January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Admin

I'm really torn whether getting snow here helps or not for the next one. More snow = more CAD = inversion = less wind.  But it also increases flooding concerns.

• LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I'm really torn whether getting snow here helps or not for the next one. More snow = more CAD = inversion = less wind.  But it also increases flooding concerns.

MJ always looking at the bigger picture... yes sir. 😉

• LIKE 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Blizz said:

MJ always looking at the bigger picture... yes sir. 😉

This could likely benefit those to my south, but the effects of more dry cold here probably won't translate to that right on the nose if the TROWAL. local effects and precip rates probably matter way more there.

Best pressure falls on the SC/GA border.

Edit: it's actually not, there's some -4mb along the blue ridge

Screenshot_20240106-051755.thumb.png.c77bb4cbc4102db750ddecfbfd2f300b.png

You can almost see a little swirl in shortwave IR right there.

cira-rammb-slider---goes-16---conus---band_07-opacity-100---20240106052615-20240106100115.thumb.gif.55736b5d4b23dc44c3aa522a8efc9437.gif

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

24.5F/ W: Clm/ Ptly Cloudy

The final vestiges of a waning crescent moon ever so slightly illuminates the BKN cloud deck. The front yard flood light reflect tiny diamonds of frost out on the lawn. 

METAR mapping shows convection in N Florida - a mini version of the JAX rule. But for even colder HP overhead, likely would enhance an already slightly increasing snowfall forecast along the spine of the Apps. 

Payday gang. Glad to be a small part of it. image.thumb.png.e942d90593061f79c5428952a10f14de.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 6

As MJ noted, this is a double edged sword with the trailing system being so wet on top of it 

The winds on Tuesday (sorry off topic yet relevant) will have no problem conspiring with the snow melt from this event and the rainfall from the next, to topple trees. For my zone, an East wind gusting to 40+ at times, will hit my BY in a Venturi Effect of sorts as the ridge and valley configuration constrict the areal path it must take along the way. Thus, 30-40 mph gusts will accelerate in response to the "squeeze play"

For now will enjoy the heavy wet and white and not worry about those things right now - after all, tomorrow is another day. 

• LIKE 3

9 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The final vestiges of a waning gibbous moon ever so slightly illuminates the BKN cloud deck. The front yard flood light reflect tiny diamonds of frost out on the lawn. 

METAR mapping shows convection in N Florida - a mini version of the JAX rule. But for even colder HP overhead, likely would enhance an already slightly increasing snowfall forecast along the spine of the Apps. 

Payday gang. Glad to be a small part of it. image.thumb.png.e942d90593061f79c5428952a10f14de.png

I can't believe we have UTC back, let's gooooo!!! Good morning btw 😉

• LIKE 1

• Admin

@Blizz

Yeah, I haven't been able to find how to enable members to delete. Moderators and admin can though.  You did the right thing by hiding it, I generally try to delete them when I see hidden double or mistake posts.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The final vestiges of a waning crescent moon ever so slightly illuminates the BKN cloud deck. The front yard flood light reflect tiny diamonds of frost out on the lawn. 

That site has a neat cross section tool that unfortunately isn't working for me right now. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

No but i'm working on it.

Oh wait --- you said "they woke up..."

NVM

What happend to drawing the rivers from CTP????? 

8 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I hope you didn't wake up Connie by being up so early

'Port, the new snow capitol of PA 

I don't think so.. but the cats fighting doesn't help. lol

Morning coffee and weather analysis with my nerd buds.  What could be better on a Saturday morning!

• SHOCKED 1
  • LAUGH 2

Going to be right on the rain/snow line for this event.  Hope to see 2-3" before a change over, but have a feeling I'll be looking at snow about 2 miles to my west.  

Alexa says I am getting 2.83".  Very exact.  Going to trust her.  This will end a 628 day snowless drought.   We are 2,905 days since a snowstorm that didn't end as sleet.

Edited by Rush
  • LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Looks like a little leading-edge band around PITT although I didn't see any reports on mPing yet .. but the guts and glory is half way into WV. now.

png1.png

I always forget about mPing, such a great tool for us too.

850s look like they are holding on well in WV. On par, maybe even a touch warm near the DelMarVa, but that area must always struggle with an easterly fetch.

Screenshot_20240106-060757.png

nam-hires_us-ne_005_850_temp_ht.gif

• LIKE 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Rush said:

Going to be right on the rain/snow line for this event.  Hope to see 2-3" before a change over, but have a feeling I'll be looking at snow about 2 miles to my west.  

Alexa says I am getting 2.83".  Very exact.  Going to trust her.

My sister knows very little about the weather, she calls me for her totals. 🤓

• MELTING 1