Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

2 minutes ago, Chris2333 said:

image.thumb.png.bb8764c4a6e1dff80608fea8e38ba530.png

that yellow right next to HI In at the end of Philadelphia I live right there. I don’t think I’ve ever been in the bullseye 

In that case, HI!!  🤪

• FIRE 1

6 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

I don't watch local weather, but my wife alerted me because she asked how much we would get and I told her 3-4 max. She said locals calling for 4-8 and I didn't believe her. Well they are..

image.thumb.png.b05256332cc027f63385313e1b42493f.png

I think they are overplaying ratios. I can get there mathematically, but between lift and temps that 4-8 should be 2-5 with maybe someone getting 6. The mountains on the other hand, I think they are being sensible which makes me wonder.

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Chris2333 said:

image.thumb.png.bb8764c4a6e1dff80608fea8e38ba530.png

that yellow right next to the A at the end of Philadelphia I live right there. 

And the northern yellow you can see the red highway (I-195) which I basically live on, a mile south. Hoping this pans out but we all know how finicky winter storms are, expecting the low end of totals and hoping for the top end. 

• SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 1

2 hours ago, kdskidoo said:

that's why they built route 80 where they did, so storms would know where to set up the dividing line.  i can't even begin to count how many times I've heard forecasts use 80 as the "dividing" line

This would explain why the Interstates are so crazy with winding and not staying straight.  It never had anything to do with county/state/town lines nor going through mountains or around mountains, lakes, rivers, etc.....  Now we know the truth!

• LAUGH 1

So going to be real fun Friday night and Saturday night.  Low of 17 tomorrow night and Saturday night low of 13.  Any melting done by salt or by the sun is going to cause issues

9 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

I think they are overplaying ratios. I can get there mathematically, but between lift and temps that 4-8 should be 2-5 with maybe someone getting 6. The mountains on the other hand, I think they are being sensible which makes me wonder.

I have two words for you 'New Orlean Trough!!'

• LAUGH 1

3 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

In an odd way - that's kind of correct. 

And I-95 is always used .

ie.

west of 95 same county.

Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. 
Friday
Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

east of 96  4 miles away. Rain is mentioned.

Tonight
Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. 
Friday
Snow likely before noon, then snow likely, possibly mixed with rain between noon and 1pm, then a chance of snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Calm wind becoming northwest 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Edited by Wtkidz

1 minute ago, Rickrd said:

That is crazy for a couple inches of snow. On that note for my job I call on Health clubs. I called a few in Memphis yesterday and none of them answered, Couldn't figure out why. I looked at their website and they shut down for 4 days from their snow early in the week. from 4-6 inches of snow.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Pghsnow said:

That is crazy for a couple inches of snow. On that note for my job I call on Health clubs. I called a few in Memphis yesterday and none of them answered, Couldn't figure out why. I looked at their website and they shut down for 4 days from their snow early in the week. from 4-6 inches of snow.

WOW.

• SHOCKED 2

31 minutes ago, clm said:

So going to be real fun Friday night and Saturday night.  Low of 17 tomorrow night and Saturday night low of 13.  Any melting done by salt or by the sun is going to cause issues

This is what I'm worried about. I was (am?) hoping that 6" mark would touch central LI so the school admin wouldn't try for something foolish like a full day or early dismissal. The area has plenty of hills and my Accord, even with the new all-around tires that carry a +1 for snow suck on the local roads and driveway when slick. This will transform into an ice rink yet again.

• THUMBS UP 1

37 minutes ago, Psu1313 said:

With all these NADS storms, I’m caught in a glass case of emotion!

The second movie reference of the afternoon.  Personally, I gotta go with The Hunt for Red October, but no intention to start a movie debate here… back to your regularly scheduled NADS.

IMG_3264.gif

• LOVE 1

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

G16_conus_band10_36fr_20240118-1616.gif

Really great shot there. Luv that loop. However, please limit the real time analysis, as we much prefer fretting, sweating, and wrangling over hourly model updates changing our total snowfall amounts by 1/4 of an inch. Not sure if i personally can endure one more model adjusting the total moisture content from .28 to .265. 

• Social Media Crew

I’m going to sound really stupid lol.. but what does NADS stand for? 

North American Dendrite System

North Atlantic Dendrite Storm 

Northeastern Antecedent Dendrite Snow

? 😂

• LAUGH 1

Just now, Penn State said:

I’m going to sound really stupid lol.. but what does NADS stand for? 

North American Dendrite System

North Atlantic Dendrite Storm 

Northeastern Antecedent Dendrite Snow

? 😂

Not A Decent Storm

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1