January 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

snowlover2

Well my county has been added to the winter storm watch, though I feel that’s for the western side of it. I unfortunately am on the eastern side which will see a lot less totals. Could use a solid 30 mile shift east which isn’t too much to ask I think.

• LOVE 1

7 minutes ago, easton229 said:

Well my county has been added to the winter storm watch, though I feel that’s for the western side of it. I unfortunately am on the eastern side which will see a lot less totals. Could use a solid 30 mile shift east which isn’t too much to ask I think.

Rooting for you my friend. 

3 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I wonder what the hi res nam is seeing for this much snow in the north half of Indiana image.thumb.png.ee51c5dc5ca122ae34435c0cf7379fc5.png

A good chunk of that is probably not going to actually accumulate, and if it's a wet snow you can expect a lot of compaction. Snow depth maps might be a better judge of what to actually expect.

• LIKE 1

LOT went advisory for here for 3-6" and wind gusts up to 50 mph.  I figured they would just convert the watch to a warning even with the borderline amounts given the wind and the fact that nobody in the area has experienced conditions even remotely like that yet this winter.  Possible there is a sizable gradient across the county though with northern parts being more likely to reach actual warning criteria. 

Not the best continuity spanning across the warning area with the 2 counties in northwest Indiana left out.  I'm sure the LOT afternoon afd will be informative though and may shed light on the reasoning.

lot.png.cb6faaec88e69895714fbf282f445836.png.c3ed5b5534b6175f7fbea860314cd4f2.png

We just had a whole home generator installed 2 months ago.  It might get put to some use tomorrow thanks to the wind.  The grid here is so fragile that anything over a stiff breeze can bring down half the town.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Snowgeek93 said:

What is this madness? Are they seeing something other models aren't? 

GDlxnaZWAAAX_cu.png

I've been poking into the models and I've been seeing the totals for my area~100 km east of Detroit going up over the past runs since this AM. Oddly, using the numerical data from open-meteo.com (GFS &HRRR blend), my snow totals have been decreasing. I'm thoroughly confused.

Just now, Astronomer said:

I've been poking into the models and I've been seeing the totals for my area~100 km east of Detroit going up over the past runs since this AM. Oddly, using the numerical data from open-meteo.com (GFS &HRRR blend), my snow totals have been decreasing. I'm thoroughly confused.

Nah those aren't actual amounts but it does show a colder trend, at least on that particular run. I'm plenty far away from the lake so not too worried about mixing unless this pulls further west. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Indygirl said:

Bamwx just put out a longish post saying new data coming out is pointing towards more snow for central and N Indiana. As such, they’re delaying they’re full update until 9pm.

Hmmmm

I just looked im not seeing much difference from the last few days looks like a bunch of rain with some backside snow maybe a inch at the most for Central IN/ C IL/C OH

1 minute ago, Central Illinois said:

I just looked im not seeing much difference from the last few days looks like a bunch of rain with some backside snow maybe a inch at the most for Central IN/ C IL/C OH

If they wait long enough, they can nail the forecast amounts 😉

• LAUGH 2

14 minutes ago, RobB said:

If they wait long enough, they can nail the forecast amounts 😉

If you look at hires NAM as well as globals what's being indicated is an energy transfer to NE Indiana as it bombs. Not sure how realistic this is but this explains the spreads. 18z GFS has primary near Western IL border at 18z and three hours later it's near Indianapolis! image.thumb.png.64b981c2db564e7e47f4d62e8f01b614.png

image.thumb.png.e0c7f9a0e19001285acf2bb42655afd9.png

• LIKE 3