January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

06z Euro.. Solid start to the day. Confirms conventional thought around a narrow swatch of 4-8" up the I-81 corridor, and a more widespread area in SNE. Changeover to wintry mix and rain looks likely SE of I-83. 

9-kmECMWFUSASurface3-HourlyNortheastUS3-hPrecipType.gif.d8fb51b0e7b4176f92fc7ab1affe0919.gif9-kmECMWFUSASurface3-HourlySnowfallSnowfall87.thumb.png.160d8446c62d38ea221772e441c4a12d.png

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

9z SREF is on the NW camp. Lokking at the 1"+, 4"+ pops, the highest probs are actually just NW of Williamsport! Woof. Congrats Erie?

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.png

De ja vu lol. Congrats Binghamton 👏 😅

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Been watching the mid level lows, they ticked a bit northeast with track and when the close off. There's subtle energy that trying to mingle and could push it one way (a little kick) or the other, a little phase. It's near the end of the NAM run I'm talking about, but if it phases a little and slows er down, you might get your reward.

EPS EFI looked pretty good your way.

Yea I read that too.  

15 minutes ago, Penn State said:

06z Euro.. Solid start to the day. Confirms conventional thought around a narrow swatch of 4-8" up the I-81 corridor, and a more widespread area in SNE. Changeover to wintry mix and rain looks likely SE of I-83. 

9-kmECMWFUSASurface3-HourlyNortheastUS3-hPrecipType.gif.d8fb51b0e7b4176f92fc7ab1affe0919.gif9-kmECMWFUSASurface3-HourlySnowfallSnowfall87.thumb.png.160d8446c62d38ea221772e441c4a12d.png

notice how at the end of that loop the snow is trying to backfill in PA in response to that impulse in Ohio "tugging" on it 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, kdskidoo said:

notice how at the end of that loop the snow is trying to backfill in PA in response to that impulse in Ohio "tugging" on it 

Yeah, I dont know that we just noticed or its a recent trend, but might end up with a prolonged light snow Sunday AM out of it, maybe a little C-2" bump if the scenario improves as we get closer? 🤔

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

29 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

9z SREF is on the NW camp. Lokking at the 1"+, 4"+ pops, the highest probs are actually just NW of Williamsport! Woof. Congrats Erie?

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.png

Well....if this pans out, I'm going to need to figure out how to operate that darn snowblower.  My normal snowblower operator will be out of town.  My house is under that 9.1 in NY.  Clownmaps are so pretty, won't pan out this way most likely but pretty.

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • SNOWMAN 2

1 hour ago, PA road DAWG said:

Pretty significant change in events here.  Seems like the storm doesn’t really get going until it’s up in SNE. Whereas before it seemed like MD up thru PA got hit hardest.  

We're definitely at the point where I toss euro/gfs/cmc.

Very interested in 3k NAM/rgem

We're certainly at the point where knowing your backyard, storm evolution, model performance comes into play. Definitely last minute moves a foot. "trends" with this storm is not a word I would utter. Its bounce city. 

Edited by MDBlueridge
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Well....if this pans out, I'm going to need to figure out how to operate that darn snowblower.  My normal snowblower operator will be out of town.  My house is under that 9.1 in NY.  Clownmaps are so pretty, won't pan out this way most likely but pretty.

So if you love snow, don't do anything regarding the snowblower.  If you hate the snow, then spend some time watching snowblower operator videos, maybe get the oil changed and make sure it's all prepared. 😂

I spent about an hour several weekends ago getting mine prepared.  I learned my lesson!  It's back deep in the garage.  Fingers crossed as NW NJ is still holding on to a good chance at 6"+.

• LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 1

7 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Yup. All good dudes. Knowledgeable too. Glad RTC is back. ST was the bomb. Really knew his shit. This forum is great. Low key, informative, fun. Perfect. 

I have it on very good authority that our Chief is in complete CONTROL of this site

image.png.bb72f4bd51e7efd3df21731fb267cab8.png

And has the best agents on TOP of every situation

image.png.a75b30ec85d7a3ea9051c12d349be3d3.png

image.thumb.png.4d8cffc286c4299cbbcaef20f9d1aaee.png

And we also have a resident meteorologist or two using the latest tools and technologies to give us extreme analytical insights to the weather

image.png.4d58fa6048e25cfb36aa57905332897c.png

• LAUGH 6
  • LOVE 1

5 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I finally found the little piece of paper I had written my password down on.

And what's this talk of RTC? I thought he had faded to being a mere myth - kinda like backend snow

Greetings, sir!!

• THUMBS UP 1

7 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I finally found the little piece of paper I had written my password down on.

And what's this talk of RTC? I thought he had faded to being a mere myth - kinda like backend snow

Wow, was going to back into hibernation, but saw the legendary UT descending from the mountain.

• LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

My recent post on my FB page (ystrdy a.m.) about this snow event - some of the language will, undoubtedly, sound familiar.  image.png.3de2caf9ce40ad72f3dfae396b502a82.pngeal in front of us. Sticking with it, waggles still eminent 

YO! UT! Great to see you! Man, this storm brought a lot back!

• THUMBS UP 1