January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

image.png.963aea40602fd194f5a06b24683e19c8.png

Feels like old times. Mood flakes flying here just to enhance the vibe.
Appreciate all the insights and thoughts being shared. Makes me a workplace hero to save people from being slaves to their apps.
Enjoy the tracking everyone!

• LIKE 4
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 2

41 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Well....if this pans out, I'm going to need to figure out how to operate that darn snowblower.  My normal snowblower operator will be out of town.  My house is under that 9.1 in NY.  Clownmaps are so pretty, won't pan out this way most likely but pretty.

You have more of a chance than I do.  The Gulf Stream keeps Long Island warmer than normal in winter.  Add to that we haven't had much cold weather to slow it down and we're toeing the snow/rain/sleet line which will kill our chance of having any or much snow accumulation.

A very strong blast of cold air pushing southward from Canada would help LI out but won't happen on this storm.

• LIKE 1
  • SAD 1

13 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Wow, was going to back into hibernation, but saw the legendary UT descending from the mountain.

Unlike last year, it's too cold to golf now ( I golfed 16 times last winter) I didn't really improve a whole lot, but still have fun on the course anyway. Since retiring, I'm actually the local course Marshall (part time). Which is just a way the Gen Mgr keeps me around, by pumping my tires with some fancy title. Mostly I'm a grass cop. LOL 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 1

UT old logic still applies. Step down theory was discussed numerous times on old Accu. It’s usually baby steps with large scale pattern changes. Almost like train tracks being laid down. Seldom morph from mild/rain to cold/ snow pattern , and vice-versa overnight. 
So may have a wild ride coming up on this forum👍

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

28 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Hi

Welcome back. Thought you disappeared  back  into the mountains. Well hopefully you bring some luck to those that look to get it.  No luck for  me but I am used to it. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Tom said:

image.png.963aea40602fd194f5a06b24683e19c8.png

Feels like old times. Mood flakes flying here just to enhance the vibe.
Appreciate all the insights and thoughts being shared. Makes me a workplace hero to save people from being slaves to their apps.
Enjoy the tracking everyone!

Group delusions still OK Doc? 

Just now, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

UT old logic still applies. Step down theory was discussed numerous times on old Accu. It’s usually baby steps with large scale pattern changes. Almost like train tracks being laid down. Seldom morph from mild/rain to cold/ snow pattern , and vice-versa overnight. 

Yes sir. This winter's lead in reminds me of 1982- 1983 tbh. Very warm Nov-Dec. January turned seasonally cool with a few minor events, one early and one mid month. Then it went warm and calm until 2/10/83 when all heck broke loose at once. Of course, that's Nino for ya. Lots of nothing and them WHAM! come Feb

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

5 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Group delusions still OK Doc? 

Oh my yes… many thrive on it here… the emotional roller coaster is always more fun with a full train.

2 minutes ago, Hail_On_Me said:

Truly amazing how everyone seemed to have found this place.   UT has returned and it's starting to feel like the old days again!!!    

Still a few missing but a great comeback so far

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 1

12 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

And so often when we have a slow descend into an actually cold pattern its a struggle to rebound back out. 

• THUMBS UP 1

6 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Yes sir. This winter's lead in reminds me of 1982- 1983 tbh. Very warm Nov-Dec. January turned seasonally cool with a few minor events, one early and one mid month. Then it went warm and calm until 2/10/83 when all heck broke loose at once. Of course, that's Nino for ya. Lots of nothing and them WHAM! come Feb

Younger posters should do a search for that 2/10/83 storm. Legendary n’ easter. Some of longest, sustained heavy snowfall rates in memory. 81, 83, 93, 96, 2003, 2016, 2021 are the gold standards for moi for my location. The 2016 one was the Poc, RickRd, and me all nighter- you joined back in early that Saturday, back near the end of old Accu. Yes, the one that created deep scars for PARD 😀

• LIKE 3

2 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Younger posters should do a search for that 2/10/83 storm. Legendary n’ easter. Some of longest, sustained heavy snowfall rates in memory. 81, 83, 93, 96, 2003, 2016, 2021 are the gold standards for moi for my location. The 2016 one was the Poc, RickRd, and me all nighter- you joined back in early that Saturday, back near the end of old Accu. Yes, the one that created deep scars for PARD 😀

Dude.  I literally remember every day leading up To that storm and how everything played out.  It was worse than the worst breakup of my life lol.  I’ll never forget being up the finger lakes getting drunk off wine jumping off walls as the model runs kept coming in w me in the bullseye.  Only to be broken hearted two days later 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

4 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Yes, that 83 event was special. It started in the middle of the day and absolutely poured snow from start to finish. No flurry here and there and light crap for hours. It also got VERY windy after that, my car was buried for nearly 2 days. I seem to recall there being one flash of T snow as well - but it's the rates for full 12 hours heavy, and then those winds. I keep thinking that was a PD storm but it wasn't - it was close to lincoln's b'day but not P-Day. NESIS rated at 6+ IIRC

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

Just now, PA road DAWG said:

Dude.  I literally remember every day leading up To that storm and how everything played out.  It was worse than the worst breakup of my life lol.  I’ll never forget being up the finger lakes getting drunk off wine jumping off walls as the model runs kept coming in w me in the bullseye.  Only to be broken hearted two days later 

Don't mention that one to Clapper either...

• LAUGH 2

19 minutes ago, clm said:

You have more of a chance than I do.  The Gulf Stream keeps Long Island warmer than normal in winter.  Add to that we haven't had much cold weather to slow it down and we're toeing the snow/rain/sleet line which will kill our chance of having any or much snow accumulation.

A very strong blast of cold air pushing southward from Canada would help LI out but won't happen on this storm.

Actually I'm watching Long Island closely as that is where my snowblower operator (aka, my husband) is heading for the weekend for some family stuff.   Been reading everything you all are saying and looking at the models....I agree, Long Island looks to stay too warm for any significant accumulation.

Thanks to everyone for their analysis....I had to laugh at someones comments about being the office weather person, as that seems to be me at my workplace.  Already had 3 people in my office this morning to get "clown maps".  Weather impacts are serious here as I work at a large chemical plant and snow definitely messes with lots of things, as much of the piping/processes are outside.

And so good to see all these old names, I was a different name on the other board but I recognize so many here that I've learned so much from over the years.  And as a geologist by trade and weather geek by hobby, I will say you all rock! (geology humor!) 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Don't mention that one to Clapper either...

I only had to drive over the mountain (5-10miles as the crow flies) to see 1-3". MBY, trace. Sad. But, I will always have Dec 2020 🙂

• LOVE 1