Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

19 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

SLP is in GA - following Shermans march to the sea. No influence at this point image.thumb.png.d0b2b67d59fd29f6ab48091e1d73a75d.png

Weird temps have crept up a degree or two past few hours bouncing between 27-28.

Edited by eddygeeme

We have about 3 inches now, has been some heavy snow for the las 2 hours, and roads are a disaster.  Not sure what happened, usually they do a better job here with the roads, but the roads are closed all around with wrecks at overpasses and bridges, or backed up with cars trying to get over them.  Interestingly I think what we got is just what has been discussed here for the last several days.  The models may have backed off for a day or two, but it seems like most of the discussion here was just be patient, they will come back around.  

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • SNOWMAN 2

6 minutes ago, 1816 said:

We seem to have gone over to sleet. Did not see that coming. Anyone wary of p type issues heads up. 

NWS  says it supposed to do that to my area after midnight.  A wintery mix. We will see. 

1 hour ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

This forum seems to be a much more talented, mature audience, so won’t have to live with all “omg, the radar doesn’t looK that impressive “ before it even starts 👍

bust. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 4
  • THUMBS UP 1

That guy over on americanwx talking about how climate change means its harder to snow. The sleet I'm getting right now helps his case big time. Came out of nowhere. It's coming down hard right now and I expected to add a whole lot of extra snow but it's nothing but pings.  Crazy. 

• SAD 2

• Meteorologist

Made it to Baltimore for my shift at the airport and most of the main roads were ok sides were snow covered a bit. 83 at 695 was a bit slushy but 295 was just not a good situation. If you have to take 295 from Baltimore to DC for whatever reason find a different way.

We have about 1.5-2" so far from a quick look. We don't have to take measurements anymore since the FAA changed things, technically we are barely a climo station. Lets see what happens overnight with the stuff over SW VA.

• LIKE 4

Even a small amount of snow can make the roads a disaster quickly if they don't pre-treat.  I am surprised that a major road like 295 wasn't pre-treated.  Not sure what they are doing on LI roads, but then again I don't plan on leaving the house to drive anywhere anyway.

• LIKE 1

12 miles NNW of center city Philadelphia. Since my last post (when there was nothing) there was a long pause in the snow. Started back up several hours ago but very light, very tiny flakes, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the driveway. Plow truck came through, didn't see much of anything on the plow (though it was down) but was spreading salt.

From traffic cameras on I-476, heavy traffic, moving at slow speed, road appears to be snow covered with "tracks" made by the vehicles.

• LIKE 1