Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

6 minutes ago, Lazman said:

3 1/2 Inches at 11:00 AM. as measured by Steve T T-Rex here in Harleigh near Hazleton. I'd estimate another 3/4s has fallen since then. Looks to be letting up. Wish State College would roll out an old Army truck. 🦖❄️

PXL_20240116_161720164~2.jpg

Good to see Steve back

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Can officially call it moderate snow out there on the TJ scale....since the mountain across the street from me is now fuzzed out.  Time to accumulate some snow!

Schools let out at noon here...seems like a good call.

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Silly me - was thinka goin out to clean some more snow away

Looked out window - still snowing those needle flakes and seems to be pickin up agin 

I guess I just pour another hot cocoa brandy and relax

image.thumb.png.6d66cc76ebaf524a43edd4066855697c.pngI guess 

I already cleared off, guess I'll have to do it again whenever this stops. radar has been no help today.

• SAD 1

1 hour ago, BossaNova said:

Update from BOX. "Snow totals were bumped up a bit" which makes sense as we're well beyond the 1-3" that was forecast.  Coming down at a good clip - might get to 5-6" or more before the switch to sleet/zr.

No sooner did I post this than the snow let up and the rain started in, ruining the nice powder.  Still not showing up on the radar yet. Hoping for no ice issues later on.

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • YUCK 2

23 minutes ago, Greenjacket said:

27 on the car thermometer and what appears to be rain and drizzle.  Confusing.  

Looks like upper levels of atmosphere are above freezing while surface is below freezing.

IMG_8646.jpeg

Edited by Weathertop
  • LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, Gettysburger said:

So I guess looking back, the “Norm McDonald Rule” worked out. Just something interesting to take note of. 

IMG_2903.jpeg

“It always works, except when it doesn’t.” 😁

• LAUGH 1

• Moderators

Still no meso discussion from SPC regarding that band across central NY into northern VT....but it certainly looks worthy of one. Things continue to pick up here as I'm starting to move into the heavy snow category as trees across the street starting to fuzz out. Maybe 1"per hour rates out there now.

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

Pinging has started back up, hopefully this ends with flakes flying as some models have showed.

Edit: And as soon as I saved my post flakes have started mixing in.

Edited by LUCC
  • LIKE 2

45 minutes ago, mikeysed said:

+1 exactly same here, dry slot and light ZR and Sleet falling now, we'll see if it turns back to snow.

Gave the back patio a quick shovel last night around 1am, about an 1 inch and a half of light fluffy snow.  Looked outside around 11am today and it looks like we lost snow.  Just went out to clean up the little that fell and it was just a hard coat of ice on top of the dusting.  What a disappointment, and freezing rain still falling.  So much for an easy job on the driveway, ugh...

• YUCK 1

9 minutes ago, RobB said:

A few Local Storm Reports with snow amounts:

image.thumb.png.c2048abfa7ef1eb19795dc1dce3571c2.png

Sweet!  I made it with 4.3" lol 

but that last gasp did a head fake and laid down another 0.2" .. so the official "going in my book" amount for this one is 4.5" of pure powder.

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2