and push more than you have to either.

quick crude example. 81, grade up the ridge, cuts through a skinny section, continues north following the elevation slowly.

edit: like others above its easier to use and widen what's already existing,

fhNY8ao.jpeg

I remember reading that the first layouts of the interstate road system would include straight sections about a mile long every so many miles in order to land bombers. 

Edited by Lazman
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

Just now, Lazman said:

I remember reading that the first layouts of the interstate road system would include straight sections every so many miles in order to land bombers. 

I don't work on interstate work so I can't say 100% for sure. Just being in the trade talking to surveyors and engineers the rumors I heard are that's not true, or rather there's not actually a law or code enforcing that anywhere.

1 hour ago, TLChip said:

Better commit it to memory.  I hear @StretchCT   is going to give us a test on it and it wont be open book

Edited by clm
  • YUCK 1