January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

Winter Storm Warning just issued by Sterling. 3-6".  I have a feeling this is going to bust hard anywhere below 1000' down here.  Hoping to get enough for sledding tomorrow afternoon.

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Meteorologist
15 minutes ago, TLChip said:

Towels are gonna be throw today. Maybe even mine 🤣

lol been feeling I was on that cutoff line well before it started to show just the other day. There is a chance the models are overdoing this warmth a bit too much but probably not for down my way at least. Seems to be the routine of late where we get at least an inch of snow and then we switch while literally 20-30miles NW gets slammed.

1 minute ago, Penn State said:

I don't know why I just thought about this.. but thinking about members that I miss.. Anyone know about paletitsnow? or AccuChris? Enjoyed their commentary. 

Haven't seen accuchris in a long while. 

Greeting:  You have been selected to participate in the NWS department of the Dept. of Labor Window Watch.  Nice to see noghosts from the past.  Warzone from Carlisle, PA.  In the past day or two some euro posts from the prognostivaricators have shown heavy bands moving from Carlisle due south to Boiling Springs, PA. Saturday afternoon.  I flashed back to the '96 thing where the last non-predicted 8 hours blew sideways bands piling out another foot on the way out.  Tomorrow's storm doesn't have that strength, but it comes with having to pay attention to the placement and direction of the coastal low.  80 miles, or even 40 miles west could affect snow totals.  You would have to be in a plane with mets and equipment flying through the low to actually find out where it is headed.  I had a recording session tomorrow booked at 2pm so I bagged it.  Lets be careful out there - Phil Esterhaus, NYPD Blue.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, Penn State said:

I don't know why I just thought about this.. but thinking about members that I miss.. Anyone know about paletitsnow? or AccuChris? Enjoyed their commentary. 

Could be terribly wrong but I believe they chose to stay 🤷‍♂️

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, Rush said:

Winter Storm Warning just issued by Sterling. 3-6".  I have a feeling this is going to bust hard anywhere below 1000' down here.  Hoping to get enough for sledding tomorrow afternoon.

Strange they finally added my county to the advisory area for ice.   but a snow hole continues on north. 

image.png.24d985d6ccacc55fa9853d44fdf5d3e2.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MDBlueridge said:

I love the 3K. Not for precip output or strength. But since it came out it has nailed precip types and temps down here in central apps above 1500-2000'. It ramps up output everyday 12z/00z and dulls down off hour runs. euro/gfs/ukmet etc are terrible down here for any meso details even though euro is hi-rez it stinks here for precip output and temps. 

Old Pokety Poke has sold me on the RGEM and I am stunned how it staying stable run after run. They're definitely the two I use inside 60. What works here doesn't seem to work for others and I believe @telejunkie has said how bad the 3k stinks up his way in Canada. I believe its because the 3k doesn't like how he says the word "about" 

Stupid 3k...

Actually it's gotten a lot better dont cha know. Seemed like in years past, it would show like 36" for mountain summits around here while valley's got like 2" for a storm like this. As I would ramble on about it (mostly to myself), its treated the mountains in these parts like the Himalayas eh. There are definite qpf shadows...but 3k took them to another level.

Alright, I'm about to head out to get some coffee at Tim Hortons...you can Venmo me some loonies if  you want something.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
Just now, lvnbraves said:

@so_whats_happening Are you the Sparrows Point location from old Accu?  There was someone that was right around the corner from me (we've since moved a couple miles north).  

The towel here was thrown in long ago.  Hoping to see a few flakes in Bmore.  *sigh*

Nah I forget who that was. I do work at Baltimore Airport though but live in Lancaster.

• Social Media Crew
1 minute ago, telejunkie said:

Stupid 3k...

Actually it's gotten a lot better dont cha know. Seemed like in years past, it would show like 36" for mountain summits around here while valley's got like 2" for a storm like this. As I would ramble on about it (mostly to myself), its treated the mountains in these parts like the Himalayas eh. There are definite qpf shadows...but 3k took them to another level.

Alright, I'm about to head out to get some coffee at Tim Hortons...you can Venmo me some loonies if  you want something.

Tim Hortons! I was there once when we visited Toronto. 

• LIKE 1

• Social Media Crew

REGM consistency continues.. hits the same spot over and over, and it's a bit colder than current modeling. Don't want to model hug.. but I like it! 

• LIKE 2

3 minutes ago, Penn State said:

REGM consistency continues.. hits the same spot over and over, and it's a bit colder than current modeling. Don't want to model hug.. but I like it! 

Its been insanely consistent 

17 minutes ago, Penn State said:

Always loved palet*** screen name. 😁

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

speaking of consistency....SREF providing shocking precision over the last 4 runs at my closest station (doesn't make it accurate though)...

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 10.10.39 AM.png

19 minutes ago, Penn State said:

AccuChris was still posting on WxDisco the last I saw, sometime last year.  Don’t remember seeing pale tits

• LAUGH 2

2 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

IMG_0057.png

While every storm is different. Living in my area for 35+ years. This looks like gold. It really shows the climatology differences in NJ almost to a T and I can see these amounts happening as this setup has happened so many times and these are the amounts with a 995mb storm with this track.

Just now, Penn State said:

Are the RGEM and RDPS the same thing? 

I believe so.  GDPS is the Global (GEM) and RDPS is the Regional (RGEM)

Unless I have been mistaken all this time which is possible 😄

• LIKE 2

1 minute ago, Penn State said:

Are the RGEM and RDPS the same thing? 

Here's the GEM / GDPS description

The Global Deterministic Prediction System (GDPS) is a coupled atmosphere (GEM), ocean and sea ice (NEMO-CICE) deterministic numerical weather prediction model.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1