January 9-10, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

While being on a well I appreciate the rain I agree with this thought. 

IMG_0496.png

I just planted 84 sugar maple trees around our property last month and I'm quite happy that God has seen fit to indulge my laziness by watering them for me.

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

7 minutes ago, Tater said:

I just planted 84 sugar maple trees around our property last month and I'm quite happy that God has seen fit to indulge my laziness by watering them for me.

Nice.  Not familiar with your area, but does the area produce a lot of days and nights of going above/below 32 for the sap to flow?

• Admin
1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

Go in the shower, spray the shower onto the shower curtain or door, moving it up and down.  That's what it sounded like in the bedroom which is on the south side.  Then... it was quiet.  

A1zV1fxtMEL._AC_UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.1e296b9d59621af639bd20ab907a071b.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tater said:

Send me a link, the wife and I use maple sugar quite a bit. 

Side note - I inspected (insurance) a few pretty large sugaring operations. They are quite fascinating, and the hazards are pretty surprising as well. 

• LOVE 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:00 AM, TLChip said:

incredible the size of this storm.
qMyGO1m.png

There's no "let's make a left and drive out of this storm" if you're in the middle of it.

Just now, Uscg Ast said:

A1zV1fxtMEL._AC_UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.1e296b9d59621af639bd20ab907a071b.jpg

Send me a link, the wife and I use maple sugar quite a bit. 

Side note - I inspected (insurance) a few pretty large sugaring operations. They are quite fascinating, and the hazards are pretty surprising as well. 

I prefer maple sugar over regular.  Not refined or processed, just pure natural sugar.

You can buy the pure maple syrup and make maple sugar out of it.  Just need to get it up to 260 degrees though.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, clm said:

I prefer maple sugar over regular.  Not refined or processed, just pure natural sugar.

You can buy the pure maple syrup and make maple sugar out of it.  Just need to get it up to 260 degrees though. 

Yeah, the machines make it easier, which I don't have 🤣. I don't use refined sugar at all, well, very very rarely I should say. I try to never use it period. 

The sugar dust btw... Amazingly Combustible. 

• THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, Uscg Ast said:

Yeah, the machines make it easier, which I don't have 🤣. I don't use refined sugar at all, well, very very rarely I should say. I try to never use it period. 

I never knew sugar dust was combustible.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, clm said:

I never knew sugar dust was combustible.

Incredibly so, when dry and fine. It builds up (much like saw dust or metal shavings) and it can lead to some large explosions. Sugar dust is treated (and is) as a pretty dangerous hazard when built up. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

11 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

No need for a machine.  Just get one of these bad boys.

image.thumb.png.f95133853dfcfb5ef3a3ec072834e785.png

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, telejunkie said:

Winds have calmed down but for some reason my car battery was dead this morning. Guessing moisture must have found it's way in to wires and drained the battery. Unfortunately seems like my jumper system isn't strong enough anymore either to jump it and can't roll start it giving there is like 3" of sludge/slush on the driveway....guess the kids get a day off school. Of course, no one's around at the moment to help.

While I'm not a mechanic....I think i may have figured out what wrong with my car. Calling around to my son's teachers now....seeing if he had a big exam or something today...

fe4d5c40-bcda-469c-a8c8-7a9f3b015426.jpg

• SHOCKED 2
  • FACEPALM 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

Just now, telejunkie said:

While I'm not a mechanic....I think i may have figured out what wrong with my car. Calling around to my son's teachers now....seeing if he had a big exam or something today...

Yep, that ain't going anywhere.

• THUMBS UP 2

51 minutes ago, clm said:

There's no "let's make a left and drive out of this storm" if you're in the middle of it.

More like go up a hill and wait out the flood 🤣 hope there’s no trees around, or grab a helmet. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

30 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Is that ✂️? Yikes

39 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

A little duct tape and the car will be good as new.

• LAUGH 3
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Is that ✂️? Yikes

somehow cut itself...guessing all the dirt roads I drive on and so much bouncing.

14 minutes ago, longislander said:

Why is the negative post removed and the ground wire cut?

removed the negative post to check the fuses for a blown one...didn't need to electrocute myself testing like the battery fuse...when I noticed the issue at hand.

Temp have fallen back to 39F. Sounds like afternoon showers should be of the frozen variety.

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, clm said:

Nice.  Not familiar with your area, but does the area produce a lot of days and nights of going above/below 32 for the sap to flow?

It isn't quite as consistent as further north, and some years are really bad (last year being one of the worst I've dealt with). However, usually I can tap in early to mid February and have sap run til early to mid March (with a few gaps where it is too cold or too warm). Last year I barely had a week where it ran (even though night temps were sometimes mid-20s, that couldn't refreeze a tree that was in the sunshine at 50 degrees the day before). My shaded trees ran much better since they didn't get so hot in the day. Normally sunny trees do better since they freeze/thaw quicker, but that doesn't apply when the tree is too warm to freeze. Another year I made syrup right up til the end of March (also very unusual), so it varies quite a bit.

