Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

4 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

Looks like a narly precip gap in central/eastern pa

Yeah, looks like the heaviest is setting up in northern PA this morning. Always interesting to see where reality puts the best stuff, despite what models suggest even up to the start of the event.

• LIKE 2

25 minutes ago, woodyelm said:

If you can't work from home, drive slower and give up a hundred feet of clearance to other vehicles.  But there is no white mud.  Carlisle, PA 23 degrees F.  89% humidity.  What hole?  Snow seems to be coming out of nowhere..

Yep - the dendrites are needles and radar really doesn't do well picking it up. It's not stopped falling, but accumulations will be meager with this type of snowflake type

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

Yeah, looks like the heaviest is setting up in northern PA this morning. Always interesting to see where reality puts the best stuff, despite what models suggest even up to the start of the event.

We would do well to bear this in mind. How many times have we seen it go both ways? 

• LIKE 1

Overperformer just north of Baltimore.  I don't have accurate measurements, but guessing in 4.5 range.  Did have a time that was potentially fleeting or just super fine balls of snow, which may have compacted the totals some.

17054093876001577028694855199505.jpg

• LIKE 4
  • SNOWMAN 3

• Moderators

Our biggest snowfall of the year. Had snow basically non-stop for about 24h, which hasn't happened for awhile. Unfortunately an average rate of 0.1"/hr means we only ended up with 2.5" over all that time.

• LIKE 3

We ended up with 5" here in southwest county, Roanoke.  I think folks were caught off guard because the local forecast was only 1-3, but worse than that, we had snow all day from about 6 am until about 2 that was so light there was no more than a dusting.  Everything started getting covered about 3-4, and then the heavy snow hit and within an hour roads went from no problem to quite a mess.  It was not only the most snow we have had in several years, but also one of the first times in years it was all snow with no rain to at the start or end.  A little sleet fell late last night, no rain.

• LIKE 4
  • SNOWMAN 4

12 miles NNW of center city Philadelphia. Total for the storm: 2 inches. Nothing visible falling but when I was outside I could feel something. Extremely light snow? Miniscule sleet? Fog-size droplets? Whatever it is, it is making the driveway surface slippery. Temperature 26F 

Street is wet (people walking dogs having no problem). Because: plows with salt several times during the night, and when I was outside a few minutes ago a smaller truck with salt came by. 

Snow seems fluffy but when pushed with the hand plow it quickly becomes dense and heavy.

Nothing much in the way of wind.

• LIKE 1

Just started about an hour or two ago here in northern NY.  Just a nice light snow....no idea how much will fall but they are saying it will fall all day.  Roads are a little greasy but the "Adirondack Cadillac" (Subaru outback) had no problems coming into work.

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

Freezing rain is now compacting the snow.  About 2” accumulated before the changeover at 7:30.

IMG_2375.jpeg

Edited by Burr
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

One inch, grass just covered. Snowing lightly, varies from a snizzle snow to full blown dendrites. Got 0.04" of liquid which seems light. 24°. No wind.  Road out front is slushy, but doesn't seem to be slowing people down. School is closed, probably ticked off a lot of parents, but I figure they have 3-5 snow days every year and haven't used them all in many years, so why not give them one.  

Current thinking is that the back edge over WPA will have to come through, but could be eaten up by the Apps.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-northeast-comp_radar-13_35Z-20240116_map_noBar-18-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.c6787b84a6c10e4cfec0ea98b11c7f58.gif

Edited by StretchCT

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

12 miles NNW of center city Philadelphia. Total for the storm: 2 inches. Nothing visible falling but when I was outside I could feel something. Extremely light snow? Miniscule sleet? Fog-size droplets? Whatever it is, it is making the driveway surface slippery. Temperature 26F 

Street is wet (people walking dogs having no problem). Because: plows with salt several times during the night, and when I was outside a few minutes ago a smaller truck with salt came by. 

Snow seems fluffy but when pushed with the hand plow it quickly becomes dense and heavy.

Nothing much in the way of wind.

Definitely turned to sleet. Pinging on the windows.

• DISAPPOINTED 1

59 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yup.. took us by surprise for sure.  No advisories, warnings or early morning plows out there.  Hopefully they start laying cinders soon.

8 hours ago, Tater said:

SummerTiresClub.jpeg.8b9f54632ffc0f0507ac4fee49c9b79e.jpeg

Also, and I can't stress this enough, you need to switch out your summer air out of your tires and replace it with winter air.  Its very easy.  Deflate all your tires to 0 so all that warm summer air gets out.  Then pump them back up with winter air (the air pump handles the cold air conversion for you).  

You will need a tire pressure gauge to verify that they are all at 0.  For those of you with cars that measure and show the air pressure for each tire on the console, you may have to drive it around a bit to get the reading to show 0.

• FACEPALM 1
  • LAUGH 3

2 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

One inch, grass just covered. Snowing lightly, varies from a snizzle snow to full blown dendrites. Got 0.04" of liquid which seems light. 24°. No wind.  Road out front is slushy, but doesn't seem to be slowing people down. School is closed, probably ticked off a lot of parents, but I figure they have 3-5 snow days every year and haven't used them all in many years, so why not give them one.  

Current thinking is that the back edge over WPA will have to come through, but could be eaten up by the Apps.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-northeast-comp_radar-13_35Z-20240116_map_noBar-18-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.c6787b84a6c10e4cfec0ea98b11c7f58.gif

The State College radar seems to be down for awhile.. it is snowing steadily despite the radar showing a hole in north central PA.

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

The State College radar seems to be down for awhile.. it is snowing steadily despite the radar showing a hole in north central PA.

CTP said that CCX (Capital City, New Cumberland) is down but they didn't mention UNV being down 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1

Went out to shovel early this morning.  31 but a warm 31.  No wind chill that I felt.  Got about 1 1/2 so far.  Very powdery, can't build a snowman.  But makes it easier to clean cars off and shovel.

Drove to work, maintained 31, 32 temp.  LIE was slow, mostly clear but had some slush from the salt and whatever was not plowed.  Side roads salted but not plowed yet.  Pothole season has begun.

Felt some sleet while walking into work.  Supposed to rain/sleet/snow until around 4 and then change to snow.  Supposed to get around 1 inch of snow/sleet.  

Going down to 18 tonight, going to freeze all this stuff.

• LIKE 1

I can confirm for my location the radar looks bleak but I just was out for about thirty minutes pushing some snow off the driveway and light/moderate snow is still falling. 

Edited by c8pjp
  • THANKS 1