Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

2 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Lol, I guess they could send me a truck full of metal but once it's unloaded it'd have to wait to go back to the yard.

Did we have parking lot interstates this week? I guess working in the boonies away from metro has its perks. Road's haven't been great but passable.

30 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Honestly. This has got to be something new. Maybe they’re testing it? I have never seen this before when they’re calling for a 6-12” snowstorm. 

I just know that I have a business and ship out between 5 and 10 trailer loads of product everyday. This is just going to F#%k everything up for tomorrow, production included and mess thinks up for next week. Pathetic. 

This was a new invention started over a year ago, to help centralize road info and alerts- and to help with stranded trucks. Again, it is a govt operation, so there’s that. What the theory was, according to the state when they explained it to us was to pre plan so that a truck/trucker would not embark on a trip, only to find that a road was closed, etc. yes to wind conditions also. Much different with a truck  to reroute, especially late. 
ya, we think it is gross overkill, and a govt op. But, it is nice to know that something like a major thoroughfare is restricted before you leave though.

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

(read in a Vincent Price voice) It's out there, hiding in the shadows and mumbled jumbo of the current mid lat pattern. Down deeper into winter, at the bottom of the basement staircase. Patiently, plotting and biding its time for totally favorable conditions to bring them all to fore at once - to spring up out of the final throes of winter. When El Nino wanes and can do little about it. The PV lag and MJO lag on its side, it will seek to sate the pent up appetite. 

This is art

• LIKE 3

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Great guy, and an innocent handle, that we juveniles turned into so much more( mind if i lump you in with us juveniles? Thinkin yea 😀😀

letitsnow.gif.4506eec2e6d3b5af9029927e003ccb22.gif

• LAUGH 4

4 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

This was a new invention started over a year ago, to help centralize road info and alerts- and to help with stranded trucks. Again, it is a govt operation, so there’s that. What the theory was, according to the state when they explained it to us was to pre plan so that a truck/trucker would not embark on a trip, only to find that a road was closed, etc. yes to wind conditions also. Much different with a truck  to reroute, especially late. 
ya, we think it is gross overkill, and a govt op. But, it is nice to know that something like a major thoroughfare is restricted before you leave though.

Rick, just a follow up on this, what was explained to us was this was born out of that horrible situation several years ago during a snowstorm on rt 78 to the west of us, and another incident, i think in western pa. So thousands of motorists were stranded due to the semi’s getting stuck, for several days, and the issue was the lack of communication in the conditions and the trucks closing down the highway, so more and more trucks and cars kept traveling into it, causing the huge problem- and no way to evac .

1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Rick, just a follow up on this, what was explained to us was this was born out of that horrible situation several years ago during a snowstorm on rt 78 to the west of us, and another incident, i think in western pa. So thousands of motorists were stranded due to the semi’s getting stuck, for several days, and the issue was the lack of communication in the conditions and the trucks closing down the highway, so more and more trucks and cars kept traveling into it, causing the huge problem- and no way to evac .

Was that the November, I think 2018? storm?  That was a disaster.  2-5" forecast turned 9-12" reality.

2 hours ago, TLChip said:

Good read, scrolled though a bunch of it. I can’t figure out why 2016 is Dark or Black Knight either.

Snobal memes, long time known members 👍. I didn’t see mention of the clappertracker 🤣

of course lots of great weather terms that get used here all the time. 

That was friggin’ awesome. What a great read and learned new things 

one note to add to the @Miller A storm

storm.  Yes

member. Yes

my actual name. Yes

Just think that’s kinda cool.  I never knew that as a kid. Not sure if anyone knew that , maybe some 

Edited by Miller A
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

17 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Was that the November, I think 2018? storm?  That was a disaster.  2-5" forecast turned 9-12" reality.

I can’t remember the one Clap, but the time frame seems accurate. It wasn’t the huge amount of snow here with that one, but the fact that “ that” portion of the road has a hill and is really exposed to drifting. That part of the road has been redone to help alleviate. 

24 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Got it. Thanks. But seems overkill for this one. 

congrats to those south of here that are getting some white gold! Snow to the coast from the looks of it, nice hit for some of you! Not our storm here, just glad to see someone else cashing in

• LIKE 6

Was just reading. The perennial moving target , the inverted trough, almost never moves south. Other direction. Yet this one sank to the bottom of the Atlantic. Need our resident guru, MJ, to explain that is and why this didn’t, but just remember from the single A days in the minors at the old old days of Accu-,when the LV was at ground zero 2 days ago, zero chance of that happening. It’s likeca birthday balloon that somehow survived a trip through the atmosphere. Try figuring out where that winds up.

• LIKE 1

33 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Was just reading. The perennial moving target , the inverted trough, almost never moves south. Other direction. Yet this one sank to the bottom of the Atlantic. Need our resident guru, MJ, to explain that is and why this didn’t, but just remember from the single A days in the minors at the old old days of Accu-,when the LV was at ground zero 2 days ago, zero chance of that happening. It’s likeca birthday balloon that somehow survived a trip through the atmosphere. Try figuring out where that winds up.

We need an oblique discussion from Doorman, with a JRenken OFM map to get the answer. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1