January 8-10, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

snowlover2

• Moderators

Here’s an early Low Party Tracker to establish a baseline.  I’ll probably wait 24hrs to do the next one then do twice a day when I’m available.

I’m playing around with a different format as putting the pressure on the map gets crowded.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

IMG_5660.jpeg

• LIKE 6
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 2

Just now, Hiramite said:

Here’s an early Low Party Tracker to establish a baseline.  I’ll probably wait 24hrs to do the next one then do twice a day when I’m available.

I’m playing around with a different format as putting the pressure on the map gets crowded.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

IMG_5660.jpeg

I'm digging this way of doing it! Much thanks!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

I hope we get a ton of rain if not snow.  We really need it.  My guess is that several of the Indiana and western OH people in the group may see a large dry slot.

hopefully you guys out west have better luck than we did with this current one. The difference is we started with a 995MB low transitioned to 1010, so you starting out with 975, maybe you'll get a 990 still 😄 

• Moderators

If anyone is interested in participating in the Guess the Snowfall contest for this weekend's storm along the EC, it can be found at the below link.

(If anyone is interested for a contest for this storm, let me know.)

https://www.wxsphere.com/topic/476-january-6-7-2024-guess-the-snowfall-contest/#comment-61903

• THANKS 1

13 minutes ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Is this scattered look to snow cover do to temperatures right around freezing and above?

temperatures are suspect for the weekend system and then our area with any type of front end hit before rain washes it out. But the main focus of the 2 storms are obviously to the east and west of the Ohio Valley from an accumulating snow perspective

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

8 hours ago, cperry29 said:

BSR for this timeframe (I think) @Grace  correct me if I’m wrong.

IMG_1716.gif

IMG_1717.gif

IMG_1718.gif

Correct!

1. Keep in mind BSR is not 1:1 correlation on systems but is great at identifying a system. I've been harping up potential for a big system for a while & then when SOI massive drop, indicative of big system, correlated for the same dates I knew a very impactful system was likely...just can't say via BSR how it will track. 

2. With that said, BSR is excellent on general 500mb. Notice the system is not forced due north. Maybe something noteworthy as models work out details. 

Edited by Grace