January 9-10, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Yup, one popped up just now.  I was admiring the palette of colors on the screen when it popped up and ruined it.

Richmond is about to get slammed

image.thumb.png.d610a659c54d3402bcf113528a70de01.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • SHOCKED 1

• Moderators

Wouldn't say the RAP nailed this from the individual locations, but the overall strength was about right with 50s and 60s. 69 was more than forecast.

Screenshot2024-01-09at5_49_08PM.thumb.png.ee4b2bbb7085d5280171bdc5eb817bec.png

• WIND 2

It is already up to 39 at Binghamton’s airport. It could climb as high as the low- 50s before the occluded front passes through. The precipitation has been spotty, and it is just as well because Binghamton & vicinity is less than an eighth of a century removed from the flooding associated with Tropical Storm Lee in 2011, which had come on the heels of Irene a week and a half before. I fear some hurricane- force winds in places.

• Moderators

There is something weird going on...the cold air seems to be winning the surface temperature battle right now. Temp down to 28F....not sure I've experienced this before....

• FLUSHED 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • SNOWMAN 2

At 8:45 pm we have heavy snow and 30 degrees.  The lowered the forecast from 2"-3" to less than an inch earlier, but it looks like we will top an inch shortly.  Wind has also picked up here and is coming out of the east after being calm most of today.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

IMBY it's raining hard. The wind is roaring over the ridges. OXC has 30mph gusts

You can see who cleaned out their tipper and who didn't. Snow pack is holding up ok.  It's only 40.  

Screenshot2024-01-09at7_06_09PM.thumb.png.6981af46e408196ab6653a62fa4af544.png

Edited by StretchCT
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

There is something weird going on...the cold air seems to be winning the surface temperature battle right now. Temp down to 28F....not sure I've experienced this before....

WAA finally winning out. Done prepping dinner and temps now up to 30F. Going to be pretty much impossible to measure because of the wind (my dog is a shit-show right now), but it's definitely a decent accumulation of snow/sleet out there.

Edited by telejunkie
  • SNOWMAN 2

• Meteorologist

Those rains were intense driving down to work. Tons of flooding and the winds just did not help the situation. At times the rain was so intense the highest setting couldn't keep up, almost like a summer time thunderstorm.

Highest wind we have recorded was 48mph at the airport probably get pretty similar on the backside winds.

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1