Jan. 15-17th, 2024 | NE/MidAtl Winter Storm

MaineJay

Just going off of Ewall MREF output, the GFS is "seeing" a few potential out right bombs in the mix. RN there are ~5 such depictions within the set. 

Essentially, the slower the evolution, the stronger and "bombier" the outcome. 

Here's the link - look from Hr 120-144

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ENSPRS_6z/ensloopmref.html

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 2

33 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Just going off of Ewall MREF output, the GFS is "seeing" a few potential out right bombs in the mix. RN there are ~5 such depictions within the set. 

Essentially, the slower the evolution, the stronger and "bombier" the outcome. 

Here's the link - look from Hr 120-144

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ENSPRS_6z/ensloopmref.html

Been so long since I used Eyewall.  Re bookmarking.  I dig it for its usefulness and nostalgia.

Edited by RobB
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, Penn State said:

Ukie was well west at 00z.. Just another solution, but maybe indicating there's still room to the west? UKMET17kmUnitedStatesMSLP.gif.42c6e56cb76c82a9cb5f9d8d53c8a622.gif

Prior to that run the UK held back so much energy in the US SW that WPC tossed it entirely in their decision makking

• LIKE 2
  • FACEPALM 1

16 hours ago, clm said:

GFS showing spotty totals on Long Island.  Very weird map as 0 for most of the area with only a few spots getting 4 or so.  

image.thumb.png.bb757d9e10b5ce4e502fbe783c168a00.png

Must be those high elevations in LI LOL

• LAUGH 3

• Admin
11 hours ago, mikered30 said:

I am surprised that an imposter snobol hasn't made an account yet and  stared  typing    like  this

Don't tempt us, we have all thought about it....

10 hours ago, StretchCT said:

No no no... you'll have to be surprised.  

ed1f4024-9aee-4e57-8963-4f91b5f62c8e_screenshot.thumb.jpg.34dc40f36c1c3fd88811f96fbf311bd2.jpg

6 hours ago, Rickrd said:

lol. Ya, I can see that. But SNOBAL was indeed a real dude back in the day when a lot of us were in the Accuweather forums. From what I remember, with every storm he was the anti-storm guy. People were just out to post thoughts 5,6,7 days out and he would come in and throw a 1 liner in there why it wasn’t happening and really offer no explanation. It became hysterical through time and the SNOBAL factor was born. 

Sometimes I wonder if SNOBAL was one of the Administrators for the AccuWx Forums who was there to lighten the mood when needed.

• LIKE 1
  • FLUSHED 1
  • LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Admin

Regarding this potential, I would assert that it is likely one of the best the coast has experienced in years. As previously mentioned, my focus lies in pattern recognition, and I believe that this forecasted influx of Arctic Air is poised to create the conditions for a significant winter weather event along the I-95 Region. While small-scale weather events can sometimes override overall pattern recognition, the current outlook appears favorable for a substantial impact along the Eastern Seaboard. My primary concern at the moment is the possibility of suppression, although I do not currently observe indications of that either.

With the intrusion of Arctic Air and the presence of an active Southern Stream, the chances of a robust storm intensify. The development of baroclinicity resulting from the temperature gradient sets the stage for the potential formation of a powerful storm. Additionally, the infiltration of cold air seems notably robust. Given this pattern setup, I would argue that the I-95 Corridor could find itself contending with significant winter weather events.

Of course, it's important to note that there is still a long way to go in monitoring and understanding these developments.

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 2

41 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Don't tempt us, we have all thought about it....

ed1f4024-9aee-4e57-8963-4f91b5f62c8e_screenshot.thumb.jpg.34dc40f36c1c3fd88811f96fbf311bd2.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if SNOBAL was one of the Administrators for the AccuWx Forums who was there to lighten the mood when needed.

It's possible - the forums could get a bit heated at times and WeatherMatrix would have to come in to calm everything down.  The doom and gloomers, as well as the NIMBYs, were really prevalent then.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

10 hours ago, eddygeeme said:

With the way there winter has been I'm sure the Delmarva folks would take their 1-2 inch snow and run.

I watched Bernie video and he said this will be a northeast storm higher up not for us on shore

1 minute ago, clm said:

Canadian model showing 2 to 4 for Long Island

image.thumb.png.e1897500944405bd1003af9ea6f39053.png

Honestly, I just want to take my 5 y/o sledding for the first time in 2 years and show my 17 month old what snow looks like. I’ll take those 2.5 inches in a heart beat.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 3

• Social Media Crew

I know it's the long-range NAM.. So throw it out if you wish. However, it looks like for the time stamp, that it's holding the energy back in the SW. I don't know how this plays into the slower vs. faster conversation, and how that impacts the potential for a storm. However.. it looks like the more progressive solutions shoot that energy east a little faster. floop-nam-2024011112.500hv.conus.gif.7751618afe32b262a4cd03b6cd554461.gif

2 minutes ago, Bucikaroo said:

Did anyone see a storm showing up for 17-19 

For what area?  GFS shows some stray snow in some areas, but does not look to be much.

image.thumb.png.7af4959ebda500b6fcf6589c205ce06e.png

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RobB said:

Been so long since I used Eyewall.  Re bookmarking.  I dig it for its usefulness and nostalgia.

PSU's e-wall and NCEP models page were the way to view models when I was originally dipping my toes in the weather world...remember when IWM came along with snowfall output and was a game changer. Now we're really spoiled with Pivotal and TT

Let's see what 12z runs bring us....🤞

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, telejunkie said:

PSU's e-wall and NCEP models page were the way to view models when I was originally dipping my toes in the weather world originally...remember when IWM came along with snowfall output and was a game changer. 

Let's see what 12z runs bring us....🤞

Boom diggity.  Pretty much the same with me....

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew

ICON remains progressive.. comes together too late for widespread impacts further south. NE looks to do well on this particular run. floop-icon-2024011112.prateptype_cat_icon-imp.conus.gif.819daf830f41d882e438443f6a699897.gif