January 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

snowlover2

1 minute ago, BuckeyeGal said:

We need more Chicago posters. I want pictures of this bomb from there (and you Michigan folks)! ☃️ 

Will oblige if it happens. Will wait till the HRRR is within 18hrs to start weighing it too much. The NAM is being put out to pasture soon.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

8 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

We need more Chicago posters. I want pictures of this bomb from there (and you Michigan folks)! ☃️ 

I'll go out and take some pictures from the eye of the landcane if it gets this far west.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

Actually been some pretty massive changes on the available 00z runs in the handling of the vorticity stream behind our system.  This keeps snow showers going for longer on Saturday in my area.  Normally not that big of a deal but having a large gathering on Saturday afternoon with a number of guests driving in from Chicagoland and it's up to me to make the call on whether we proceed with it.  Any lingering snow only adds to blowing snow concerns.

• SNOWMAN 1

Nice thump signal around here on Friday morning on most models except for the amped up HRRR/RAP runs.  That looks capable of laying down a few inches if not a bit more before the thermal profiles could get tricky and flip to rain.  Don't even have a ton of agreement on the flip to rain though so who knows (even though I'd lean toward a changeover).  

At just 48 hrs, there is a 10 mb spread in the progged intensity of the surface low on the main models (so, not counting HRRR/RAP and some of the other hi-res stuff).  Range from 973 mb on the Euro to 983 mb on the ICON/GDPS.

1 minute ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

The storm is still raging with well over a foot of snow ... I'm looking forward to the 6z HRRR

image.thumb.png.38fe35b04103f716d74c7ef655afc486.png

image.thumb.png.03f931ccebbb3d4e261dcb2fad810572.png

That thing literally rode up Lake Michigan from south to north.  Made "waterfall" at Chicago.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That thing literally rode up Lake Michigan from south to north.  Made "waterfall" at Chicago.

I'm not sure I believe it, but I definitely want to! 🤤

This is going to be an impressive storm no matter what the details end up being considering the 70+ mb gradient between the low and high pressures. 

image.thumb.png.fdc03544c176e8b11a2eac2b17ad4b00.png

Also, the warm water of Lake Michigan (nearly 6ºC/43°F) can't be ignored and low pressures like to suck up the heat.

image.thumb.png.86be05484ff86638bc4c00351ee7ce82.png

Sorry OHV, but the UP needs some snow too. We're currently 58.9 inches below normal for the season and maybe just maybe this storm will do better than cut that amount in half ... especially after getting a complete DUD of a storm on Tuesday. 

• LIKE 1

4 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

The storm is still raging with well over a foot of snow ... I'm looking forward to the 6z HRRR

image.thumb.png.38fe35b04103f716d74c7ef655afc486.png

image.thumb.png.03f931ccebbb3d4e261dcb2fad810572.png

Nice 🤘

• BOMBOGENESIS 1

• Moderators

FWIW, a comparison between WPC's Day 5 and Day 2.  Pretty close considering there was a major storm between the two.

image.png.2cb57f0466e086aa61a63e2a42b03f2e.png

image.thumb.png.94539cdb383dd2d97e2a8698f435e619.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • THUMBS UP 3

1 hour ago, Hiramite said:

FWIW, a comparison between WPC's Day 5 and Day 2.  Pretty close considering there was a major storm between the two.

image.png.2cb57f0466e086aa61a63e2a42b03f2e.png

image.thumb.png.94539cdb383dd2d97e2a8698f435e619.png

I am glad that model scores include WPC accurcy scores along with them.  Humans..FTW

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, easton229 said:

So close. Guess I’ll take my 3-4” and call it a win with the way this winter has gone so far.

Hoping for at least two wins in the next 4 days.....

10 minutes ago, RobB said:

3K at same time:

image.thumb.png.ba547c862e5020e3e58d062cfb266db8.png

Anyone know historically how the 3K performs to the normal? I always thought they were usually in line with each other. This is the furthest apart I can remember seeing them for a storm.