Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

Oof, first leg done… if you don’t have to go out this AM. Please don’t, roads are crap and lots of slippery cars sliding around. Winter tires and 4x4 0 problems though. 

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

5am Measure:  2"  (½" last hour)

That's a "win" in my books already .. everything else is bonus now.  Heck yes.

6am:  2¼"

Radar filling in nicely upstream.  3-4" looking like a solid bet, 5" in the lucky spots, at least my region of North Central PA.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

27 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Local news reporting that a driver was in an incident on I-83 near Hbg (S) and was struck when they got out of their car by a tractor trailer. 😞

The "bad side" of our snowy days. 

November 22 I had a flat on 81 S a mile or so past the split with 78(smaller vehicle with no spare), there was a mix up with the dispatch of the tow truck so I sat on the side of the road for about 5 hours. No way was I sitting in my car, I got up on the hill off of 81, for that same reason. Ironically enough as I was sitting, waiting, another accident happened about 100 yards east of where I sat. Those TT are flying(I know we know this, but when you sit there for hours and watch truck after truck go by, it becomes more apparent). 

Edited by c8pjp
  • LIKE 1

Just now, c8pjp said:

November 22 I had a flat on 81 W a mile or so past the split with 78(smaller vehicle with no spare), there was a mix up with the dispatch of the tow truck so I sat on the side of the road for about 5 hours. No way was I sitting in my car, I got up on the hill off of 81, for that same reason. Ironically enough as I was sitting, waiting, another accident happened about 100 yards east of where I sat. Those TT are flying(I know we know this, but when you sit there for hours and watch truck after truck go by, it becomes more apparent). 

Yep, a couple years ago when he hit a deer on I80 at midnight, near W-B, my first thought was get my family behind the guiderail until help arrives.  F taking that risk.  No ironic stories to tell, but agreeing with the sentiment.

• THUMBS UP 1

Gotta say, RGEM did an amazing job with this one locally.  Always on the higher end of the totals, seems to be coming in looking like it had a good handle on this piecemeal system.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Gotta say, RGEM did an amazing joI am b with this one locally.  Always on the higher end of the totals, seems to be coming in looking like it had a good handle on this piecemeal system.

I am nearly beside myself with conflicted feelings over loving the Baby-G so much. It's been shining strong for the past while. 

• LAUGH 1

Just now, Anthonyweather said:

Looks like the hrrr backed off on the redevelopment. Less than an additional inch in the Lehigh valley. 

rap keeps the redevelopment with an additional 3”

Yeah, I saw that as well - not sure what to make of it. Overall I dislike HRRR after say 8 hours. But both models are within that so...

• The title was changed to Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

Woke up at 5AM to drive work to her job which is 10 mins away but she doesn't feel too comfortable driving in this snow. Eyeballing it around 2" of very fluffy stuff. Fine flakes falling right now that pick up in intensity from time to time resulting in larger flakes, then goes back to fine flakes. Temp 18F, calm wind.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

7 minutes ago, TheComet said:

Woke up at 5AM to drive work to her job which is 10 mins away but she doesn't feel too comfortable driving in this snow. Eyeballing it around 2" of very fluffy stuff. Fine flakes falling right now that pick up in intensity from time to time resulting in larger flakes, then goes back to fine flakes. Temp 18F, calm wind.

Gettin ready to take Mrs UTS to work. Not looking forward to the drive. Wish she'd retire already...

• LAUGH 1

47 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

6am:  2¼"

Radar filling in nicely upstream.  3-4" looking like a solid bet, 5" in the lucky spots, at least my region of North Central PA.

7am: 2.6"

If you can't work from home, drive slower and give up a hundred feet of clearance to other vehicles.  But there is no white mud.  Carlisle, PA 23 degrees F.  89% humidity.  What hole?  Snow seems to be coming out of nowhere..

• SNOWMAN 2