Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

What’s our biggest culprit negating this system?   Is it the PV lobe being too far east and not far enough west into the Hudson Bay area?   Seems we can’t get the pendulum to swing quick enough

Edited by PA road DAWG

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

What’s our biggest culprit negating this system?   

I submit the following two candidates for nomination:

21 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Literally my fault ya durned snow freaks* (* term of affection)

I decided to put the chains on the Bota after seeing 12z GFS jump in the ring and then UKM. 

When I got back in the house, 12z Euro had passed the time frame of this storm. 

And I laughed so loud I scared one of my cats - and that one lives out on the screen porch. 

Sorry NS. 

3 hours ago, Snowadelphia said:

For I-95 folks - I’m going out to buy rock salt today. Apologies in advance. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 2
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, Rush said:

"Minor event".  That's the biggest storm in years here!

Right! Hah. I know the 6+'s are sexy and al, but dammed if Im going to be sad about a 1-4" fluff event in mid-Jan.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Yep - it may come on up this run. How strong TBD

I goofed and didn't realize it was yesterdays 12z I was comparing too.  Not sure why TT does that.  Pivotal is 12z to 6z.

• Moderators

There's just no shortwave like the one the GFS sees.  Longwave there are differences, but the overall ideas are the same.  The Euro just doesn't buy there's a shortwave going across the OH/IN/MI area. 

models-2024011212-f114.500hv.conus.gif.ccac54f1ad132ff9ce0aa86972292c17.gif

Edited by StretchCT

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

The Euro just doesn't buy there's a shortwave going across the OH/IN/MI area. 

Wrong.  It's there, it just goest through a day earlier.  It's over L Erie vs being over NE IA. 

models-2024011212-f096.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.9eef23e82b35ce40a3f7479c0f5bf029.gif

• LIKE 1

11 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Wrong.  It's there, it just goest through a day earlier.  It's over L Erie vs being over NE IA. 

models-2024011212-f096.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.9eef23e82b35ce40a3f7479c0f5bf029.gif

Enough difference to keep an eye on this bugger obviously.  For your thread, not necessarily mine..

• LIKE 1

What do you all know about the Norm McDonald rule? That usually a storm exits at the same latitude it entered on the west coast. 
I know a lot of people don’t like him (Margavage) but he brought this up in one of his posts. Just curious what you all think? 

IMG_2903.jpeg

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, PA road DAWG said:

What’s our biggest culprit negating this system?   Is it the PV lobe being too far east and not far enough west into the Hudson Bay area?   Seems we can’t get the pendulum to swing quick enough

I bought snowsuits for the kids after the last snowstorm, 2 or so years ago...it hasn't really snowed here since.  I bought them big, but am guessing they may not fit...so as soon as they outrgrow them, the snowgates will open.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

8 minutes ago, lvnbraves said:

I bought snowsuits for the kids after the last snowstorm, 2 or so years ago...it hasn't really snowed here since.  I bought them big, but am guessing they may not fit...so as soon as they outrgrow them, the snowgates will open.

Throw them out. The community here will overnight new ones once a snowstorm happens…

I have a Schrödinger’s cat situation with my snowblower, haven’t started it in 2 years. Does it still work? Maybe, will I start it up? Nope because that will guarantee no snow, will roll the dice once we get a good storm. 

Edited by Chris2333
  • LAUGH 3
  • FIRE 1