January 9-10, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew
41 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

12Z GFS

gfs-deterministic-conus-instant_ptype-4823200.png

I was really excited about this around hour 120.. then it cuts much further north. I still think with snow on the ground, some cold air settles in and this is more wintry than wet. Probably wrong, but I have hope. 

• Social Media Crew

Notice the H to the north.. it keeps coming west. I imagine if it were to be further west and stronger, this cuts under, not over.. trend-gfs-2024010412-f120.prateptype_cat-imp.conus.gif.ad3eadabe1d4e98e2c50aa103b9e7448.gif

• LIKE 3

• Social Media Crew
Just now, NEPAsnow said:

more trending with this imo

Oh for sure.. Cutters never change.. until they do lol ..Lots of these storms have had big adjustments under 120 hours. I assume that will continue. 

• Moderators

We need that height rise out in front of the main wave to be suppressed. Could this wave over top be our savior to create a more of confluence zone? If that could dig more and squash down the heights...we could have a major NE snowstorm. Time will tell....

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 1.07.30 PM.png

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 1

• Admin

Obligatory flooding, kinda goes without saying these days. There's been so many heavy rain effects in 2023, 2024 wants keep that going.  Every time I talk to my towns public works guys they are fixing roads damaged by heavy rain. Still lots of cones up where the shoulders are washed out.

ens_2024010500_ne_24h_tpi_SFC_144.thumb.png.b9cdba7aa8e7e2f6765a44dd1b816006.png

• LIKE 2

• Admin

975mb in the ensemble mean. What a beast. Plenty of low 960s in here. I think the record for Michigan is like 967mb from what I can find.  955mb is like the record for non tropical in the CONUS.

eps_lowlocs_eus_23.thumb.png.b2d886247e0eaef89abb2b0c07f59e5b.png

• LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 2

51 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

We should be paying attention to this one. 

IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_1641.jpeg

The storm that was 2 weeks prior to this one that caused the worst damage in ME but also MA and RI (that I know of) - was that similar? Weaker even?  Those are some nasty winds if that verifies.

• LIKE 1

2 hours ago, TheComet said:

Hopefully we can get our front end thump in NEPA and get dry slotted right away right before the change over.

That's the best when that happens .. 2-5", some sleet pellets.. drizzle.. dry slot.  Yaaaas. lol

• LIKE 1

• Admin
Just now, buxtonian said:

This has the making of being another disaster for Maine,. 12" of snow this weekend  followed by high winds and heavy rain mid week.  geeeez

Tough sledding as they say. GYX seems to be thinking the whole might at least let the cold cling to the surface, and blunt the winds.

• LIKE 1

34 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Tough sledding as they say. GYX seems to be thinking the whole might at least let the cold cling to the surface, and blunt the winds.

Seems to me GYX said that the last time.