January 9-10, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

BTV's snowfall totals from the Jan 9-10 snow event.  The mountains did well.  The ski resorts will have a really nice solid base going into the long holiday weekend.

image.thumb.png.04dc4a69e0b2f109912cfbd1efc4c958.png

• LOVE 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I've helped my neighbor in the past gather sap from some acreage that they tap.  They tap with buckets and gather with two horses pulling a wagon or sleigh.  They try to do the process like it was being done 100 years ago.  After seeing how much hard work it is to make maple syrup, it should be sold for at least $200 a gallon.

Economies of scale certainly play a role. I've tweaked a few things and improved a few things over the decade or so I've been making syrup, and while I'm making twice as much syrup as when I first started out, it isn't twice as much work.

A commercial operation with vacuum lines and very few collection points takes a lot of labor out of gathering sap. Using reverse osmosis saves a lot of boiling (I haven't incorporated this yet), and oil/gas fired evaporators take the work out of feeding the fire (I use wood with no plans to change). Filtering syrup is always a problem in small operations. Once you get large enough to use a filter press (and the other handling equipment that necessitates), filtering and bottling is a much less intensive operation.

If everyone had to make syrup with buckets, wood fires, and no reverse osmosis, maple syrup probably would be $200/gal.

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

The sugar dust btw... Amazingly Combustible. 

Many kinds of dust are very dangerous. Feed mill explosions are all too common from welding repairs that ignite the grain dust.

OSHA gives the following (not exhaustive) list: 

"A wide variety of materials that can be explosible in dust form exist in many industries. Examples of these materials include: food (e.g., candy, sugar, spice, starch, flour, feed), grain, tobacco, plastics, wood, paper, pulp, rubber, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, dyes, coal, metals (e.g., aluminum, chromium, iron, magnesium, and zinc)."

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• Moderators

Power has just come back after being out for 20 hours and the winds have started ripping again...now out of the west. Lights are flickering...see if we can keep it on this time. Some snow moving in too...

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 1
  • WIND 1

Power is still out here, but we were able to get the generator going. Made a service call to the company that installed it in March, we moved in in June, and they came out and got it running. Somehow, the battery was dead. The thing has only been installed since March and has run a couple of times for no more than an hour. Something sounds off to me but it's fixed and we have power 

• SAD 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to January 9-10, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm