Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

2 minutes ago, Weathertop said:

In the gap there between you and Mason-Dixon line but using the 700 map you mentioned earlier, I notice that we are in the upper section of the green now. Off and on right now but interesting any is reaching the ground, according to some radar images.

IMG_8607.gif

Yep, learned the 700mb level is tres importante from Paul Knight of Weather World PSU - that's where the snowflakes are "born" image.thumb.png.01b98288be909af540ac34ee0bdcf4ad.png

• LIKE 3
  • THANKS 1

30 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

What's amazed me on this storm is that the CMC for nearly all it's runs that are on TT, had a storm near or within the BM.  Only one run was a complete miss.  The NAM also picked up on this one too. 

Meanwhile the GFS and Euro keep backing precip NW

gfs_apcpn24_neus_fh36_trend.thumb.gif.615bd14b34dd32e472c42ee0dbf8c589.gif

1-1512zeuroqpftrend.gif.e006ec0d64e37c70db2ccd0010264cac.gif

Well thats Interesting..

Sounding like its over performing down south, according to the chasers on it.

• SHOCKED 1
  • THANKS 1

22 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I only care about the grocery store ads.  Most of the other stuff come via E-communication one way or the other. It's getting to be quaint to even have a mailbox these days, 

Between hooligans smashing them and plow operators bashing them with snow - why bother? lol

My mail half the time doesn't deliver the ads till the following week, didn't get ads last week yet. There only reliable for amazon packages these days.

2 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Word up - Tony L. (formerly PowerStroke 7.4 or something like that)  may be coming on board here. So be nice when commenting on his forecasts LOL (He is Lehigh Valley Wx Authority on Fb and now Twitter)

This would be a great addition to the folks here. I find his forecasts pretty solid for my area. 

47 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I only care about the grocery store ads.  Most of the other stuff come via E-communication one way or the other. It's getting to be quaint to even have a mailbox these days, 

Between hooligans smashing them and plow operators bashing them with snow - why bother? lol

Ours was just smashed on Saturday for the 4th time in a year.  Being the only house on a dirt road in an extremely rural area has advantages and disadvantages.

This spring we are going to anchor an 8ft steel pipe in the ground, install a 3inch thick steel mailbox on top and wrap it with wood to make it look normal.  Looking forward to watching the hilarity ensue on the trail cameras 🙂

• LAUGH 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 3

Real snow now. Good flakes decent rates. Everything is sopping wet so  most of it is still melting on contact. 31 degrees by car thermometer. Again, if it keeps up like this it won't be bare long. Grass and elevated surfaces already getting coated. 

• LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 1

12 miles NNW of center city Philadelphia. Very light snow stated about 2 minutes ago. Flakes very tiny, falling steadily, nothing on the ground at the moment, though the temperature has been below freezing since yesterday, now at 29.7F No wind to speak of. It will be interesting to watch, because the models and forecasts for my location run the gamut from coating to 6 inches, as well as mix, sleet, ice, and freezing rain.

• LIKE 3

• The title was changed to Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

It does have a nice moisture fetch it seems, I wish it would interact with the shortwave dropping down. It does look like it'll have some sorta influence, to my untrained eyes 

image.gif

1 hour ago, Weathertop said:

Off and on right now but interesting any is reaching the ground, according to some radar images.

I like to use RadarScope, that way you pick which radar your getting the info from. This will allow you to see how high up the radar beam is, farther away from the radar the higher you’ll be in the atmosphere.

49 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

Well  3 of my 4 weather apps say it is raining but it is actually light  snow. Of course it is not sticking as well it should. 

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

would you mind retaking to include full shot of the grill?  I need a point of reference. 

• LAUGH 6

11 minutes ago, Miller A said:

I was getting nervous.  It's been a day or two for them  

I haven’t seen mianaic post his shed lately…. Wasn’t sure of the current depth way up there 🤣

Hoping snow breeds more snow later this week ❄️💨💣

Edited by TLChip
  • LOVE 1

The latest hires models continue to support high-end advisory level snow accums over the southern Laurel Highlands and eastern portions of the lower Susquehanna Valley. HREF data run with WPC forecast SLR between 15-20:1 shows some potential for warning level 5-6" fluffy totals in these locations which will need to be monitored for a short lead upgrade next shift. The heaviest snow with peak rates 0.50-0.75"/hr is forecast over the southeast zones later tonight into the predawn hours Tuesday. Accumulating snow is forecast to pull to the northeast/taper off by Tuesday afternoon. - AFDCTP

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • SNOWMAN 1

7 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The latest hires models continue to support high-end advisory level snow accums over the southern Laurel Highlands and eastern portions of the lower Susquehanna Valley. HREF data run with WPC forecast SLR between 15-20:1 shows some potential for warning level 5-6" fluffy totals in these locations which will need to be monitored for a short lead upgrade next shift. The heaviest snow with peak rates 0.50-0.75"/hr is forecast over the southeast zones later tonight into the predawn hours Tuesday. Accumulating snow is forecast to pull to the northeast/taper off by Tuesday afternoon. - AFDCTP

Love it when a plan all comes together. 🙂

• THUMBS UP 1