January 8-10, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

snowlover2

1 minute ago, JayPSU said:

Hmmm, I’ll be honest, I kinda gave up on this one and haven’t been paying attention…are those showing front end, or backend snows?

From IL through OH it's all a variation of front and backside snow showers. Areas west of that is all snow

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

no doing the whole front end/back end separation here so keep that in mind for expectations in the rainy areas

image.thumb.png.99a2978fc6b65dfa679416e93f185e3d.png

Warm air will win out with this one in marginal areas because it always does. 😝

4 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

Warm air will win out with this one in marginal areas because it always does. 😝

I've never been a fan of front end hits due to the rain washing it away within hours, but does look like surface cold air will hang on longer than models initially anticipated before the monsoon rains

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 1

maybe someone else who understands LES better can answer this but why wouldnt this be a setup where the lakes arent absolutely ripping, this would seem to me the perfect setup for lake MI as the low is coming down with fierce NW-SE winds

image.thumb.png.e126a93d82a625e1d71d506057d388da.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

there are dozens of both GEFS and EPS members which show 2-4'' of front end here, could be low resolution issues, but the 00z EPS actually has a mean of 3'' here purely front end

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

33 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

GFS has been locked in on this bad boy, no changes at all except that streamer on the northside of Chicago has been sinking south a little

434d17df-97ea-45b6-b15c-40c074bbcdcc.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_fh36_trend.gif

I recall GFS performing well last winter, and think it was early to the party for the 5-7 storm, too, right?  Is GFS going to be the one leading the charge this winter?

It looks like I’m going to have to get the dog up earlier tomorrow morning for us to appreciate the 1-3” before it gets washed away later. But this storm will be the most the puppy has seen since we’ve got him and that makes it worth the washout.

For an El Niño winter, it sure is starting off wetter than I had expected. 

6 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Will resuscitate this thread briefly. Should receive a front end thump later this evening of 1-2". Best areas remain further south for heavier accums. Main event deformation band will swing through Tue morning-afternoon. Hi res models indicate even far NW burbs of Chicago could be dry slotted and go to drizzle or rain before late switch to snow. Big winners should be Dubuque to Madison WI line. Hope for 3-4" total. Under WWA tonight and WSW for tomorrow. WSW probably issued in case a wobble SE brings heavier snow band back in play.

Editing: 12Z HRRR and most globals have ticked back SE a bit. Bringing NW burbs into play for heavier totals

20 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Editing: 12Z HRRR and most globals have ticked back SE a bit. Bringing NW burbs into play for heavier totals

Good luck there.

Don't remember if I posted a call here, but at another board I went with 3-4" for mby, majority on the front end.  Been some model flailing around with handling that front end snow but all in all, I still like that call for here.  Not gonna actually have that on the ground by the end of course as there will be plenty of melting.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Good luck there.

Don't remember if I posted a call here, but at another board I went with 3-4" for mby, majority on the front end.  Been some model flailing around with handling that front end snow but all in all, I still like that call for here.  Not gonna actually have that on the ground by the end of course as there will be plenty of melting.

Thx. Haven't fired up the blower much at all the last two years. Will see if it still works. Hoping for 6-8" 

2 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Thx. Haven't fired up the blower much at all the last two years. Will see if it still works. Hoping for 6-8" 

I used mine once last winter - 12/22.  It is in good working order though and will hopefully be put to use this weekend.   

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I used mine once last winter - 12/22.  It is in good working order though and will hopefully be put to use this weekend.   

Would favor your position for the weekend storm with more cold air available. 

4 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Would favor your position for the weekend storm with more cold air available. 

Would be lying if I said I'm not starting to get just a little excited.  Will have to watch track though as farther west could wrap in enough warm air to make it concrete snow for a while.

• LIKE 1

DTX gonna DTX....

Looks like DTX isn't really buying into the burst of heavy snow out in front of this. They've lowered projected totals to basically 1-4" for most of their forecast area. 

Edited by MidMichiganWx