Unfortunately my trees are 30 minutes away, and I only make 10-15 gallons a year, which barely covers our family of nine plus friends and extended family we share it with.

The 84 trees I just planted will hopefully eventually take care of the hour travel time to gather sap, plus then I can run vacuum and potentially double my yield over the gravity setup I have now. I hope to get 20-30 gallons of syrup per year from those new trees eventually, but that'll be two decades away (if I'm lucky and they grow fast).

I don't generally make any sugar, though I do make some maple candy every year. My operation isn't large enough to justify the equipment, plus I tap on land that isn't mine, so could potentially lose it at any time.

Factoring in travel expenses, I could buy syrup much cheaper than making it myself (and that's before factoring labor "costs"). Of course, not all choices are about dollars and cents. I console myself that other people spend a lot more than that on more questionable sources of fun.

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, clm said:

He can fix it.

image.png.e17db3a4f177714613af7de71b3520a6.png

Wondering if he can fix a dam that failed.

Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service New York NY
1040 AM EST Wed Jan 10 2024

The National Weather Service in Upton has extended the

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  A Dam Break on the Yantic River below Fitchville Pond Dam in...
  Central New London County in southern Connecticut...

* Until 1245 PM EST.

* At 1040 AM EST, county dispatch reported the potential failure of
  Fitchville Pond Dam.

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding from the potential
           failure of Fitchville Pond Dam.

SOURCE...County dispatch.

IMPACT...Life threatening flash flooding is possible in areas
           downstream from the Fitchville Pond Dam along the
           Yantic River.

* The nearest downstream town is Bozrah, Fitchville, located 0.1
  mile.
  • SHOCKED 3

5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Wondering if he can fix a dam that failed.

Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service New York NY
1040 AM EST Wed Jan 10 2024

The National Weather Service in Upton has extended the

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  A Dam Break on the Yantic River below Fitchville Pond Dam in...
  Central New London County in southern Connecticut...

* Until 1245 PM EST.

* At 1040 AM EST, county dispatch reported the potential failure of
  Fitchville Pond Dam.

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding from the potential
           failure of Fitchville Pond Dam.

SOURCE...County dispatch.

IMPACT...Life threatening flash flooding is possible in areas
           downstream from the Fitchville Pond Dam along the
           Yantic River.

* The nearest downstream town is Bozrah, Fitchville, located 0.1
  mile.

He would need some chewing gum with the duct tape

Oh boy, hope they evacuated people.

Edited by clm
  • THUMBS UP 1

40 minutes ago, Tater said:

It isn't quite as consistent as further north, and some years are really bad (last year being one of the worst I've dealt with). However, usually I can tap in early to mid February and have sap run til early to mid March (with a few gaps where it is too cold or too warm). Last year I barely had a week where it ran (even though night temps were sometimes mid-20s, that couldn't refreeze a tree that was in the sunshine at 50 degrees the day before). My shaded trees ran much better since they didn't get so hot in the day. Normally sunny trees do better since they freeze/thaw quicker, but that doesn't apply when the tree is too warm to freeze. Another year I made syrup right up til the end of March (also very unusual), so it varies quite a bit.

Unfortunately my trees are 30 minutes away, and I only make 10-15 gallons a year, which barely covers our family of nine plus friends and extended family we share it with.

The 84 trees I just planted will hopefully eventually take care of the hour travel time to gather sap, plus then I can run vacuum and potentially double my yield over the gravity setup I have now. I hope to get 20-30 gallons of syrup per year from those new trees eventually, but that'll be two decades away (if I'm lucky and they grow fast).

I don't generally make any sugar, though I do make some maple candy every year. My operation isn't large enough to justify the equipment, plus I tap on land that isn't mine, so could potentially lose it at any time.

Factoring in travel expenses, I could buy syrup much cheaper than making it myself (and that's before factoring labor "costs"). Of course, not all choices are about dollars and cents. I console myself that other people spend a lot more than that on more questionable sources of fun.

I've helped my neighbor in the past gather sap from some acreage that they tap.  They tap with buckets and gather with two horses pulling a wagon or sleigh.  They try to do the process like it was being done 100 years ago.  After seeing how much hard work it is to make maple syrup, it should be sold for at least $200 a gallon.

I wasn't a big fan of maple syrup when I moved to VT.  However, after my first day of gathering sap, I found maple syrup to be one of the best tasting sweets I've ever had.  I even took my wife and two sons out to gather a couple of times so they would have a greater appreciation of maple syrup.

Good luck with your maple syrup operation.

• THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 1

1 hour ago, Uscg Ast said:

Incredibly so, when dry and fine. It builds up (much like saw dust or metal shavings) and it can lead to some large explosions. Sugar dust is treated (and is) as a pretty dangerous hazard when built up. 

Yes, look up YouTube videos of this happening. Quite interesting. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2