Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Some spots around PA

9z SREF Best Snow Pops Period & Mean Snowfall (ratios considered)

• Williamsport = 75%+ (1am-7am Tue), 3"
  • Harrisburg = 75%+ (4am-7am), 3"
  • Scranton = 75%+ (4am-1pm), 3½"
  • Allentown = 65%+ (1am-1pm), 3½"
  • Philly = 50%+ (10pm-1am), 2¼"

Was telling Mrs UTS that it's "been a minute" since we had snowfall and DIDNOT immediately go AN temps. This week will be difficult (for me) to deal with - snow upon snow with no chance of thaw 😞

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

lol last night's banter with @Rickrd

Yeah - I saw that. Thought it was RickRd who was attending services. RTC like to spontaneously burst into flames if he crossed a church foyer. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

We still may get a low end warning level event out of this in the MidAtl. Adjustments have been incremental yet steady and no reason to think they won't improve yet again today. I said two days ago that Noon yesterday would tell us much - and to me, it did! The meso models started to improve, albeit again - in small measure. At the very least we did not go even worse or stay the same. 

And the improvements being noted are with the ULL influence and placement - giving room on the inside track for models to respond accordingly. Huge props to those (yes, even RTC) who held fire until today before tossing anything. 

(as I type this, it is snowing btw)

And because there's no real place beyond LES threads to put this, I thought I'd give you a look at in situ Buffalo NY - sent by a weather friend just minutes ago. image.thumb.png.3d81abbf08e3e21d5a908cac5bb7dd33.png

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 1

Hey I take my  up to ann 1”  and like it.   I am so glad I do not  have to  do my 130mile round trip commute. I telework (thank you pandemic).  People here cannot drive  on sunny days much less when it rains, you mention snow and there are 15 accidents and 100’s of people abandoning their car.s  And that’s just on I-95. 

17 minutes ago, bigben89 said:

More snow in Little Rock than Philadelphia. lol 

I feel pretty confident Georgia and coastal NC/VA have seen more snow than the Philly region the last two years. They had a huge blizzard come up the coast in 2022. 

• LIKE 1

IMBY  

MLK Day
A chance of snow, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday Night
Snow likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Light southeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible. 
Tuesday
A chance of rain and snow before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Light north wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • SNOWMAN 1

48 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

This can EASILY improve some.

or go the other way 🍻

This is like an extremely slow fropa, I have no idea what to expect. Light to moderate snowfall for around 16-20 hours?

Edited by TLChip

17 minutes ago, TLChip said:

or go the other way 🍻

This is like an extremely slow fropa, I have no idea what to expect. Light to moderate snowfall for around 16-20 hours?

I see no way for it to go against what the model itself is showing. If anything, I think you may be onto something with the extent of the period. I mentioned a few days ago that this reminded me of a mini PDII. The models are still trying to figure out just how important - and in what way if it is important - the trailing vort max is. Does it act as an achor? Does it develop it's own QPF coverage? Does it join the lead vort to create a beast? 

18 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

12 Z NAM  

floop-nam-2024011412.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

Pay attention to "over top" - how the confluence weakens to allow a more "left" track. I'll wait for Baby-G but these trends are more than slight, imho. 

• TROPHY 1

1 minute ago, PA road DAWG said:

Let’s go baby!!!  Let’s nickel and dime me to death.  All the way to our average of 50”+ a year.  

NADS until FEB - then, brace yourselves as MJO swings at high amplitude through Ph7 and heads towards 8 😉 

Edit - the squalls crossing the region are serious. Even the edges of the bands are coating a frozen surface

Edited by Undertakerson2.0