January 5-7, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

MesoscaleBanding

GFS trend out west. My guess is system ends up more southeast. We need that piece over Cali to speed up and round the base of the trough but its been doing the opposite

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh84_trend (1).gif

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, junior said:

GFS trend out west. My guess is system ends up more southeast. We need that piece over Cali to speed up and round the base of the trough but its been doing the opposite

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh84_trend (1).gif

Yep, looking slightly more progressive as the energy moves into Texas. I’ll let it play out but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more SE this run

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
Just now, MesoscaleBanding said:

On the bright side, I would much rather be on the NW fringe 5 days out. Plenty of time for things to swing back.

Like many, I always prefer the cold side.  ATM, it doesn't look like OH will be as fortunate for the next one.

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

On the bright side, I would much rather be on the NW fringe 5 days out. Plenty of time for things to swing back.

Agree, doesn't take much to have this jump NW let alone SE. OH still get some snow scrappage even from that run. The energy rounds the base quite fast just too late.

As many of you have said, being on the NW side of a storm a week out is not a bad thing. I lived in Baltimore for many years and can’t count how many times the track shifted NW within the last 72hrs

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, RobB said:

Still amazes me how models seem to be better at calling cutters from many hours away compared to other storm paths.

Right?? That Midwest Christmas week storm seemed locked in for 10+ days

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

10 minutes ago, mafa said:

As many of you have said, being on the NW side of a storm a week out is not a bad thing. I lived in Baltimore for many years and can’t count how many times the track shifted NW within the last 72hrs

Yep, I guarantee that cutter mid next week stays the exact same…

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 3

• Admin

I echo all of you. NW fringe is (typically) not a bad place to be, especially with a strengthening low. I think the system before this has a lot of sway. Whatever it does will shape how this one turns out.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Praying for you to, you get well, also praying for anyone else sick.

covid-19 hit me on Thanksgiving day, it was really bad.

Hoping the same for any that are sick. I had Covid in 21, luckily, it was mild though I couldn't taste food or smell for a few weeks. 

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

10 minutes ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Praying for you to, you get well, also praying for anyone else sick.

covid-19 hit me on Thanksgiving day, it was really bad.

Covid club here as well for the past 2 weeks, which wrecked Christmas.  Most symptoms are gone but still congested, don't have full taste/smell and also tired at times.  Hope everyone dealing with this or anything else feels better soon.

• SAD 1