Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Clap - might be a tough go to church. image.thumb.png.66eed3aac932e8862e6688666720d375.png

haha, we split the uprights.. the squalls went north and south of the valley  Classic though.

It got super windy in the past 5 mins.. arctic front passing?

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

We still may get a low end warning level event out of this in the MidAtl. Adjustments have been incremental yet steady and no reason to think they won't improve yet again today. I said two days ago that Noon yesterday would tell us much - and to me, it did! The meso models started to improve, albeit again - in small measure. At the very least we did not go even worse or stay the same. 

And the improvements being noted are with the ULL influence and placement - giving room on the inside track for models to respond accordingly. Huge props to those (yes, even RTC) who held fire until today before tossing anything. 

(as I type this, it is snowing btw)

And because there's no real place beyond LES threads to put this, I thought I'd give you a look at in situ Buffalo NY - sent by a weather friend just minutes ago. image.thumb.png.3d81abbf08e3e21d5a908cac5bb7dd33.png

You have struggled for years to give me compliments. Glad retirement has made you a somewhat nicer human being.

Yes still seems a bit of room to increase amounts. Fluff factor should help. 
Been busy starting to take the Christmas show down outside before the stakes i use for all the blow molds get locked in the frozen ground. Sadly, a really cool, new light pole with snow and music snapped at the base from those insane winds. Was a family Christmas gift 😢

• SAD 2

That front is no freaking joke.  Downwind folks, heads up.  WAtching mother nature prune the trees outback, not just small twigs either.  My PWS doesn't really capture "gusts" like you think of gusts.   Pretty sure it averages like 30-60 seconds of wind speed.

png1.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • FLUSHED 1
  • WIND 2
  • CYCLONE 1

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

That front is no freaking joke.  Downwind folks, heads up.  WAtching mother nature prune the trees outback, not just small twigs either.  My PWS doesn't really capture "gusts" like you think of gusts.   Pretty sure it averages like 30-60 seconds of wind speed.

png1.png

Holy crap. You’re not kidding. Batten down the hatches!

IMG_8683.gif

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • WIND 2

12 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

You have struggled for years to give me compliments. Glad retirement has made you a somewhat nicer human being.

Yes still seems a bit of room to increase amounts. Fluff factor should help. 
Been busy starting to take the Christmas show down outside before the stakes i use for all the blow molds get locked in the frozen ground. Sadly, a really cool, new light pole with snow and music snapped at the base from those insane winds. Was a family Christmas gift 😢

^Let's not get carried away now...

This was posted by NWS on their FB page

image.thumb.png.9fcbb922f2543cbafb07afaebb6c652f.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHIVERING 1

5 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Really, really hope l-95 crowd can get a few inches here. They might, and they have waited too lomg. 👍

Nah 15 days away from 2 years isn’t that long….

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

10 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

png1.png

Thank you for this Clap. Heading outside now to do some more takedown now that you posted this 👍👍.

• LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 1

5 minutes ago, Chris2333 said:

Nah 15 days away from 2 years isn’t that long….

Speak for yourself. DC has been since Jan 16 , 2022 to have 1” of snow on ground. 

Edited by Wtkidz
  • LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

We had our first casualty from the wind.  Our terra cotta gecko took a dive from above the door.  Two of them were hanging there for about 5 years, withstood many winds, but this wind is blowing more from the southeast at times, not typical.

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5623.jpeg

• SHOCKED 1
  • DISAPPOINTED 1
  • SAD 7