Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

18z NAM 3K.  Rain/snow line further south of LI.  Good to see.  Hopefully it does not trend further south where I don't get any snow or just a coating.  So far still around 1 to 3.

image.thumb.png.eae2c3e775d44af78abec073ab56524f.png

image.thumb.png.ee1ab04af6726f4c00f6fb63118d25ae.png

• THUMBS UP 1

• Sterling says nope it is all north Or west of DC . Very little along I-95 . 

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/... High pressure overhead will lead to dry conditions Thursday morning. An approaching area of low pressure will bring increased cloud cover as well as a chance for snow in the Alleghenies. Outside of the Alleghenies, dry conditions persist through the afternoon. High temperatures will be warmer than the previous day while remaining below average. Highs will be in the 30s for most with higher elevations staying in the upper 20s and those near the Chesapeake Bay getting into the low 40s. As an upper level trough will pivot over the region Friday, pushing a cold front through the forecast area throughout the day. The associated area of low pressure accompanied with a stronger coastal low off the coast of North Carolina will bring widespread likely snow through much of the day on Friday. The heaviest of this snow will occur Friday morning with light snow occurring in the afternoon. Outside the Allgheny Front, snow accumulation totals will range from 3 inches in northern Maryland to a few tenths of an inch along and east of I-95. The brunt of the snowfall will occur for those along and west of the Alleghenies. A prolonged period of upslope snow showers beginning Thursday afternoon and persisting through Saturday morning will lead to snow accumulations possibly ranging from 5 to 9 inches. A Winter Storm Watch is in effect beginning late Thursday night through Saturday morning. We will continue to monitor this system as it approaches.

I am loving the activity so far this season. Just seeing snow in the forecast and having storms to track is great. Always better when my southern brotheren and coastal peeps are  involved as well. 

33 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

I am not sure, I agree that DC ad Balt get it but it sure would be nice. 

• THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

• Social Media Crew
2 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Clearly show the effects of norlun trough there, and clearly that will not be the exact location of said trough 😀

This one should be fun to monitor in real time.. seems like a general 1-2”.. but someone with jackpot under the inverted trough. Would not surprise me to see a 6” amount somewhere between SEPA and NEMD, SNJ. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

CTP says advisories for our zones prolly one more shift/set of guidance to issue. 

image.png.50f122d052ad6e142019faeccc9a4dde.png

Certainly not ragging on them, this ain't easy.. but I ain't going to be bothered one way or the other (Advisory/No Advisory) .. the first Saturday storm, forecast for highest totals in region. barely low ended and certainly wasn't the jackpot.  The following Tuesday snow-rain was practically brushed off until it was happening .. Tuesday, forecasted low, ended up on southern fringe of jackpot zone.  Maybe I'd almost prefer no Advisory now that I type this out lol

Just now, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

It’s funny that the Euro snd GFs have been doing do badly that they don’t even get posted anymore 😀😀

I've noticed this too lol  I guess we know what kinds of events to almost completely ignore them with huh. haha

• THUMBS UP 2

22 minutes ago, Snowadelphia said:

So Bernie’s video is interesting - really forecasting and not focused on models as much. He focused on the DMV as the bullseye - however most models I’ve seen are a good 75 - 100 miles north with that energy.

As much as I l would like it I think it maybe wrong unless it somehow gets stronger and covers for everyone. 

• LIKE 1

7 minutes ago, Bucikaroo said:

So do we have any storm coming up that might be something 

It's going to drop a few inches.  Unless it really changes, doubt anyplace gets 10+ (just my opinion)