Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

1 minute ago, Rickrd said:

GFS is a flopping

IMG_8667.png

It's slightly better as In coatings vs zero a little further north. I'm believing the hi res will have a better handle here as globals always struggle with the tpv strength and placement even as the storm is starting.

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

Yea don’t get your hopes up w the rgem.  It’s let me down 99% of the time all the time. 

Not getting hopes up. Just looking at the situation. If you think I'm sitting around being like oh yeah the rgem says snow so it's highly likely, well then you're wrong lol. But definitely wouldn't rule out an outcome similar although probably a tad south/ weaker.

• LIKE 2

17 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Change GFS to BPS. BiPolarSystem. Hate it. Always have. Would rather a model be wrong every run than wild fluctuations. At least when a model is consistently off run to run, you can factor that tendency in. 

I remember the time in the not so terribly distant past when you could rely on model tendencies, strengths and weaknesses , to have more clarity. Now they have been updated out of there, and are just inconsistent for the most part. Euro was always better with southern based sysytems, not so much with northern, NAM was always too warm, too wet, one model was always too progressive ( can’t remember the name), GFS - ok , lemme get back to you on that one. Think it might have been better with northern Systems, clippers. So you could kind of get the picture, and earlier because of those tendencies. Now it’s just a cluster f’, and they fumble even simple ones. 
Maybe it’s more fun this way , like the old days. I’m rolling with that 😀

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

12z round up so far

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh48-84.gif

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh48-84.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh48-84.gif

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh48-84 (1).gif

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_fh48-84.gif

Somewhat off topic question. How do I pause these moving maps so that I can look at the time in the upper left corner and then look at the precipitation (which is down to the right)? I find it difficult (aside from converting z time to EST) to tie the movement to the time. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Somewhat off topic question. How do I pause these moving maps so that I can look at the time in the upper left corner and then look at the precipitation (which is down to the right)? I find it difficult (aside from converting z time to EST) to tie the movement to the time. Thanks.

Don't think yiou can pause the gif, but .. you can go here for all your model time stamp needs 🙂 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I use Pivotal Weather most of the time, its free and easy to use. It's not too hard to figure this out but this menu lets you do it a few different ways. Welcome!

6gQ5yMu.png

Just now, TLChip said:

I use Pivotal Weather most of the time, its free and easy to use. It's not too hard to figure this out but this menu lets you do it a few different ways. Welcome!

6gQ5yMu.png

Thank you. I will also try that. Much appreciated.

• THUMBS UP 1

5 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Odd man out gfs. What a surprise

Yeah.  Seems like there's a nice little period of light snow that moves northeast from TN through New England.  It ain't sexy, but it's snow in January.  Assuming every model (so far) except the GFS is right in its surface depictions.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

10 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

They postponed it. What a bummer. More evidence of the wussification of society. Buffalo used to take pride in snow games. Now this is what we get because it's too dangerous. But the bars and restaurants will still be full I bet. 

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 1

20 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yeah.  Seems like there's a nice little period of light snow that moves northeast from TN through New England.  It ain't sexy, but it's snow in January.  Assuming every model (so far) except the GFS is right in its surface depictions.

I’ll take 3 inches of powdery snow and run, thank you! 😁

Edited by Gettysburger
  • LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Lead by the BabyG RGEM/RDPS whichever you choose to call it. 

It locked in early and never let go save for one run among the prior 12 cycles I use it more than NAM

I remember being all excited for an all snow event and then the nw trend began on the short range models .