January 6-7, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

7 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

That little piece of spunk out in IL/IN seems to be backfilling the snow in PA .. like @so_whats_happening @Poco alluded to earlier... what could that turn this into?

floop-nam-2024010400.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

GFS had it like that yesterday when it went into its crisis. Maybe NAM is playing catchup. Either way that feature can provide a surprise injection of moisture/energy.

• THUMBS UP 1

19 minutes ago, clm said:

Its an ooooooooold platform started back in the late 70's

It's not really a platform so much as it is a collective storage and set of protocols.

Also the first rule of Usenet is you don't talk about usenet

• LAUGH 2

• Social Media Crew
Just now, TLChip said:

Wow thanks for beating me pennstate, I was just going through that! 

Sorry! I remember from reading about it in the past, there was a surprise. I didn’t know the dates it transpired, nor that the wording was similar to what’s going on today (or.. I think it is at least) 

6 minutes ago, Penn State said:

From the Blizzard of ‘96 post analysis by NOAA.. What’s today? January 3rd? @JDClapper

IMG_0678.thumb.jpeg.19e3bac366058f254abd6997dffc60e0.jpeg

Man, back in the day when I got my weather in a 4 minute segments on TV .. had NO idea about this.  Crazy.

• LIKE 1

• Social Media Crew
Just now, JDClapper said:

Man, back in the day when I got my weather in a 4 minute segments on TV .. had NO idea about this.  Crazy.

Wouldn’t it be something.. apparently Sunday the 7th was also Sunday the 7th in ‘96.. 28 years to the day. 

• LIKE 1

Just now, Penn State said:

Sorry! I remember from reading about it in the past, there was a surprise. I didn’t know the dates it transpired, nor that the wording was similar to what’s going on today (or.. I think it is at least) 

I do recall PSU Weather World calling for minor accumulations on their Friday show, only to have to eat crow on Monday.  Joe B was on there and he had bet on snow (surprise) but their official forecast was "meh".

IMG_4654.png

There was another section about how before they injected new data the costal L was a 1015 originally and jumped down to 1001ish iirc. 

Edited by TLChip
  • LOVE 2

• Social Media Crew
1 minute ago, TLChip said:

IMG_4654.png

There was another section about how before they injected new data the L was a 1015 originally and jumped down to 1001ish iirc. 

And.. I believe new data is coming in tonight, right? Thing is better sampled at 00z from what I saw on X. 

• LIKE 1

22 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

That little piece of spunk out in IL/IN seems to be backfilling the snow in PA .. like @so_whats_happening @Poco alluded to earlier... what could that turn this into?

floop-nam-2024010400.ref1km_ptype.conus.gif

I think we also see the blocking high in Canada holding on a smidge longer…

Something going on, just read about 6 pages to keep up. Very cool to see many peeps returning after a snow drought! 
Now if we could just get Snobal to join along. 

Edited by Rickrd
  • LIKE 2

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

I do recall PSU Weather World calling for minor accumulations on their Friday show, only to have to eat crow on Monday.  Joe B was on there and he had bet on snow (surprise) but their official forecast was "meh".

Yup, WW was where we got our weather from then, and  a few of the greats spun off into doing local clips on the radio _KYW-Philly, and WAEB- Allentown for example. They did finally nail that one a few days out. Except Elliott, who was a bit anal/conservative. He and JB were like fire and ice. Could just see Elliott head in hands while JB was going next level at every meeting :classic_biggrin:

• LAUGH 1

51 minutes ago, LongIslanGurlllll said:

Awe cute dog! 
Gotta say I’m jealous of everyone else’s recent snow! I just realized the pic said 2022 so you’re as snow starved as we are!

Here he was as a pup… same spot in the yard.  More snow, too.

IMG_4746.jpeg

Edited by Burr
  • LOVE 2

Just now, LongIslanGurlllll said:

See that grey area on the island? That’s me lol 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

No worries. Yours is coming. You Long Island peeps get some great ones! When we to your west are in sunny skys

• LIKE 1