January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew
3 minutes ago, TLChip said:

You have the smarties… yall know who you are the Mets & the others that bring great info to the forum.

@MaineJay  @Poco  @Undertakerson2.0 @Penn State  others I’m missing while I’m next to my stove.

And the rest of us, snow lovers, model riders(max snow), memers. We make a good bunch. 

That’s some pretty special company right there.. but that’s like saying Montana, Brady, Manning, and Zach Wilson (I’m Wilson.. 😂)

• LAUGH 3

• Social Media Crew
Just now, LongIslanGurlllll said:

I’m not agreeing with this

Im trying to woo it down to the island 

2E8D8BE1-01DF-43FA-BCB0-BE1C7410644A.jpeg

No.. No.. I’ll take my 10-16”. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

For additional fairness:

Zone 2 (White 4-6")- This is a general range that factors in moderate snow and a mixing of sleet/rain esp over coastal CT/RI/MA. The bust area for this zone is mostly over interior New England and along I-84 in CT where we can go higher-end totals vs lower end. The area for busting on the low range is over eastern PA should mixing become an issue OR heavy snow rates are never reached. This would mean the snow stays wet very long and limits the accumulation

Zone 3 (Pink 6-10") assumes a pure snow event. The 6" will be reached easily but could hit 10" if your area is under enhanced bandings (which are mostly reserved for New England

Zone 4 (Purple 10-16") is purely higher elevations over 1500'. This is why my initial call had 6-16" of snow to factor in the elevation and where the heaviest snowfall would occur. I am still not convinced on snow ratios "Fluff" factor and how that could impact this area

Edited by JDClapper

10 minutes ago, Penn State said:

That’s some pretty special company right there.. but that’s like saying Montana, Brady, Manning, and Zach Wilson (I’m Wilson.. 😂)

You sold yourself short, you already forgot you opened this threat… I don’t have to quote your opener 👍

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

• Admin

GYX

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Active pattern emerges for the long range portion of the forecast.
With the weekend system, 12Z models and ensemble solutions remain in
relatively good agreement bringing low pressure up the Mid Atlantic
coastline on Saturday. This system will organize and intensify
Saturday night into Sunday as it tracks poleward, then east,
northeast on Sunday. As the system never reaches the latitude of
southern portions of the forecast area before heading out to
sea, any drying, northwesterly, downslope winds will be delayed.
Therefore, a few snow showers may last into Sunday evening. The
surface low tucked in close to the coast on the Canadian model
appears to be the outlier solutions at this time. It will be
sufficiently cold at the surface and aloft as we are forecasting
an all snow event for our region. Northern areas may be too far
north to receive much in the way of snowfall with the highest
amounts focused on southeast New Hampshire and southwest,
coastal Maine.

Models do allow for the upper level low to cutoff and capturing
the surface low. This will allow the snow to continue into
Sunday afternoon and possibly the early evening hours as it
diminishes in intensity. In terms of climatology, this system
will represent the second latest event of at least one inch of
snow or more in Portland on record.

These look extremely bullish to me.

StormTotalSnowWeb1(8).thumb.jpg.b07aefbda96315c579b7661ecf9c5dbe.jpg

The high end is just a straight crack map. 

SnowAmt90Prcntl.thumb.jpg.2b0b90cc46edb529af047a9a15f32972.jpg

I'll have the snowblower ready in any event. Ay least the ground is frozen this time.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

image.thumb.png.426b82a32836eec1606d10eb372f8fd6.png

Euro is my hero.. and watching 21z SREF come in, the mean is looking better in the interior than 15z so far through 0z Sunday at least

Long time lurker since the AccuWeather days. Huge thanks to all the posters on here who provide me with endless information and entertainment. I'm a weather freak from way back back. My fascination began with the blizzard of 78 (still the biggest drifts and snow cave building storm I've ever seen). Loved taking the sled with my dad to get fuel oil from the neighbors when we were snowed in and ran out. Saw the great megalopolis  storm of 1983 mentioned in here. I've got some great stories from that one... Hardest I've ever seen it snow. Love the chaos, unpredictability, wonder and beauty of a storm. Anyway I leave the technical physics of it all to smart nerds and sit back and enjoy. Keep up the good work

Edited by Horsepants
  • LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 3

2 minutes ago, mikeysed said:

Thanks UT.

Sorry for IMBY rant but every model has Morris County 6 to 12 inches and NWS has most of it in 1 to 3... crazy. Yet has a WSW for it.

NWS plays it convservative.

38 minutes ago, Penn State said:

Sometimes I wonder what regular folks reading this forum are thinking.. You know, like guests. Are they like.. wow.. these people are smart. Or is it.. these people are complete whackadoodles? 😂

Here in Virginia, DT is still one of the best for our area so I have followed him for years.  It can be quite painful sometimes, but I can still glean the useful meteorology from him.  After years of following him, this forum is cool and calm.

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Off topic but extended range GFS drops te freakin cold hammer in the third week. Temps not higher than TEENS? 

I hate winter. 

If there's anything we can take to the bank it's this. Maybe we get some snow, maybe not. But one thing is guaranteed before all is said and done. We will be put into an icebox at some point. Its been way too long.  Odds are a thing.

Stealing from clapper? maybe

200w.gif

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Horsepants said:

Long time lurker since the AccuWeather days. Huge thanks to all the posters on here who provide me with endless information and entertainment. I'm a weather freak from way back back. My fascination began with the blizzard of 78 (still the biggest drifts and snow cave building storm I've ever seen). Loved taking the sled with my dad to get fuel oil from the neighbors when we were snowed in and ran out. Saw the great magalipilis storm of 1983 mentioned in here. I've got some great stories from that one... Hardest I've ever seen it snow. Love the chaos, unpredictability, wonder and beauty of a storm. Anyway I leave the technical physics of it all to smart nerds and sit back and enjoy. Keep up the good work

Speaking of SLEDS (another segue) I have a chance to own this snowmobile which is the original one my dad bought us in 1970. Some guy dug it out of a pile and restored it to this. It was a Piece O Crap even when new. But man I'd fly down memory lane if I can get it somehow (no that is not me - restoration dude has a sense of humor though)

Screenshot 2024-01-01 090728.png

• LAUGH 3