January 8-10, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

snowlover2

Columbus and Dayton both already set daily rainfall records and its only 5:30 haha, radar shows this one (record) will go untouched for quite some time

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Columbus and Dayton both already set daily rainfall records and its only 5:30 haha, radar shows this one (record) will go untouched for quite some time

#winning

• LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • MELTING 2

Snow is slow to accumulate here in St. Louis, not surprisingly. They claim that the window of opportunity for this storm will close by 9 tonight. Time is running out. The temperature has stalled at 36 at Lambert Field. We have had a fair amount of precipitation from this two-part event, but it has been mostly cold rain or white rain. The bottom line: it still looks like an upstate New York late November here.

Wound up with around 4" of snow from today's WSW. Seemed to compact and melt so looks more like 3". Models depicted along with NWS forecasts of 4-9" so on the low end. Iowa City IA with 13" so they definitely cashed in west of here. 

• LIKE 1

6 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

@Cary67 this looks to be your power hour, those returns off lake MI look great

It ripped for awhile mid afternoon but temps were just too warm for alot of this event. On the low end of the model predictions or the NWS forecasts for our area. Looks like about 3-4" on the ground with melting occurring during snowfall.

• LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

It ripped for awhile mid afternoon but temps were just too warm for alot of this event. On the low end of the model predictions or the NWS forecasts for our area. Looks like about 3-4" on the ground with melting occurring during snowfall.

That's crazy to think about, in my head expectations for a 980MB low were alot greater. Goes to show not all storms are created equal, regardless of millibars

• THUMBS UP 2

People already complaining that the antecedent air mass and warm surface temps will be in place again for the weekend storm. 850 thermal poking way north again so precip issues by lake and even metro Chicago will be problematic

7 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

That's crazy to think about, in my head expectations for a 980MB low were alot greater. Goes to show not all storms are created equal, regardless of millibars

Especially without a nice infusion of arctic air. Just so meh without on winter side. Obviously more cold toward Iowa. 

• THUMBS UP 2

7 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I think the severe thunderstorms in the southeast robbed moisture from the cold sector and may have also triggered a last minute wobble to the south. 

I got just over an inch of snow from this storm. It is among the least impressive winter storm warnings of my life.

• LAUGH 1

• Moderators

Top 10 snows so far for this system.

Iowa the winner as @RobB alludes to.

Pivotal's Snow Obs map last updated as of 6PM last night so not posting...yet.  (FWIW, I don't know how it gets that data but often times, to me, it doesn't match up well with actual Obs.)

image.thumb.png.4fc120310064a8d8bf71cbbe1b485165.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1

69 MPH gust reported in Burlington. Wow!

Winds were ferocious all night long. Kept the dog up all night. They have basically subsided to almost nothing at this time.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/TextProduct?product=pnsbtv&id=234c7dbb-f72f-490f-9761-c18638149f93&fbclid=iwar18kjjv34kbsmq_wbynbcau03p0pq2ssssyw6njreft7oc0xssepuk5f9e_aem_abakivsuarrasae5v4tyuau9qjj2ibxzidwkqujkascgopk-q9rvl3uekh6_tqrr9ww

IMG_0325.jpeg

Edited by ZLearned
  • SHOCKED 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, ZLearned said:

69 MPH gust reported in Burlington. Wow!

Winds were ferocious all night long. Kept the dog up all night. They have basically subsided to almost nothing at this time.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/TextProduct?product=pnsbtv&id=234c7dbb-f72f-490f-9761-c18638149f93&fbclid=iwar18kjjv34kbsmq_wbynbcau03p0pq2ssssyw6njreft7oc0xssepuk5f9e_aem_abakivsuarrasae5v4tyuau9qjj2ibxzidwkqujkascgopk-q9rvl3uekh6_tqrr9ww

IMG_0325.jpeg

Wow.          (I don't your intent, but you might want to post this in the NE thread as well.)

42 minutes ago, Grace said:

I'm not sure the impact but this is a big shift in one run from the majority of members in 12z EPS

trend-epsens-2024011012-f054.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.gif

Might be wrong thread? But that’s significant 2 days out? 🤔

pretty under whelming as a whole, for a record breaking storm. If you would've told me in November that someone is getting a sub 980 LP in mid January I would've said that its going to be a historic blizzard for the ages. 

Not so much, without phasing its tough beans, warm air demolished totals and I'm not sure B-warnings were even considered anywhere near where the LP peaked out

image.thumb.png.7bc2992ea8d1ccbd9fb66aef84cd470f.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45