January 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

snowlover2

3 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

Ready for heartbreak in Toledo. Going to be a carbon copy of what we saw today. 

Can’t be heartbroken if you don’t expect anything to begin with. That’s how I live life in the SEMI dry slot zone.

• SAD 1

1 minute ago, easton229 said:

Can’t be heartbroken if you don’t expect anything to begin with. That’s how I live life in the SEMI dry slot zone.

Lol, I'm in Monroe County and we have seen more than our fair share of dry slotting. 

• LAUGH 1

5 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

Ready for heartbreak in Toledo. Going to be a carbon copy of what we saw today. 

Yup, a lot of rain just in time for the arctic blast to hit. Swollen rivers are going to freeze and then I'm sure we'll warm up somewhere towards the end of January, get more rain, and then have flooding issues with a frozen ground and ice jams forming. Can't wait...

• LIKE 1

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Unbelievable to get systems this deep only a matter of days apart.

I wouldn't want the 84hr NAM agreeing with the Euro at this point. NAM for today's system was NW at this range then shifted back SE to the right solution. Would guess Euro a bit overamped and both will slide east/SE to a more CMC/ GFS look

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, mafa said:

I think it’s game over for most of Ohio. Looks like she’s cutting through Indy

At least the southern half of the state has been ruled out a while.

Not a lot of substantial cold air snows.  Doesn't look powdery with this run.

2 minutes ago, mafa said:

I think it’s game over for most of Ohio. Looks like she’s cutting through Indy

Pretty much holds serve through the OV. Ever bit slightly west through Ohio.

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

18z GFS

Screenshot_20240109_165627_Firefox.jpg

I’m actually surprised it went ENE from there. That would still give us Buckeyes a chance for some back end snow

• Admin

I wore my snow earrings today, sang the snow song from “White Christmas,” and glared at my storm glass before I left work. It’s going to give us snow whether it wants to or not. Because I said so. 😆

• LIKE 4
  • LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

I don’t know how to hide my frustration any longer. I mean, it’s pointless to raise my hands and yell at the sky but a broken clock is still right twice a day….right?

How is it possible for Central Ohio to just stop getting snow?! We haven’t had much more than an inch or two here and there for 4 years now…

Cold and wet and gray. I think I just need to move south and forget about winter altogether.

• LOVE 1

35 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

I wouldn't want the 84hr NAM agreeing with the Euro at this point. NAM for today's system was NW at this range then shifted back SE to the right solution. Would guess Euro a bit overamped and both will slide east/SE to a more CMC/ GFS look

There was an old rule in forecasting called the EE rule... when it was the ETA (kind of a NAM predecessor) and the Euro in relative agreement, you could usually take it to the bank.  Times are different now though.

Don't really have a great idea for what will happen, but if I had to guess, it would be that the GFS/CMC will eventually come north/stronger.  How far south the UK/Euro/ICON may come is what I'm really having a hard time figuring.  

• LIKE 1

44 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

🤢

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

Purely for fun... here was the ICON at 81 hrs for today's system.  In reality, the current system is several mb deeper than was modeled.  If the same error happens for the weekend, we'll be looking at about 966 mb in northwest IN.  :classic_tongue:

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.thumb.png.5402a3a8a2c26d76525f6dd1f96addb1.png

Sub 980 low in January and not enough cold air. Can you imagine if we had had artic air in place for both of these storms? Would have truly been a week for the books? So much potential wasted. Still fun to track though just wish it was more snow

• LOVE 1

it looks like models have brought back the split low/strung out solution which is keeping it from  strong phasing earlier on like prior days, its hard to see on surface maps but several models are doing it.

Its much more clear on the ensembles maps, the strung out nature. One would've thought an intial weak low would pull in the cold air and set the stage for the main low but appears to be the opposite. Initial low pulling up some warmer air

image.thumb.png.e49a6badcc6cd0fea567d7182ba9e042.pngimage.thumb.png.f28902e5c0101a7e013ecfddbec35d1e.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • FACEPALM 1

5 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

it looks like models have brought back the split low/strung out solution which is keeping it from  strong phasing earlier on like prior days, its hard to see on surface maps but several models are doing it.

Its much more clear on the ensembles maps, the strung out nature. One would've thought an intial weak low would pull in the cold air and set the stage for the main low but appears to be the opposite. Initial low pulling up some warmer air

image.thumb.png.e49a6badcc6cd0fea567d7182ba9e042.pngimage.thumb.png.f28902e5c0101a7e013ecfddbec35d1e.png

it doesnt appear like this on the ECM which is why I think we see the full on bomb from it

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45