January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

Just now, mikeysed said:

Thanks UT.

Sorry for IMBY rant but every model has Morris County 6 to 12 inches and NWS has most of it in 1 to 3... crazy. Yet has a WSW for it.

I think no posters in here that get the quality of the info, forecasting, detailed model analysis should fret over NWS predictions, bad AFD’s, etc. The info in here is real time; there’s is dated, and subject to whomever is at the helm, and even subject to internal politics. I used to stress over same, and gave up. I do enjoy posting great, detailed AFD’s though.

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 2

45 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

columnab-grandpa.gif

How did you get my home video ? I was told it was destroyed….   Yes I am an accountant. 

Edited by Wtkidz
  • LAUGH 2

• Admin
3 minutes ago, 1816 said:

If there's anything we can take to the bank it's this. Maybe we get some snow, maybe not. But one thing is guaranteed before all is said and done. We will be put into an icebox at some point. Its been way too long.  Odds are a thing.

Stealing from clapper? maybe

200w.gif

Funny thing is that way up here, we probably won't see the cold as much, from an anomalous standpoint.  Still only below 10° once this winter for me. Though I am on a hill, and that blunts cold nights for sure.

• LIKE 1

46 minutes ago, Penn State said:

Sometimes I wonder what regular folks reading this forum are thinking.. You know, like guests. Are they like.. wow.. these people are smart. Or is it.. these people are complete whackadoodles? 😂

Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator.gif.cf709ddcef57e20d815ab1372e0d5333.gif

• LAUGH 7

https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=Area Forecast Discussion

Speaking of which, hot off the presses is the updated. Note, I do not agree with the warm tongue protrusion having much of an effect for the Lehigh Valley, a theme that somehow Accu-Philly is also riding. Not seeing a lot to support for that from what we are seeing on this forum. Good detailed write up though. 

6 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Funny thing is that way up here, we probably won't see the cold as much, from an anomalous standpoint.  Still only below 10° once this winter for me. Though I am on a hill, and that blunts cold nights for sure.

Oh sorry bro. I meant regular people cold. Not maine cold. That's a whole other thing. 

We haven't seen frozen ponds/ creeks here really in a few years. We are overdue.  20 degrees highs for a few days would do it, like what UT was talking about. 

That cold snap in Dec 22 was too short lived to do much. 

Edited by 1816
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:42 AM, SnowloverSid said:

I remember a similar post from JDRenken or MDBlueRidge from about 8 years ago on Accuwx forums — I was in the Three-Day Overcast/ Virga Zone with that storm, just like in January 1996 and February 1983. I am in St. Louis now, so I can be flexible as to where the snow ends up.

Awww...come on now....why are you bringing me into this? ;)

• BOMBOGENESIS 1

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That snow line won't be IMBY, but it will be so close I will be able to see it

Good pair of binoculars and I still,won’t be able to see it.    Get the drone charged…   Starts searching Amazon for longe range drones. 

• LIKE 1

12 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Speaking of SLEDS (another segue) I have a chance to own this snowmobile which is the original one my dad bought us in 1970. Some guy dug it out of a pile and restored it to this. It was a Piece O Crap even when new. But man I'd fly down memory lane if I can get it somehow (no that is not me - restoration dude has a sense of humor though)

Screenshot 2024-01-01 090728.png

Those things are becoming extinct so you better grab it. We were just talking about snowmobiles disappearing down this way (Harrisburg area). If that thing moves it's a win

• LOVE 1

WSW with a 4pm start time Saturday, surprisingly. Not surprisingly they already canceled my dads incoming flight to Hartford(BDL), which was set to land at 11:50pm. At least I won't have to drive his ass to his house in this stuff.

The totals keep creeping up more and more, first real storm in at least two years if my memory is right. Can't remember the last time a foot was a possibility. Good luck to my friends to the south of me, Looks like it's going to share some love with a lot of people.

• LIKE 1

Just now, JDClapper said:

Some 21z SREF.  Mean snow .. and a loop of 1" and 4"+ w/in 24 hours probabilities

Man, the Sref maps look a heck of alot prettier on pivotal than on the actual sref site

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Some 21z SREF.  Mean snow .. and a loop of 1" and 4"+ w/in 24 hours probabilities

png1.png

floop-srefens-2024010421.sn10_024h-prob01.us_ne.gif

floop-srefens-2024010421.sn10_024h-prob04.us_ne.gif

Extreme NEPA, HV, into NE.... gotta say that's what I like to see.

• SNOWMAN 1

I’m working in Hometown PA and it’s a mix of SEPA workers and NEPA mostly. 1 from NEPA at a meeting today said “its when they call for a lot we sweep it off, when they call for a little…it tends to be a lot”

Trending in that direction for him.

• LIKE 1

4 minutes ago, TLChip said:

I’m working in Hometown PA and it’s a mix of SEPA workers and NEPA mostly. 1 from NEPA at a meeting today said “its when they call for a lot we sweep it off, when they call for a little…it tends to be a lot”

Trending in that direction for him.

I’m right down the road from you.  Sometimes those  skook mountains can be tricky!

• LIKE 1