January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

Just now, Lazman said:

Just thinking, I've been lurking and posting with a LOT of you since back on the old AccuWeather Forum. That's gotta be a good 20 years or so, no? WOW...... We're OLD. 

Yes for sure.  I forget what storm it was, but it’s the one that started it all for me.  Was either March of 01 or Xmas 2002.  Forget which one for accuweather 

• LOVE 2

6 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

We still have a good 40 hours of surprises yet with this.  That’s a good 5-6 model runs yet.   Curious how this is going to break my heart.  

Yeh it's seems sooner since this has been tracked closely for awhile. Need to temper my hrrr expectations for a bit though it does look legit at this range for a change

• Social Media Crew
Just now, JDClapper said:

I like how the snow is reaching farther south these latest runs .. started to feel like it was slipping away to SNE .. but encouraging trends this evening back this way for us.

Agree 100%.. IMO, totals may trend higher into the event. Some of those areas that are in the right snow bands are going to rip. Wouldn’t surprise me to see some 12-16” lollipops floating around Saturday night. 

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 1

Just now, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

I get it. That cutoff seemed personal.  I remember the PV years that caused permanent brain damage for me with the cutoffs just to the south, but 2016 was almost beyond belief. And please don't pull out that 30 mile grid you keep. Let it go man. You're at the 7 year statute of limitations 😁

IMG_0054.jpeg

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • YUCK 1

2 minutes ago, Penn State said:

GFS finally looks like other guidance.. it’s all coming together. Now just to hold everything in place for like 48 hours lol IMG_0688.thumb.png.9ed5987fd99da151ea624cc0c2ec69bd.png

That’s going to be the tough part. If it it doesn’t pan out, we get a lot of this!

IMG_8467.gif

• LAUGH 4
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, MaineJay said:

I'm not sure it's worth rehashing the who what why and where if how we all came to be here.  If you all knew how stressful it really was for us, you'd understand how we prefer to move on and let others be.  

The past is the past, and the last couple days have been so encouraging.  We do operate in the generosity of our members, and are working towards have non-profit status making donations tax deductible.

Appreciate all the kind words, but let's keep it positive about what we are doing here.  We don't need to tear anyone down to raise us up 

Mea Culpa for that. 

• LIKE 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

That’s going to be the tough part. If it it doesn’t pan out, we get a lot of this!

IMG_8467.gif

Except that in our case, we didn't choose the wet stuff. The wet stuff keeps choosing us.

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

• Social Media Crew
1 minute ago, Rickrd said:

IMG_8467.gif

I really sense this is an appetizer.. couple cutters after this, but I’ve got a feeling we have an all-time great coming in the pipeline. No science.. just intuition tells me it’s coming. If it doesn’t happen, I’ll fall in line with the other penguins there lol 

• LIKE 1

12 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Planetmaster. 😄 

Let's be honest, that dude is unstable.

His posts were rant like and he would constantly be going. Off about how someone was racist and this and that.  It's like dude, I'm hear to talk about snow.  Keep this personal shit in dms or something.

That and the constant begging for money turned me off entirely.  Seems like every month the server was goong to shutdown meanwhile it seemed like thousands had poured in.  Maybe dude doesnt know how to manage AWS 

• LIKE 2

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Lazman said:

Just thinking, I've been lurking and posting with a LOT of you since back on the old AccuWeather Forum. That's gotta be a good 20 years or so, no? WOW...... We're OLD. 

Valentines Day ‘07 storm was what brought me to that forum originally (watching HM videos/write-ups with his Big Daddy hat on). I didn’t register until early ‘08… but@RobB I think about takes the crown in the “first” crowd. Feel like he wan’t long after Matrix set it up

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 2

3 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I'm not sure it's worth rehashing the who what why and where if how we all came to be here.  If you all knew how stressful it really was for us, you'd understand how we prefer to move on and let others be.  

The past is the past, and the last couple days have been so encouraging.  We do operate in the generosity of our members, and are working towards have non-profit status making donations tax deductible.

Appreciate all the kind words, but let's keep it positive about what we are doing here.  We don't need to tear anyone down to raise us up 

Thank you @MaineJay.  BTDT.  We should try to learn from the past, live in the present, and plan for the future.  So many weather events and so little time............

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 2

2 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

IMG_0054.jpeg

Guess you're not there yet, huh. I have some quotes from Poc, Rick  and me from that all nighter saved, plus some pics from that phenom, if that helps Finally crashed for about an hour around 8 am or so cuz it had slowed some, then awoke to  3-4 inch rates that lasted hours. Maybe no ?

• Social Media Crew
Just now, JDClapper said:

CMC fairly similar to what we've seen this evening.  

png1.png

I’m starting to think I may be able to pull off 6-10” down this way.. things are looking good! 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, ionizer said:

Let's be honest, that dude is unstable.

His posts were rant like and he would constantly be going. Off about how someone was racist and this and that.  It's like dude, I'm hear to talk about snow.  Keep this personal shit in dms or something.

That and the constant begging for money turned me off entirely.  Seems like every month the server was goong to shutdown meanwhile it seemed like thousands had poured in.  Maybe dude doesnt know how to manage AWS 

He got that site up pretty fast, so I give him respect for that.  He's a little too opinionated for me, though.

• LIKE 1

• Admin
Just now, Lazman said:

Mea Culpa for that. 

No sweat, I didn't mean to put anyone on the spot.  I just didn't want it to turn into a pile up. Wasn't fun to lose the AccuWeather forums, nor the other one, so hard feelings are to be expected.

It's just nice to have a storm, and one that brought a bunch of weather nerds together.

It's there anything weather can't do?

• LIKE 6

• Social Media Crew
1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Guess you're not there yet, huh. I have some quotes from Poc, Rick  and me from that all nighter saved, plus some pics from that phenom, if that helps Finally crashed for about an hour around 8 am or so cuz it had slowed some, then awoke to  3-4 inch rates that lasted hours. Maybe no ?

That storm was something else.. I went out to plow our driveway at the time. It was first thing in the AM, thinking it wouldn’t be too bad. Plow could barely handle it.. and by the time one side of the drive was finished, I swear I had 4” on the other side. I’ve never seen it snow so much, so quickly. 

2 minutes ago, DasGoon said:

He got that site up pretty fast, so I give him respect for that.  He's a little too opinionated for me, though.

Getting a forum site up in today's day and age should not take more than a day honestly.

Second, it's fine to be opinionated, but that dudes judgment seemed to be impacted by everyone he didn't like

• LIKE 1

I'm kind of glad this sped up a bit, can enjoy the meat of it, then try to sleep normally during the backfill/light snow part.  😄 I ain't getting any younger, thats for sheezy.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2