January 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

snowlover2

• Moderators

Snowing pretty heavily with big flakes right now, hard enough to start whitening the ground.  Temp dropped from 40 to 33 currently.

We’ll see how long this temporary snow lasts.  My goal for this storm is to keep all the trees around the house upright.

Edit to add:  SWS just issued for up to an inch of snow right after I posted this.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Look at the 12z Euro compared to the 00z Euro run.  Virtually all of the modeling botched the handling of this double low thing badly almost up until it was happening.  If you're far enough north, it doesn't matter much.  But it has significant ramifications for places like Chicago metro.

This change also delays the deepening of the eastern low to some extent.

trend-ecmwf_full-2024011212-f012.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_mw.gif.d5d481cd7e48a6619542e9364027ef55.gif.6b64c3c3b9c4e9f7a42f7276a425d188.gif

Yep that eliminated further accumulating snow for much of the area after the front end thump. Snowing here now but another dry slot on the way

Edited by Cary67
  • LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

Just now, junior said:

Wind picking up here. 

Same at the house.  My area is somewhat sheltered from the bigger winds.  Even the higher rez models show my area in weaker wind areas with being in a valley area.

• LIKE 2

10 minutes ago, easton229 said:

Is it just me, or did the low end father east? Or is it because the two never phased? Looking like it could actually be really nice for SEMI.

Happy for you my friend. 

30 minutes ago, RobB said:

46 degrees and windy at the house.  About to head home from work soon.

Be safe!! 
I got home at 5:30. Pouring could rain on he entire way but it’s stopped for now. 

I dread tomorrow morning with all my soul lol 

Bought two more cans of ice melter for the windshield on my way home. I thought for sure they’d all be sold out! 

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Yep that eliminated further accumulating snow for much of the area after the front end thump. Snowing here now but another dry slot on the way

I take the storm failures in stride much more than I used to when I was younger lol, but it's pushing 40 here right now and I can see grass in some areas.  Just ridiculous compared to what was modeled last night.

• DISAPPOINTED 1