January 9-10, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

1 hour ago, TheRex said:

High Wind Warning for my area.  I have a question:  Since the ground is frozen here, would trees be less likely to fall from the wind, or would that increase the chances that the trees just snap in two?

When the tree can't move, it is more likely to snap, especially pines.  But the ground is going to soften quickly with the rain and rising temps.  Combined with the high winds, you'll see them coming down.  You'll be getting the best of both worlds, all in one storm.  You may want to invest in a football helmet....

• LAUGH 2
  • THANKS 1

What blows me away is this pattern.  Power may not even be restored from this storm, when it's sister waltzes into town Friday night into Saturday, then their cousin is on deck for early next week.  The whole house generator has moved way up the budget list in the last few weeks.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Social Media Crew
19 minutes ago, MainelySnow said:

What blows me away is this pattern.  Power may not even be restored from this storm, when it's sister waltzes into town Friday night into Saturday, then their cousin is on deck for early next week.  The whole house generator has moved way up the budget list in the last few weeks.

We looked into one of those.. it was crazy expensive, but it might be worth it considering what’s coming up. 

• THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, MainelySnow said:

Jan  2022 2.5 days  no power wife said generator needed. Make her happy  have a generator duel fuel  well worth it. But have not had to use it. We are ready. 

Edited by Wtkidz
  • LIKE 2

5 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

Jan  2022 2.5 days  no power wife said generator needed. Make her happy  have a generator duel fuel  well worth it. But have not had to use it. We are ready. 

I am the wife, and have had windows on my wish list but if we are another 3-4 days listening to the portable generator drone along in a hallelujah chorus with our neighbors' portable generators, Mama is moving the automatic generator WAY up the list!

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • &$!#% 1
  • LOVE 1

52 minutes ago, Penn State said:

We looked into one of those.. it was crazy expensive, but it might be worth it considering what’s coming up. 

The one my folks got was $10k, but they wanted to be able to do everything, even laundry.  My power is out, the last thing I am worried about is laundry.  I just want to have lights, be able to plug in my computer, charge my phone, as well as the well pump and hot water heater.  For a smaller one installed, my electrician is thinking $5-6K.  Still a chunk of change, but it will be worth it.  At least we have the portable in the meantime.

• LIKE 3

1 minute ago, MainelySnow said:

I am the wife, and have had windows on my wish list but if we are another 3-4 days listening to the portable generator drone along in a hallelujah chorus with our neighbors' portable generators, Mama is moving the automatic generator WAY up the list!

Mine is   Portable but  is portable but is 12,000 watts so we can run most of the house if needed.  I am on well and that was the worst problem  no running water . 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

2 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

Mine is   Portable but  is portable but is 12,000 watts so we can run most of the house if needed.  I am on well and that was the worst problem  no running water . 

We've got the well pump on ours - makes a difference when you can take a shower or get water to cook with.  The big gig for the portable though is the freezers.  We've got two in the cellar chock full of meat that I am not about to lose. I'd also like to learn more about the solar generators....interesting concept if they work well.

• LIKE 1

44 minutes ago, MainelySnow said:

solar generators

@MainelySnow-  We had an 11.88 kWH system installed in 2017.  We benefited from State and Federal tax incentives.  We are also part of an energy producing collaborative and receive 1/4ly cash dividends.  We achieved our ROI in ~4 years instead of the projected 7.  We have paid only 2 electric bills since We went into production due to inverter issues; some due to EverSource®.  Our problem is when the grid goes down so do We.  There was a State/Federal/Supplier initiative with which I/We could have battery banks installed to provide Us and the grid power when the grid fails. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

20 minutes ago, jbrumberg said:

@MainelySnow-  We had an 11.88 kWH system installed in 2017.  We benefited from State and Federal tax incentives.  We are also part of an energy producing collaborative and receive 1/4ly cash dividends.  We achieved our ROI in ~4 years instead of the projected 7.  We have paid only 2 electric bills since We went into production due to inverter issues; some due to EverSource®.  Our problem is when the grid goes down so do We.  There was a State/Federal/Supplier initiative with which I/We could have battery banks installed to provide Us and the grid power when the grid fails. 

Interesting.  You must have a lot of neighbors for a collaborative?  We are rural, so I'm wondering how that works or would work?  The only thing keeping us on the grid is the internet since I need a fast, reliable connection for work. Once I retire, I'd love to go off-grid with a good solar system. Do you mind if I ask that approximately cost of your system?

1 hour ago, MainelySnow said:

Interesting.  You must have a lot of neighbors for a collaborative?  We are rural, so I'm wondering how that works or would work?  The only thing keeping us on the grid is the internet since I need a fast, reliable connection for work. Once I retire, I'd love to go off-grid with a good solar system. Do you mind if I ask that approximately cost of your system?

@MainelySnow-  The collaborative with which We are members is regional.   Our out of pocket expenses were ~ cost of a Forester ~ $28K.  We really do not have any neighbors around here.  Our neighbor(s) are ~ 1/4 mile away over hills; roadways ~ .5miles.  Our property has ~ 1/2 mile of road frontage.  We do benefit because most of our neighbors went "solar" so the cost of transmission were reduced and Eversource® "has to" keep the grid operating..  Every time Eversource® tries to "cheap out" on transmission $ by reducing line voltage I/We have inverter circuit breakers breaking.  We usually go into winter heating season with ~ $1K credit and it really PO's me that Eversource® makes out royally on the difference between what they charge and what We produce.🤬.  Our Dairyman neighbor rented out a lot of his pasturage.  His system is 100X larger than Ours🤯

Edited by jbrumberg

I just figured out why NWS kept lowering the Binghamton max for Wednesday: the storm is speeding up, and temperatures are non diurnal for that day: in other words, they are not going to tell me what the max is going to be. According to their website, taken verbatim, tomorrow night will not have a “low” temperature, and Wednesday will not have a “high” temperature either. Wednesday could have a max anywhere from 38-51, but I don’t see anything higher than 39. Non- diurnal temperatures are a pain in the rear!

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, ionizer said:

I'm hearing quotes of $15k nowadays for generator installs

Our 25kw whole home generator install was $20,000.  We are in a remote location though, and the propane company had to bring in a crane to install a larger propane tank to potentially fuel the generator for 2+ weeks if needed.

• THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1