January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

Random question .. for those when using a laptop/PC and you go to select an emoji, is it super sensitive to you going off the bar and disappearing?  Sometimes it takes me 4 or 5 tries to get an emoji on the far-left side lol  No issues on phone, just laptop.

• SHOCKED 1
  • THUMBS UP 4

Just now, JDClapper said:

Random question .. for those when using a laptop/PC and you go to select an emoji, is it super sensitive to you going off the bar and disappearing?  Sometimes it takes me 4 or 5 tries to get an emoji on the far-left side lol  No issues on phone, just laptop.

No such issues here tbh - the only issue I have with a laptop is that Mrs UTS gets bothered by the light that comes from it when I sneak it into bed to see the overnight Euro. I tried covering with a blankey but she still notices and gets mad. 

Women - geez 

• LAUGH 2

Flying from Florida to Newark this morning. Landing at 12. Wondering if the pilot goes around or flies right through this thing. I’ll give you guys real time obs from the sky 🤣

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

2 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

yeah... u gotta slide your finger/mouse just properly not to go off the large emote selection we have. Lol

• &$!#% 1

Just now, GregRups said:

Flying from Florida to Newark this morning. Landing at 12. Wondering if the pilot goes around or flies right through this thing. I’ll give you guys real time obs from the sky 🤣

Have fun with the turbulence. One time coming back from a conference in FL, we hit some really hard turbulence over SC cuza a storm we tried to slip past. The coworkers I was with got sick even. 

• YUCK 1

5 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

@HVSNOWSTORM I was thinking about you yesterday, didn't recall seeing much posts from you recently!  Good luck tonight, looking good!

Yeah I've been super busy get my trucks plows ready and salters running. Been super consuming my time but ready to go. Finally a good all snow event. Good luck bro.

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

No such issues here tbh - the only issue I have with a laptop is that Mrs UTS gets bothered by the light that comes from it when I sneak it into bed to see the overnight Euro. I tried covering with a blankey but she still notices and gets mad. 

Women - geez 

lol  a blankey

Think I found a trick, when it pops up, right click .. seems to hold it while I shake my mouse over there like I'm driving on a dirt road in the PA mountains, then I can click it no problem.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Whoa GFS end of run, throwing red meat around a historical time pd of 1/22 

Find someone that has LUCK for SNOW to make the thread lol 
image.thumb.png.046d28a13dfcf65e07523a8c156aac50.png

• LIKE 3

CTP with a banger discussion this morning.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/... Temps have leveled off and even risen some in spots as the clouds have invaded. They will thicken and lower through the morning. As early as sunrise, some flurries may be had over the SWrn half of the area, but the accumulating snow should hold off until late AM in the SW. The strong shortwave lifting northeast on the upper flow will help drive a significant surge in moisture and generate strong forcing. The model soundings continue to play out a scenario where the favorable DGZ is in mid-cloud with plenty of moisture to fall through on it`s way to the ground. SLRs range from only 6-8:1 in the south to 15:1 in the north at the onset of precip. So, the snow will be a wet one, especially south of I-80 and along and east of Rte 15. The temps at the sfc will inch up just slightly through the morning, then drop, perhaps temporarily, a few degs when the snow/precip starts. Timing still as was expected for many cycles, now.

The most significant change was for the Laurels where the Advy was upgraded to a warning...just by adding an inch to the fcst there. A little worried that the very low SLRs will not get them to a widespread 6". But, collab with PBZ and LWX, and a thought that the elevations should be good for just a little more snow, led to the decision to upgrade there. Thought was also given to extending the warning for Cambria and Somerset into Sunday instead of ending it in the evening (the prev advy had been valid until 10PM). The upslope flow and still-good moisture will create a couple more inches of snow for them later tonight and into Sunday, too. However, we decided to allow the later shifts to ponder this possibility further.

Temps still look to get into the m30s in the SE. A very small (<=1") increase in snow totals has been made over a large portion of the area, but necessitated no further changes to the going WWAs. York and Lancaster are still expected to turn to plain rain in the evening as warm air flows in aloft and at the sfc. Some mix or even a turn to just rain is possible between Rte 30 and I-81, but generally late. Still expecting mainly/all snow for places along and north of Blue Mtn.

The forcing maximizes along and ahead of the upper trough, but the speed of the upper flow (100-150kts!) will keep this area of best forcing overhead for only 4-6hrs. Banded precip due to symmetric instability could make snow rates of 1-2" for much of that time in the aftn and early evening. &&

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/... The surface low will push off the Mid Atlantic coast this evening. However, a trailing inverted surface trough and abundant low/mid level moisture, combined with the passage of an upper level shortwave, should produce lingering light precipitation into Sunday AM. Model soundings indicate cloud top temps will only be around -8C, so expect either patchy very light snow or fzdz over much of the area, with patchy drizzle where temps remain above freezing over the Lower Susq Valley. While the liquid/drizzle may be falling into sub-freezing locations, the snow on the ground/objects and already plow/treated roads should impact travel little if any at all. Any ice accretions will be just 1 or 2 hundreths, and would mainly be S of Rte 22.

Edited by JDClapper
  • LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

Morning team!

Long time lurker going back to AccuWeather. Appreciate the 99 pages of commentary over the past week. I get the privilege of driving from the Jersey side of Philly to Denville NJ and back. The turnpike is going to be a blast! Should be home by dinner but it's gonna be a mess. 

Lastly, although it's been a wild snow draught, I've always enjoyed the threats of snow and forum banter - learned a little bit over the years. Our time will come in Philly; I just know it.

• LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

Great turnout on the "Guess the Snow" game....21 participants!!  Thank you.

Results will be ready Monday AM.  Remember that the contest is only for the 6th and 7th, even though there may be a bit more snow after midnight for our international folks up in ME.

Good luck on cashing in on this storm.

• LIKE 4
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 2

13 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Have fun with the turbulence. One time coming back from a conference in FL, we hit some really hard turbulence over SC cuza a storm we tried to slip past. The coworkers I was with got sick even. 

Not looking forward to it in row 36

• MELTING 1

Guess I should try to find our snow shovels if I expect Mrs UTS to clean this up. 

Don't worry, she loves doing it - says it just replaces her cardio work out for the day. 

The snow thrower is lubed and ready to go but I never did do Lucc's modification to it and I'm afraid the wet nature of it will clog too easily. 

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Guess I should try to find our snow shovels if I expect Mrs UTS to clean this up. 

Don't worry, she loves doing it - says it just replaces her cardio work out for the day. 

The snow thrower is lubed and ready to go but I never did do Lucc's modification to it and I'm afraid the wet nature of it will clog too easily. 

Have you brought out the shrine yet?

• LOVE 1

38 minutes ago, Rush said:

Going to be right on the rain/snow line for this event.  Hope to see 2-3" before a change over, but have a feeling I'll be looking at snow about 2 miles to my west.  

Alexa says I am getting 2.83".  Very exact.  Going to trust her.  This will end a 628 day snowless drought.   We are 2,905 days since a snowstorm that didn't end as sleet.

My wife just ok'ed selling you land with a buildable lot at 1900'. I said @Rush needs out of the valley. 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, Organicforecasting said:

Have you brought out the shrine yet?

This much I'll say

If we get over 10" it's handy and available - I already displayed my new swim wear

20240104_141425.jpg

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • FACEPALM 1
  • LOVE 1

7 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

What’s the modification you speak of? 

Good morning!

Not sure why Lehigh and Northampton counties in PA are WWA. Think we’ll get to warning criteria in the end but I don’t push that button. Seen this before and brings back memories of them catching up. 

Edited by Rickrd
  • LIKE 1