January 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

snowlover2

1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

thats your absolute pinnacle of what you could ever ask for in a low track/strength for your area haha. Hopefully temp profiles are better than yesterday 

Quietly hoping to not be disappointed.lol For my area I think temp profiles are a bit cooler than last system.

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Quietly hoping to not be disappointed.lol For my area I think temp profiles are a bit cooler than last system.

I like where you sit - just promise to share the snow love with your snow-starved OV neighbors in the near future 🙏🏽

• LIKE 1

56 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

The Canadian is the only one showing temperature profiles cold enough to give more snow than rain. To the other more advanced weather fans, is the cold air intrusion being underplayed? I find it hard to believe with this pattern that there is this much significant rain that far north?

I‘m not more advanced but I do have experience in warm air advection lol. It’s one of the strongest forces known to man! Kidding aside, It’s sometimes under-modeled, at least IMBY. With a storm this strong, wouldn’t surprise me to see rain/snow line creep further north than modeled. 

CMC has a cold bias, it’s usually a few degrees colder than GFS & Euro. Caveat, I’ve also wondered if the cold air is being underplayed. I guess we’ll see.  Just my 0.02.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 3
  • TROPHY 1

34 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Just once I'd like to be surprised in a good way with a storm system.

Mentioned this a few days ago - a reverse Jan 2019.  Get that low to push east then up the Apps/Ohio River.  

• LIKE 2

6 minutes ago, easton229 said:

The typical counties in SEMI left out of the fun again ☹️

IMG_1475.jpeg

It's just not meant to be. I'd like to say "on to the next one" but don't see anything 384 hours out lol.

• &$!#% 1

3 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

When will we have full sampling? Still holding on to a glimmer of hope about 20 miles west of Toledo. 

storm is already onshore, near the Rockies currently, just west

• LIKE 2

40 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

IA/WI/MI buried

nam.png

Wow— St. Louis could have an encore of yesterday’s non- event. We are looking at practically bare ground to go with subzero air, most likely followed by suppression until the next rainmaker. I hope I am wrong, but it seems to be the same old pattern, regardless of whether it is El Niño or La Niña. St. Louis is the Home of the Snow Dome.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, cperry29 said:

I‘m not more advanced but I do have experience in warm air advection lol. It’s one of the strongest forces known to man! Kidding aside, It’s sometimes under-modeled, at least IMBY. With a storm this strong, wouldn’t surprise me to see rain/snow line creep further north than modeled. 

CMC has a cold bias, it’s usually a few degrees colder than GFS & Euro. Caveat, I’ve also wondered if the cold air is being underplayed. I guess we’ll see.  Just my 0.02.

Another aspect that others have mentioned in the past is that if convection fires to the south, that pumps warmth into the upper atmosphere has pushes the rain/snow line north.  
I don’t know if I stated that correctly or how valid it is so if someone knows the corollary please advise.

51 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Another aspect that others have mentioned in the past is that if convection fires to the south, that pumps warmth into the upper atmosphere has pushes the rain/snow line north.  
I don’t know if I stated that correctly or how valid it is so if someone knows the corollary please advise.

On some occasions, latent heat release from that can intensify a system more than forecast, which correspondingly will tend to drive the rain/snow line farther north than expected.  But it can certainly go the other way sometimes and result in a weaker system or at least one that doesn't have as much northward moisture transport.  

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Well, looks like I'm going to take a direct hit from this one. Definitely excited. Local mets comparing it to the 2011 blizzard we had here. 

Yesterdays day was basically a bust IMBY. 

Get some pictures to share with us less fortunate!

• THUMBS UP 2

2 minutes ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Well, looks like I'm going to take a direct hit from this one. Definitely excited. Local mets comparing it to the 2011 blizzard we had here. 

Yesterdays day was basically a bust IMBY. 

Enjoy!  Very jealous down here!