January 8-10, 2024 | Winter Storm Potential

snowlover2

1 hour ago, Organicforecasting said:

Oh how I miss the days of more people outside of Ohio in the forums! On a side note...

M-I-Z!!!!

image.gif.f2be9af5c5ae8b2efc929003bfe47576.gif

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

giphy.gif

Edited by MidMichiganWx
  • LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 5

00z GFS looking similar to 18z. Slowly starting to give up on this winter. I think without the snow cover we’re normally accustomed to in the north we can’t get the cold we need south when storms are tracking in. This will also more than likely modify any arctic air behind systems. I hate to give up on winter in January but I think El Niño won this season.

• LIKE 1

31 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

00z GFS looking similar to 18z. Slowly starting to give up on this winter. I think without the snow cover we’re normally accustomed to in the north we can’t get the cold we need south when storms are tracking in. This will also more than likely modify any arctic air behind systems. I hate to give up on winter in January but I think El Niño won this season.

I had said last month that this will be the year without any snow days. Four systems, and they all are a bust for NWOH/SEMI in January. 

• LIKE 1

I wouldn't be giving up on winter in January. I know none of you truly are. 

The active pattern rolls on - MJO loads up for late Jan and early Feb (at the very least) to come around to some serious cold and such. 

Happy New Year from the MidAtl. - UTS2.0

• LIKE 5

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

1/5 0Z Low Party Tracker (LPT):

My observations as compared to yesterday’s 0Z run:

Generally speaking the tracks are creeping east, with the GFS holding its ground. (The Ukie has been added to the LPT.)

All models go sub 980 somewhere along their path. 

My map is technically correct as there is no “blue H” NW of the low. Sigh.

Since we are approaching “moving day” for both the models and @Ingyball, I’ll put out a 12Z LPT after the Euro today.

IMG_5673.jpeg

Yesterday's LPT in quotes...

image.png.f4d0de20cf9c65c438319c7b369b2fbd.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

Just going off my memories here so don't hold me to this, but it seems like over the years on the models these storms start off west, trend east for a bit and then shift back north and west.  I could just be remembering storms that impacted me and forgetting the ones that didn't follow that pattern though. 

• THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, WeatherJim said:

Just going off my memories here so don't hold me to this, but it seems like over the years on the models these storms start off west, trend east for a bit and then shift back north and west.  I could just be remembering storms that impacted me and forgetting the ones that didn't follow that pattern though. 

Happens often in central Ohio. It’s a habit of looking for that rain/snow line once it shifts back north and west. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

This storm is just off the coast of SE Alaska (Juneau) so we should get some sampling at 00z at a minimum and definitely by 12z Saturday. The trend has been my friend so far, but I am in prime northwest shift real-estate and I'm really hoping that that doesn't happen.   

• LIKE 1