January 8-10, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

snowlover2

3 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Not for the 18z/6z 

Ok. Yeah, I knew that the 18z/6z runs did not go out as far, but I was not 100% sure where they stopped. For reference, could you post the same time as your last image from the 12z? That should be the Hr. 150 image I believe?

11 hours ago, Hiramite said:

Here’s an early Low Party Tracker to establish a baseline.  I’ll probably wait 24hrs to do the next one then do twice a day when I’m available.

I’m playing around with a different format as putting the pressure on the map gets crowded.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

IMG_5660.jpeg

Have I been forgotten for the winter weather?

• THINKING 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist

The 12z and 18z cycles have been nightmare fuel for me. The movers are going to have a rough time on Monday if they're even able to come. 

18 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

The 12z and 18z cycles have been nightmare fuel for me. The movers are going to have a rough time on Monday if they're even able to come. 

So your being sent out with 2 farewell storms? Nice!

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

So your being sent out with 2 farewell storms? Nice!

It would be great if there wasn't the chance for it to really disrupt my move. I was really hoping the Monday and Friday systems would combine and hit on Saturday/Sunday when it started showing up in the long range so I wouldn't have to worry at all lol. 

2 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

It would be great if there wasn't the chance for it to really disrupt my move. I was really hoping the Monday and Friday systems would combine and hit on Saturday/Sunday when it started showing up in the long range so I wouldn't have to worry at all lol. 

That really sucks 

• Meteorologist
Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

That really sucks 

Yeah I don't want to stress too much but this would be the perfect storm to send to someone else lol. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Have I been forgotten for the winter weather?

I’m not sure what you mean, but I did think of you when putting together the Guess the Snowfall contest since you were a regular participant.

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:
Not only does North America have an impending deep
low, but there also is a simultaneous strong high pressure system
over the Quebec region that will likely play a major role in storm
track, further complicating the forecast.

Do you have a source for this?

1 hour ago, Grace said:

Correct!

1. Keep in mind BSR is not 1:1 correlation on systems but is great at identifying a system. I've been harping up potential for a big system for a while & then when SOI massive drop, indicative of big system, correlated for the same dates I knew a very impactful system was likely...just can't say via BSR how it will track. 

2. With that said, BSR is excellent on general 500mb. Notice the system is not forced due north. Maybe something noteworthy as models work out details. 

Thanks! Fun to see how it will compare to models. 

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

If nothing else that front end thump could be decent for me here in Indy

Yeah that is a possibility.  Not much cold air for this storm, but at this point it looks just cold enough on the front end with dynamic and evaporational cooling that Indy could at least start as snow.

If we had a stronger surface high... good God.  But we don't, as this thing is present in a surrounding pressure field that is not that high.  Not that it won't be breezy.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

1/4 0Z Low Party Tracker (LPT).

My observations as compared to yesterday’s 0Z run:

The track has shifted east slightly, with the Euro taking the biggest jump.  The track has also become a bit more amplified (N-S) IMO.

The Euro is much stronger, coming close to meeting “bomb” criteria. GDPS and GFS, no significant pressure change.

Even with different begin/end points, the tracks converge near Cairo IL.

Next LPT will be tomorrow AM. Then probably twice a day starting this weekend.

IMG_5668.jpeg

Yesterday's Tracker below.

image.png.08f28176c8066401fca880cd10cff22b.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Admin
6 hours ago, snowlover2 said:

8fb56ad6-244d-4071-8e53-bb3b8e643036.gif

sn10_024h-imp.conus.png

I'm missing out on the upcoming northeast event and in the snow doldrums. This is one of the few times a year the midwest storm is also my storm in Maine, where the low passes far to my west with enough cold for snow. I'm liking the early indications!

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

41 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

1/4 0Z Low Party Tracker (LPT).

My observations as compared to yesterday’s 0Z run:

The track has shifted east slightly, with the Euro taking the biggest jump.  The track has also become a bit more amplified (N-S) IMO.

The Euro is much stronger, coming close to meeting “bomb” criteria. GDPS and GFS, no significant pressure change.

Even with different begin/end points, the tracks converge near Cairo IL.

Next LPT will be tomorrow AM. Then probably twice a day starting this weekend.

IMG_5668.jpeg

Yesterday's Tracker below.

Quite a hook by the GFS!

• THUMBS UP 1