January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

@MDBlueridge don't look now, but your boy HRRR is doing it's thing .. within long range for us MD/PA folk

It's telling us we'll get at least some accumulation at this time frame which is a great baseline. Better than the baseline of hoping to see a white flake in a rain storm

• LIKE 1

44 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Ha, I'll chime in for the interior PA ... best storms in my life that I can remember: .. dang, March seems to be legit around here.

12/16/20

3/14/17

3/2/94

3/13/93

93 was def the goat here . There were other greats as well ( 3/14) I was only 11 in 93 but I remember it so well 

• LIKE 1

2 hours ago, TLChip said:

You have the smarties… yall know who you are the Mets & the others that bring great info to the forum.

@MaineJay  @Poco  @Undertakerson2.0 @Penn State  others I’m missing while I’m next to my stove.

And the rest of us, snow lovers, model riders(max snow), memers. We make a good bunch. 

Agree, its threads like this that make the watching of the storm that much better and more enjoyable.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

The energy is looking nice through hr26 on the 500. The trailing energy also significantly less than 18z. At least for now 

More 12z-ie, maybe a teensy bit more tucked than12z down the road .. speculating with H5 look

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, mikeysed said:

NAM is about to explode 💣

Not really.  Its taking forever to load the hours on pivotal weather.  By the time the full 0z run is completed, the storm will have already passed here.

• LAUGH 2

• Admin

Looking slightly more potent in the mid levels. We are talking small fractions here. And stronger can mean more warmth, so that has to be offset by more precip.

namconus_z700_vort_us_fh36_trend.thumb.gif.5e22668e0bd25fb294fbece203298531.gif

• LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Is HRRR finally becoming almost slightly believable? 

perhaps-hmm.gif.fe21135c3735d17b74db41781303387a.gif

Since I commented on the hrrrr and I haven't posted before I want to be a bit clear. Lol. I realize it ain't the same output every 24 hrs but it will show short term trends and that is a strong signal inside the cone. I love all the models with their own quirks 😆

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

At hr 45 (4pm Saturday).. west edge of snow shield in WPA looks better than 12z (and obviously 18z) 

Mid-level looks potent. She's so close to wanting to go deepening off the coast with some of that trailing energy 

• LIKE 2

4 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

Mid-level looks potent. She's so close to wanting to go deepening off the coast with some of that trailing energy 

Actually best its looked midlevel in a few runs.. wouldn't surprise me to see a nice output for nyc here.. next few frames should tell if so.

• LIKE 2

Just now, Horsepants said:

Classic low placement should make a lot happy. Whish it was a little colder for all to be snow. 

I wish it were.  Then I wouldn't get the dreaded mix.

So weather.gov changed its tune.  Previously Saturday and Sunday during the day I was supposed to get < 0.5" of snow and Saturday night and Sunday night were rain.

Now it has changed to Saturday rain and snow mix with Saturday night and Sunday being < 0.5" of snow each.