Jan. 19-20th, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

telejunkie

• Meteorologist
Just now, JDClapper said:

nam3km_z500_vort_us_fh24-48.gif

3km seems less grabby compared to the 12km counterpart. That would make the difference for a general 3-6" event to pushing those upper levels (6-8") for the areas I mentioned.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Probably the best thing out of the last system and this one looks to be the fluff factor. Have been so tired of getting heavy wet snow it is nice to see a change up in that department. I think my area (Lancaster) stands to get about 2-4". I mentioned to my mom who lives NW of philly they need to watch out for a potential 6"+ storm. Better to be prepared than have an unexpected larger snowfall.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • TROPHY 1

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

.3 at 1.5 = 4.5 inches. At 2.0 it is 6 inches. .4 at 1.5 is 6, .4 at 2.0 is 8. Then you have to % that whole equation by .8333334 , cuz of that whole 10/12 thang. Is that right, huh ?

You forgot to carry the 1

• LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist
9 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

floop-nam-2024011800.700th.us_ne.gif.fd1e338be49f3c7211c34b7066203b6b.gif

I would say region wide most should expect a 12:1 ratio event, little closer to 10:1 around philly and NJ. Poconos could get to upwards of 20:1 with that look but probably will average 15:1 based on those temps. If the energy comes in a bit stronger this may change up.

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

.3 at 1.5 = 4.5 inches. At 2.0 it is 6 inches. .4 at 1.5 is 6, .4 at 2.0 is 8. Then you have to % that whole equation by .8333334 , cuz of that whole 10/12 thang. Is that right, huh ?

And sun angle

• LAUGH 2

Just now, so_whats_happening said:

damn forgot about that one getting to that time of year again lol

I can’t pull one on you!  Sun angle not a factor til next week at the earliest!  🤣

• LAUGH 1
  • MELTING 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

This week finally feels like a bonafide PA winter 

It has been awhile. BWI finally broke the snow drought (over 700 days without an inch of snow) now if we could just get to average totals I will call it a complete win for this winter.

Sitting at about 7" on the year thus far and hope we get a surprise with this one.

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

46 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Looking at upper level support, there's a jet streak coming through.  If I recall, you want to be in the left front or right rear quadrant. That the jet streak is so far south lends me to think the heavier precip is to the south.  image.thumb.png.6c1d37279a1e02395c01c47366e42449.png

Isn’t that kinda what Bernie was saying in his video today? 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Burr said:

And sun angle

And many of us are at the coldest time of year this week.  Soon the average temps start going up.  

• YUCK 1

1 minute ago, Gettysburger said:

Isn’t that kinda what Bernie was saying in his video today? 

Yep. That was essentially the argument. We are only 24 hours out at this point.

Side note for folks that were on the other site until it closed last month. So did he essentially send out a ton of invoices this fall/summer to get folks to pay for server access for all of 2024, claim 2024 was fully paid for outside of a quick holiday “break”, then essentially go off the grid? What a wild end to that place man.

• SAD 1

2 minutes ago, Snowadelphia said:

Yep. That was essentially the argument. We are only 24 hours out at this point.

Side note for folks that were on the other site until it closed last month. So did he essentially send out a ton of invoices this fall/summer to get folks to pay for server access for all of 2024, claim 2024 was fully paid for outside of a quick holiday “break”, then essentially go off the grid? What a wild end to that place man.

Thats pretty crazy, took the money and ran?

3 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Yea that’s north with the higher, wtf

A good old fashioned Nowcast event.  Wouldn't have it any other way!  Models giving clues on what to look for, when and where, but we'll see Friday 🙂

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

5 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Yea that’s north with the higher, wtf

Your comment about widespread 0.2's and potential nothingburger ... RGEM raises a flag.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.png

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

A good old fashioned Nowcast event.  Wouldn't have it any other way!  Models giving clues on what to look for, when and where, but we'll see Friday 🙂

Just now, JDClapper said:

Your comment about widespread 0.2's and potential nothingburger ... RGEM raises a flag.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.png

Sure does. Wow.

2 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Models are just that, models. They give us an idea of what may happen. Some are pretty close, others are way off. I agree with you, nowcasting will be our best bet I think. Looking forward to tracking this one as it comes in! 

• LIKE 3
  • TROPHY 1