January 8-10, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

snowlover2

• Meteorologist

This system is just off the Aleutians and likely has very limited sampling if any at all. This makes the models unreliable, especially at day 6. I've seen models back off of storms when this happens. We may get some limited sampling as the storm moves along the Aleutians tomorrow, but otherwise we'll need to wait until that main energy reaches Juneau on Friday evening. Also, the GFS shows smaller pieces of energy breaking off from the storm out ahead of the main energy and I think this is limiting the potential some. If some of that energy stays together we're looking at a big storm for someone I think. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

12z EPS has the slp in E OH/ W PA 977mb but temps are torchy until you get into the ccb... even then its pasty few inches per snow depth maps.

us_model-en_modez_2024010212_186_35_149_m0.png

Edited by junior

I am good with not being on the snowy side of this if it will be a wound up storm to track, especially if it can usher cold air in. These tend to be toned down as we approach game time, though. 

• LIKE 1

• Admin
6 hours ago, RobB said:

I always like the Canadian model better as it tends to be too cold compared to other models. Brings hope 😁

You sadistic MFer. If I drank coffee, I would've spit it out at the screen laughing.

This made my day.

• LAUGH 4

• Admin

I keep trying to tell myself that I said things were going to be in transition until mid-January and that any snow in-between now and then was a bonus. It's harder than I thought to watch freaking 970-980 bombs cut just to my West. lol.

• THUMBS UP 1