January 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

snowlover2

38 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

We're right in the path of whatever the heck that gust was. Wind is insane outside right now - sounds like a constant freight train. Hoping to keep power & not lose any trees😬

We live in a creek/small woods. The power company FINALLY had contractors come out in Nov to clean up tree branches and dead stuff so I’m not quite as worried; we lose power down here if a butterfly farts so yeah….its always an issue. 

• LAUGH 3
  • THUMBS UP 2

Just went out and shoveled around the cars a little. 

About 3" on the ground. Again, super heavy, wet, sloppy snow. They were predicting fluffier snow this storm but that is not the case at all. 

I don't think we will come close to the 6-10" they are predicting IMBY but I hope I'm wrong. I think on the high end we top out at 6" if we are lucky. 

• LIKE 1

One thing these wet snows are good for are great pictures. My poor young trees aren’t fairing too well so I have to go clean them off. My official, unofficial, measurement is 4” using the official hand measurement (tape measure was inside). Still coming down, but looks like the dry air is coming. Lights are starting to flicker too which isn’t good.

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 3

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I take the storm failures in stride much more than I used to when I was younger lol, but it's pushing 40 here right now and I can see grass in some areas.  Just ridiculous compared to what was modeled last night.

Sorry it didn't pan out for alot of the metro area. We did better up here with almost 8" down from front end thump and another 3" the rest of the afternoon. About 11-12" total

Screenshot_20240112_192508_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_192442_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_193237_Gallery.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 1
  • LOVE 3

20 minutes ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Official measurement - 3.5" in a little over 4 hours. 

I think total bust here unless we start seeing 1"/hr rates over the next few hours. 

What was your forecast? 

Just now, cperry29 said:

What was your forecast? 

lol they have lowered forecasted totals significantly. As of 6PM, NWS has us down in the 6-8" range now. For the last 24+ hours we were on the edge of the 8-12" range. I think if we hit 6" we will be lucky. 

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, Icewoz said:

That was a lot for nothing. Why is everything so dramatic these days?

it's always tough with a somewhat lack of cold air. 

If we had temps 5 degrees cooler we would have a foot of snow on the ground with insane ratios. Unfortunately our temp here is sitting right around freezing so we just never saw the ratios they were predicting. 

• LIKE 1
  • DISAPPOINTED 1

Just now, RobB said:

Oakland County Michigan (Highland) 7 inch snowfall

image.thumb.png.fe793e1a8c44b8a44dcda4a802d37dcd.png

Just switched over to rain here. I’m right on the edge of snow and rain. Thought I would avoid it, but it’s inevitable. Still much better than I expected and hopefully some backside and lake effect over the next day too. Gonna look like winter for the next week at least.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, easton229 said:

Just switched over to rain here. I’m right on the edge of snow and rain. Thought I would avoid it, but it’s inevitable. Still much better than I expected and hopefully some backside and lake effect over the next day too. Gonna look like winter for the next week at least.

Excellent!  Glad to hear it went beyond your expectations!

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, easton229 said:

The thunder snow is what made this storm worth it no matter what else happened with totals.

Such an uncommon occurrence. I agree. Awesome!

• LIKE 1

9PM update. These branches are usually 8-10 feet off the ground. Extremely heavy snow. Listening to the police scanner. Trees down everywhere over the county on power lines and blocking roads. A few degrees cooler and we’d be looking at a foot of snow but ratios just kept down. 

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3524.png

• SHOCKED 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, junior said:

Luckily the winds aren't too bad here. I know they'll pick up again a bit later but shouldn't be too bad. 

Had a 32 MPH gust here.  Doesn't sound like much but considering my anemometer is around 20 or so feet surrounded by homes and in an area in a valleyish location, not bad...

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1