January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Does anyone have any updated real time comparisons of modeled positions vs. where the low actually is? 

I think SPC Meso analysis (did t trust this crowd to abbreviate analysis) uses RAP or HRRR.  But you have to compare to globals only every 3 or 6 hours. Here’s the 18z RAP compared to every other model on Pivotal.

IMG_1645.thumb.jpeg.2fae3cf24ee8c99b1409d3f85555b5c5.jpeg

models-2024010518-f000.sfcwind_mslp.conus.gif.fd2422c4420fab7d8da2adb9d0dfa950.gif

Edited by StretchCT
Added three dupes
  • LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

7 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

oops had to post realtime as well. image.thumb.png.9aa76376c1da0df3c19afba7b41f2960.png

Putting all 7 if those up is solid gold. I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in end model outputs, and forgot to do real time vs. modeled - all the way through the storm. AND, look at the different starting points in the gulf. Little bit  of a difference, no?

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

I don't think these have been posted yet, besides I wanted to mention get your guesses in by midnight tonight for the Snowfall contest and revisions are also welcome up until that time.

image.thumb.png.dc41d00fb1ac29b5127e04583d2002be.pngimage.thumb.png.41c8e793b69ac65a37142f75dc280d15.png

• THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

Albany NY just updated

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM SATURDAY TO 7 PM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10
  inches. Higher amounts of around 12 inches are possible in the
  southern Green Mountains.

* WHERE...Mohawk and Schoharie Valleys, Capital Region and
  southern Vermont.

* WHEN...From 7 PM Saturday to 7 PM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall rates may be close to one inch per
  hour at times for Saturday evening into early Sunday morning.

• LIKE 4

1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Putting all 7 if those up is solid gold. I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in end model outputs, and forgot to do real time vs. modeled - all the way through the storm. AND, look at the different starting points in the gulf. Little bit  of a difference, no?

Yes sir. Doorman taught me that 😉 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Imagine if we could get him in back here. Of course, i would have to Fed Ex some of my meds to MJ 😀😀

MJ is too young for meds!  
if you got Doorman here we’d have to hire an interpreter. 

Edited by StretchCT
  • LAUGH 5

2 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Come on! You’re cracking me up in the airport and the other travelers are getting nervous 😬 

Only getting nervous? I'll try harder. Until you have 5 seats between you in all directions we haven't done our job. Look at the bright side though, you'll be more comfortable and safer from children coughing and sneezing on you. 

BTW. I really think Pittsburgh is getting 2-4.....ohhh there's the WWA...

"...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 10 PM EST SATURDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 2 and 5 inches. * WHERE...Portions of northwest and western Pennsylvania. * WHEN...From 7 AM to 10 PM EST Saturday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Slow down and use caution while traveling. The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1. Please report snow or ice accumulations by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh."

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

So elevation dependent those lollipops. Did the 50/50 give way or something that cold has retreated NE a bit? It was thread the needle though, (snow startved) beggers can't be choosers I guess:
image.thumb.png.84230f079dd32d6525e200f060cc967a.png

My town in Morris County, NJ has been right on the cutoff line on almost every model.  Big snow or nothing, preparing for disappointment but hoping for something.  🤞

03515477-11ec-4300-8d7a-425968787300_text.gif

Edited by NJ Snowman
  • LIKE 1
  • SKEPTICAL 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

They aren’t allowed to sell gum anymore at MCO, which is crazy since it helps with popping ears and anxiety.  Store said people were sticking it everywhere. 

however they sell taffy, which I can also stick everywhere.  If I’m offline a bit, I’m doing some “tagging” down here. 

• LAUGH 2